'19 Recruiting Forum: Official Georgia State Pregame/Game Thread

nicksjuzunk

Coming home soon.
Date: Saturday, August 31st
Game Time: 3:30 pm ET
Venue: Neyland Stadium, Knoxville, TN
Network: ESPNU

1566689492254.png

The wait is nearly over and the Tennessee Volunteers are almost ready to kick off this highly anticipated 2019 campaign against the Panthers of Georgia State. It's been a long, somewhat bitter wait for Vol fans as 2018 saw upsets vs. Kentucky and Auburn, only to be let down with losses to Vandy and Missouri as the team limped into the off season without a bowl game... again. Let's be honest, there isn't really a scenario that sees Tennessee lose this game, so the keys to victory are much more about what we should hope to see from the game, and not what is needed to win the game, so let's take a look:

Keys to Victory Stuff I'd like to see:

1. Efficient Offense: We don't need to see the playbook opened up. Chaney can probably keep his plays listed on the back of a napkin from Firehouse Subs, but we need to see an offense that is not bogged down, stuck on 3rd downs, and having unforced errors and turnovers. Simply put, execute. The GS run defense game up over 250 yards per game last year. They will do the same on Saturday.

2. Offensive Line Chemistry: The first play of the 2018 season for the Vols was a famously awful blow right up the gut of the Tennessee offensive line and direct hit on JG. Things didn't get much better for the year. I expect Tennessee to go through a lot of players on the OL to see how they look under the big lights in an effort to find their best 5. Wright and Morris will struggle as freshmen, but they need the experience, so be forgiving as they learn on the job. It will pay off when we have a team capable of competing for the division in a couple of years.

3. Shrout and Maurer: Let JG get 2 1/2 quarters and have a seat. I'd like to see Shrout and Maurer both get playing time because it only takes one play to end the season of your starting quarterback. They need as much experience as possible to be ready for the worst case scenario and to hopefully create some clear separation between the two for the back-up role.

4. DL and LB Performance: Our secondary has the potential to be lights out, but there are serious depth concerns up front. The newcomers need plenty of playing time in a low risk game to be ready for higher stakes later this year. Once again, we don't know what we've got on the DL and need to see who shows up on Saturday nights. The Panthers lose 4 of the starting OL from last year, so expect plenty of action behind the LOS.

5. Stay Healthy:
Do this thing.

Prediction:

Georgia State was awful last year, with all due respect to them, this game is about Tennessee having a quality scrimmage in front of 102,455. Look for the offense and defense to be conservative, but effective. The Vols will average over 5 yards per carry and Ty Chandler and Eric Gray will combine for over 200 yards. JG will be exceptionally sharp and efficient with something along the lines of a 15-18 243 4 TD day. Good day to be a Vol.

TN 41
GS 10

😲😲😲
giphy.gif

42-3 I kind of feel that CJP will take the Saban approach and not really beat the crap out of an over matched team. Now if it was AU, UGA, UA etc CJP would hang as many as he could on them. Yes, I do think he would blast Bama if the opportunity arose. He is a coach, and competitive as heck and alumni or not if he is coaching the VOLS I think that is the team he will side with.

VN Store

Back