Tennessee Has 3rd Highest Recruiting Budget

DiderotsGhost

Good article in USA Today about recruiting expenses in college football.

NCAA Schools Spending on Recruiting is Skyrocketing

Tennessee has the 3rd highest spending at $2.0 million (behind Bama and Georgia). Probably even more interesting is the programs that are low on the list that have been very good, such as Wisconsin (only $350K), Wash State ($520K), and Washington ($715K).

Most of the SEC schools' budgets probably go to buy media hype about how great their recruiting efforts are, to keep up with the Joneses.

We have to have the worst ROI in the last 10 years. I've never seen so many players never play or see the field before they "retire".

no doubt, we've had it pretty tough...guess it depends on which "curse" you believe in to be the cause...:D

GBO!

Weren't we #1 last year or the year before? I think a lot is due to our, somewhat limited, recruiting base.
That’s the way it’s always been spun. I think we’ve caught up to many states outside of California and Texas. We have way more talent in state than we did 10 years ago.

Though our recruiting budget may always need to be high, I think this is kinda like an airplane taking off. The most energy is spent getting it off the ground and to elevation. Once it hits elevation, it cruises...kinda like some of those schools who spend a lot less than us recruiting.

Reactions: VolinDalton
We should be #1 on this list every year until we win our next national title and then never outside of the top 5 after that and I would be fine with always being #1 on this list. Just win, baby!

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly
We were #1 on the list for many years until recently.

I suspect that many teams, especially Georgia and all teams in the West excluding A&M and Arkansas have a very large undisclosed, under the table budget for direct payments to players.

Would be curious to see the breakdown on those expenses. For instance, does this only include transportation and meals? Or does it also include the salary of the coach while he is on a recruiting trip? Does it also include the salaries of all the advisors involved in recruiting? This is what came to mind when I saw Bama and UGA on the top of that list.

Though our recruiting budget may always need to be high, I think this is kinda like an airplane taking off. The most energy is spent getting it off the ground and to elevation. Once it hits elevation, it cruises...kinda like some of those schools who spend a lot less than us recruiting.
Not so sure about this. Alabama is number one and Georgia is two in spending. They've been at "elevation" for a while now. Notre Dame spends a lot recruiting, too. I believe it is a function of how much priority a school places on being a national brand and a school's local recruiting base more than anything else.

How much does that work out to per player signed? Just from what I remember, we're allowed to sign about 20 players. Is $100,000.00 per player sound about right?

How much does that work out to per player signed? Just from what I remember, we're allowed to sign about 20 players. Is $100,000.00 per player sound about right?

About $80K per player (25 players per class on average), but yeah ... pretty crazy. Once you take into account our top-notch facilities, we're basically spending over $100K per player on recruitment.

Reactions: sport3500
That’s the way it’s always been spun. I think we’ve caught up to many states outside of California and Texas. We have way more talent in state than we did 10 years ago.

Ya. I hate hearing that it’s so difficult to recruit at TN due to the lack of talent. For one we’ve been producing way more talent over the last 10 years or so. If we just got the to 10 prospects in state ever year that alone would be huge. But the other thing that gets lost in the argument is that within a 150 mile radius of Knoxville is about 5 different states. Most of those states produce football talent but don’t have great instate schools competing for their services. States like North Carolina and Virginia. Even Kentucky produces quite a bit of talent these days. So we have just as many kids to recruit within a 3 hour drive of our school as most. We just need to win more and he recruiting will come back to where it used to be

This reminds me of a segment I heard on the Dan Patrick show years ago. Maybe early 2000s. (We were still good at that point) Someone called in and complained about the Yankees buying their championships, which turned into a conversation about teams that spent money to buy wins/ Championships. All of a sudden Dan says, if you want to talk about buying championships, look at the Tennessee Volunteers....they are the poster child. Have you seen their recruiting budget? Most schools average about 200k profit from home games.....Tenn makes close to 2mil....That buys a lot of recruiting trips to Hawaii and California. It’s easy to get the best players when you can literally afford to recruit everywhere and most other schools can’t. (Paraphrasing)

VN Store

Back