General Neyland was a wise man

99gator

Congressman
In thinking about this game as I was watching Florida play Kentucky, I had an epiphany. So, in this thread I am not going to bother analyzing who matches up against who (yet), how one team can attack the other, where a team is strong, where a team is weak, etc. I’m throwing all of that out of the window and focusing everything on one of Neyland’s maxims and the reason behind Tennessee’s last win against Florida.

If at first the game - or the breaks - go against you, don't let up... put on more steam.

Beyond all of the other “stuff” that we can breakdown forever, Florida won that game against Kentucky because they kept playing and kept fighting. Florida had turnovers. Florida missed its own chip shot field goal. Florida got stuffed on a 4th and 1. Florida had a player ejected for targeting. Florida was on the road. Florida had several injuries including seeing its QB get broken in half. But, they kept fighting. Did they need breaks of their own to go their way? You bet they did. But, that can’t happen if they had packed it in when several things were not going their way.

When Tennessee last beat Florida, they were down 3 TD’s at one time. They had made several mistakes. And after the bad first half, their first possession of the 2nd half, Dobbs threw another interception. But, they kept playing. They kept fighting.

So, beyond all the other things people break down, I want to know if Tennessee will be able to handle being on the road. I want to know how they will handle the heat. I want to know what happens when they lose momentum and the breaks go against them.

Above all the other things that will get discussed this week, I think this is the biggest.

Great post. I want to believe if they play smart with zero turn overs and make it to the 4th within 3 points then our kicker will nail anything. Based on what I've seen this year, deep down we all believe we will just find a way to lose. We always seem to "Tennessee" it up out there. 🤦

In thinking about this game as I was watching Florida play Kentucky, I had an epiphany. So, in this thread I am not going to bother analyzing who matches up against who (yet), how one team can attack the other, where a team is strong, where a team is weak, etc. I’m throwing all of that out of the window and focusing everything on one of Neyland’s maxims and the reason behind Tennessee’s last win against Florida.

If at first the game - or the breaks - go against you, don't let up... put on more steam.

Beyond all of the other “stuff” that we can breakdown forever, Florida won that game against Kentucky because they kept playing and kept fighting. Florida had turnovers. Florida missed its own chip shot field goal. Florida got stuffed on a 4th and 1. Florida had a player ejected for targeting. Florida was on the road. Florida had several injuries including seeing its QB get broken in half. But, they kept fighting. Did they need breaks of their own to go their way? You bet they did. But, that can’t happen if they had packed it in when several things were not going their way.

When Tennessee last beat Florida, they were down 3 TD’s at one time. They had made several mistakes. And after the bad first half, their first possession of the 2nd half, Dobbs threw another interception. But, they kept playing. They kept fighting.

So, beyond all the other things people break down, I want to know if Tennessee will be able to handle being on the road. I want to know how they will handle the heat. I want to know what happens when they lose momentum and the breaks go against them.

Above all the other things that will get discussed this week, I think this is the biggest.

Say what you want about Butch (and I know I have), his teams were usually at their best when they had their backs against the wall some.

One of my concerns with the Pruitt regime is when their backs get against the wall, the team quits...

The Maxims ALL hold true ALWAYS. Some things do not change in a world of change; that is why the General was wise.

Say what you want about Butch (and I know I have), his teams were usually at their best when they had their backs against the wall some.

One of my concerns with the Pruitt regime is when their backs get against the wall, the team quits...
Butch had leaders on his teams, Dobbs and Barnett were very vocal and mature leaders.

Great post. I want to believe if they play smart with zero turn overs and make it to the 4th within 3 points then our kicker will nail anything. Based on what I've seen this year, deep down we all believe we will just find a way to lose. We always seem to "Tennessee" it up out there. 🤦
WInning is a habit. So is losing. Inner exxpectations are habits of our past.

It's been hotter in Knoxville than it has Gainesville so far this month. Literally has been hotter in September than it was in July. High 90s almost daily, I personally hate it

The general's maxims were essentially derived from military maxims that he adopted for football. For example, the idea that football is a game of mistakes and the team that makes the fewest wins is derived from one of Napoleon's maxims: Military engagements and battles are filled with mistakes and errors. The army that makes the fewest wins.

No they won't and they will most likely tuck their tail and hope it gets over with quick...I HATE not having any confidence in my team but the facts are the facts...They are not good and are not on UF's level...Hell we aren't on Georgia States level...I hope they get better...no place to go but up....I guess

VN Store

Back