Is CJP the defensive equivalent of Cutcliffe

MoodyVol

Charlotte is…weird
Not making a claim either way.

Many of the statements I've read from CJP seem very familiar to the way Coach Cutcliffe, (as primarily an OC), has been described as relying pretty heavily on teaching the opposite side of the ball for a fully rounded, and healthier, football education. I have a ton of respect for CDC.

Maybe I'm just old, tired and want to see this thing turned around. Maybe I'm grasping at straws, maybe I've had one to many mixed drinks...who knows? For me, there is a weird and comfortable familiarity with the way that CJP is going about his business. I'm beginning to believe again.

Last edited:
I like a lot of the direction but the way we finished last two games last year. That thud left me wondering. A Bowl game that would have at least been a better spring board. Saying that my hope springs eternal for the Vols. Right now I'm still at Pruitt is one of the best Defensive guys as long as he has recruited better players than the team he's playing. WE are on the path to getting better players than 80% of SEC and close to equal with the other 2
or 3 teams but that is a 4-5 year process. Until all that plays out he is a great defensive coach for National title Contenders Florida State, UGA & Bama. He can always go back to that ilk and have a great life if he is not cut out to be a HC. Fingers crossed still , 10 years and counting.

I like a lot of the direction but the way we finished last two games last year. That thud left me wondering. A Bowl game that would have at least been a better spring board. Saying that my hope springs eternal for the Vols. Right now I'm still at Pruitt is one of the best Defensive guys as long as he has recruited better players than the team he's playing. WE are on the path to getting better players than 80% of SEC and close to equal with the other 2
or 3 teams but that is a 4-5 year process. Until all that plays out he is a great defensive coach for National title Contenders Florida State, UGA & Bama. He can always go back to that ilk and have a great life if he is not cut out to be a HC. Fingers crossed still , 10 years and counting.

You bring up an interesting point about the mizzou and Vandy games to end last season. No one has given any rational explanation for that dysfunction. I don't wanna speculate about it but CJP was a little upset over a couple of pass plays with Helton and displayed it on the sidelines. The WKU HC opening couldn't have come at a better time. We will see an improved offense eventually under Chaney.
Even going 5-7 and after those 2 horrible games our staff managed to recruit a good class. It'll take half a season imo before we begin to see some team chemistry and bonding displaying itself but unlike last year we hopefully finish strong and impress on some highly sought after recruits. Early on expect to see some growing pains with the younger players. We have a great staff and better things are gonna happen.

Pruitt is Pruitt. He will form his own legacy and style of coaching.
I think so. I like where he came from, I like his demeanor, determination, and passion for winning football. I know it's been said before, but honestly it is said with such conviction it is hard to ignore, but people in the know, people here in Alabama say that Pruitt is the most like Saban than any other coach that has come through that system. Now, that's high praise, but what if we make a commitment to Pruitt for the next five year, take out lumps let him grow into the kind of head coach that everyone, I mean everyone, thinks he will be? Maybe we will have a Clemson, Alabama like run of our own. Pruitt is a man. Jones was a kid.

The fact that Pruitt has been so successful everywhere makes you think that he is an equivalent to D.C., but defensive players don't get the visibility of QB's, so it's difficult to measure.

GO VOLS!!

The fact that Pruitt has been so successful everywhere makes you think that he is an equivalent to D.C., but defensive players don't get the visibility of QB's, so it's difficult to measure.

GO VOLS!!

Pruitt was at Florida State for one season, didn't recruit any of the players on that defense. He was at Georgia for two seasons, again, coaching some one else's recruits. Then he was at Alabama, where coaches come and go and the product is still the same, for two years with players he didn't recruit or develop.

How is he anything like Cutcliffe?

Reactions: Mtnvol80 and 08Vol
Pruitt was at Florida State for one season, didn't recruit any of the players on that defense. He was at Georgia for two seasons, again, coaching some one else's recruits. Then he was at Alabama, where coaches come and go and the product is still the same, for two years with players he didn't recruit or develop.

How is he anything like Cutcliffe?

Recruiting and coaching are not the same thing. Cut is known for QB development and Pruitt defensive backs. We only have one season of work to judge the real comparison of moving to the HC position which is what the original post was about.

GO VOLS!!

This year is another wash. Next year will tell the tale. We must still remember. that everybody is better and if we improve, that won't mean we will be the best every year. If everybody is good, then we will win 8 most years...That's just the way it is.

VN Store

Back