If you were head coach...

Proud Army Wife

This is for all of us arm-chair coaches out there. Let's face it, all of us are guilty in this thought, even the coach supporters. We all obviously have differing opinions, but we all love our Vols. I'd like to take a step back from the fl game talk and the controversies and arguments surrounding the program for a minute. I think each stance has valid opinions and we don't know who's wrong or right. So, just for fun, and indulging my curiosity...If you were named UT's head coach today, where would you start? What would you do?

Personally, I'd start with getting to know my team. Identify individual/team strengths and weaknesses. Use that information to create a team identity and mission. 2nd step would be to find out what motivates these players, and adapt my coaching style to individual needs in order to gain their trust. Once that's established, using that to get them to buy into my vision and teach them how to work as one. I think everyone being on the same page is key. Attitude is another. Instilling discipline, respect, etc. All of those are paramount to changing the culture of the program. Becoming a family and understanding the history of the program and what it means to wear the uniform. Exercise pride and confidence into my team that we can get it done.
After all that, follows coaching execution, consistency, strategy and recruiting. I have basic football knowledge, so in that aspect I would be screwed lol. Aside from the obvious that I'm a woman. šŸ˜‚ I do have a lot of managing experience though, and know that success starts with the mental. None of the technical can be worked out until the culture is established, and I think that's what this current team lacks.

Bottom line is work ethic.

Figure out the players that are willing to give all to help the team and themselves.

Weight room, film room, and practice field is where our guys should be when they arenā€™t taking care of academics.

The guys we want are the ones that are headed to the NFL. They might as well win on the way.

I would have the team elect four or five player representatives. They would hold a team meeting once a week without coaches present. The four or five players would then meet with the coaches to hash out anything that may need to be discussed. This would not be team captains who actually have a different role.

Then I would collect all the barber smocks, pile them up and burn them. The coaches would wear khakis and team polos or sweatshirts.

Bottom line is work ethic.

Figure out the players that are willing to give all to help the team and themselves.

Weight room, film room, and practice field is where our guys should be when they arenā€™t taking care of academics.

The guys we want are the ones that are headed to the NFL. They might as well win on the way.
Good points. I always value maturity. Know-how can be taught. You can have all the talent and skills, but if you're just relying on that, are unreliable and lack integrity, you won't get very far.

Reactions: VolForLife83
Watch the movie Junction Boys. Something along those lines.

And I would be fully prepared to be fired. But I wouldnā€™t care because itā€™s needed.

I would be fired after a couple of games for running such an unorthodox offense. I would win, but the media, administration, and fans couldn't handle it.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
First I would have to understand the recruits and the system they were recruited for, put my personal feeling aside and run the offense that my personnel dictates while incorporating about 5% of my style per game.
Year 2 it goes up to 25% my style.
Year 3 to 75% my style
Year 4 100% my style 100% my recruits.

Iā€™d let JG know heā€™s the guy and get the possibility of being benched out of his head. Our starting QB needs to be confident and have minimal distractions going into the FL game.

ā€œBuying inā€ and ā€œpersonal ownershipā€ are cliched phrases used in education, coaches donā€™t need to be liked or feared. They need to be respected and that comes with time, consistency, equality, and success. Players will ā€œbuy inā€ when a coach earns their respect. If a player is unwilling to give maximum effort, it doesnā€™t matter who is coaching. Pruittā€™s player personnel shuffling and lack of urgency are concerning at this level

First I would have to understand the recruits and the system they were recruited for, put my personal feeling aside and run the offense that my personnel dictates while incorporating about 5% of my style per game.
Year 2 it goes up to 25% my style.
Year 3 to 75% my style
Year 4 100% my style 100% my recruits.

I was thinking along those lines last year. Great coaches adapt their "system" to the talent they have at hand. I don't think Pruitt has done that. But, I'm not in favor of firing Pruitt right now. I think we have to give him at least another year. If the Vols don't show significant improvement in year 3 under Pruitt, then it's all on him and he needs to go. I'm pulling for him, but he has to show me he can get the job done before I am a Pruitt fan. He has not done that.

Reactions: PhoenixAZVol
Iā€™d let JG know heā€™s the guy and get the possibility of being benched out of his head. Our starting QB needs to be confident and have minimal distractions going into the FL game.
I don't think JG has any thoughts that Pruitt will bench him. Pruitt has supported him as much as any coach could support their QB. He IS by far our best option at QB.

But what you can do...and should probably give serious consideration to when your #1 QB is 8-15...is pull all three in to your office and have a heart-to-heart convo with them. Something to the effect of "I don't know what it's going to take to score more points, but we are going to find it starting right now." "Jarrett gets the start, and the first three possessions. Impress me, and you stay in. Don't, and we go to Shrout/Maurer for the next three possessions. Same goes for you. If we get to QB #3, you're playing to stay in the game, or else we go back to JG and start over."

"If we end up with Jujuan Jennings at QB, then so be it. But we are going to find a QB who can lead this team effectively, and we are going to find him on Saturday. Florida and the rest of the SEC lie ahead. I don't have time to screw around anymore; it's time to find a leader for this offense."

"The job is Jarrett's to keep, or yours to take. Playtime is over. From this point forward, I want a meat-eater at QB. You go figure out who it's going to be."

And send them out.

Go Vols.
You. I like you.
What Wolf said here pretty much sums up the type of conversations I'd be having with underperforming players.

Reactions: joevol33
I don't think JG has any thoughts that Pruitt will bench him. Pruitt has supported him as much as any coach could support their QB. He IS by far our best option at QB.
He was benched against Chattanooga and had a TD stolen from him by Mauer.

VN Store

Back