Thru 3 games. Just my .02

Kicking game outstanding best part of our team
WR few drops could improve downfield blocking
RB no game breakers but steady
LB huge to have Bituli back, Banks can find ball
DB really need Thompson
OL just needs time and some depth but still no short run game
QB it is what it is. JG is the best we have
DL. Biggest problem. No push with either 3 or 4. Do not stop run or get to QB.

Thru 3 games. Just my .02

Kicking game outstanding best part of our team
WR few drops could improve downfield blocking
RB no game breakers but steady
LB huge to have Bituli back, Banks can find ball
DB really need Thompson
OL just needs time and some depth but still no short run game
QB it is what it is. JG is the best we have
DL. Biggest problem. No push with either 3 or 4. Do not stop run or get to QB.

Add really good play by To-To
With LB's getting better and "B" returning, may see d-line become more aggressive. May also seeing more blitzes.

Reactions: bpalmer28
Player development is my biggest worry. I still can’t get over how we blew a game against GA State and our QB still goes to his first read no matter how many guys are covering the WR.

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly
DL is my No. 1 concern. Without question.

If we don’t get pressure - we lose.

If we do get pressure - we win.

Reactions: bpalmer28
Least to most concerning (only my opinion):

Special Teams (all facets look great thus far)
Wide Receiver (Jennings having career season and all of them can get open)
RB (Chandler, Gray and Jordan is a strong group)
LB (now with Butuli back and the emerging HT)
TE (not great / not bad)
D Line (hopefully better LB play helps them look better, still issues with short yardage runs)
O Line (I like moving Wright to Guard hopefully they can get some continuity across the line, lots of talent and youth to build on)
DB (Has excetalent young talent but not as good in coverage as I hoped for especially at Safety)
QB (In need of a QB that practices well to appease Pruitt and plays well to appease the fans, our guy only does 1 of those with consistency)

As much as reality says this team is 1-2 they are a few plays away from 3-0. Problem is the same guys are involved on most of those key moment plays (and have been over the last few years) that were needed and didn't execute.

Reactions: Vfl2407
If we get C+ quarterback play we are 3 - 0. The changes made to the defense are helping - but we will live and die by quarterback play the rest of the year. It has to get better for us to be competitive.

To compete in the SEC, you have to get SEC caliber qb play.

I agree with this.

D-line is #1 concern by far. Even against Chattanooga, felt like they were struggling a bit in the 2nd half. We gave up 151 yards on the ground to them, which is a lot given the level of competition. The only good news is that the LBs look very good, so that might help make up for some of the issues on the DL.

QB play is #2. JG has not looked good this season, and we don't have anyone better than him on the roster. Maybe he gets it together at some point, but thus far, the only stretch where he looked good was after we already took a commanding lead against Chatt.

The O-line seems to be rapidly improving, though, so that's a source for optimism. I still expect these young OL to make mistakes, but we're no longer getting pushed back 2 yards on every running play and allowing defenders unimpeded access to the QB on a regular basis any more. It's far from elite, but it's definitely improved.

Last edited:
Reactions: melted vol
Kicking game is easily the best unit on the team. My biggest concern...overall, we appear to be a soft team. We've got a few guys who will slobber knock you, but for the most part, we just aren't physical enough. Along the same lines, we aren't a very good tackling team.

Kicking game is easily the best unit on the team. My biggest concern...overall, we appear to be a soft team. We've got a few guys who will slobber knock you, but for the most part, we just aren't physical enough. Along the same lines, we aren't a very good tackling team.

This is where I see a huge difference between the "Pruitt players" and "Butch players." To'oto'o made a sensational leg tackle early in the game against Chatt. Very few players in college football could make that tackle.

Some of the Butch Jones players, though, just don't wrap up well. Not all of them; Bituli is a beast and D-Taylor has had flashes of being elite, but any time there's some inexplicable case where we an offensive player breaks free from what should've been a sure tackle, it almost always seems to be a Butch player.

Reactions: CAVPUT
If we get C+ quarterback play we are 3 - 0. The changes made to the defense are helping - but we will live and die by quarterback play the rest of the year. It has to get better for us to be competitive.

To compete in the SEC, you have to get SEC caliber qb play.
D line is worse than QB

Reactions: Vfl2407

VN Store

Back