UT and UF: Auburn Deja Vu?

secking

I loved how the Auburn game set up last year for Tennessee and was calling for the upset since June of last year. My confidence was 10 of 10. Are those same metrics at play in this game?

Some, but not all. At the beginning of the year, the only reason I couldn’t outright call the upset here was it being at the Swamp where when the game gets close, UT expects something bad to happen (kind of like UK vs UF). But, let’s look at who is actually the better team.

From UT side, the running game has done well now for two weeks in a row (242, 195) and seem to be progressing in that department. I do wish UT kept JG in the game longer and let him throw more to work on timing and confidence. Passing game has been sporadic but opportunities are there, one of the best WR units in the SEC. UT has the passing weapons in the game it needs to win.

From UF side, the UF running game has really struggled, more so than anyone anticipated. Most of that can be attributed to their OL and I think their OL will get better, but the RB haven’t impressed either. As with UT, they have very good weapons in the passing game in the WR unit, VERY good. I’d put both WR groups in top 10 in the country. We simply don’t know about Trask, this is his first start since his FRESHMAN year in HS. More on this in a sec...

KEY note in this game: I waited till today because I wanted to see how injuries would unfold as I believe one is key. UF DE Zuniga looks to be out of this game. He is very good, causes havoc, and is their spark plug.

What will happen: I expect UF to come out fired up to help their QB but the best way for them to do that, is to run the ball. They can’t line it up and run it at anyone so will be interesting to see sweeps, counters, reverses, or the such. I do expect packages for Emory Jones, if nothing else, to help the running game, he is elusive, As mentioned, Trask hasn’t started and been THE man, it’s a LOT different, is he up to the task? Having UT as your first opponent isn’t ideal for UF. UT will disguise, pressure, and bait Trask, I do expect a turnover or two. UT must establish a run game, Ky was dominating UF until the 4th qtr and had Franks not got hurt or Stoops not went ultra conservative, UF loses last week. UT establishes the run, takes shots off play action. UF tries to do the same, if they can establish the run, changes everything for Trask and I would like UF’s chances, but can they?

UT: stop the run, run the ball equals a win the Swamp. Sounds simple, but it’s not.

My prediction: think UF scores early but then struggles again running the ball which forces Trask into mistakes. JG doesn’t need to be a hero, just solid, that’s why the run game is critical here. Don’t need JG to win it, just don’t need him to lose it. With Zuniga and Henderson out, UT finds a way.

My confidence is not a 10, at all on this one. If JG was playing better it might be, but it stands at a 6 confidence in this pick. Need JG to play well...

UT 28 UF 27

If my confidence level was at 6 out of 10, there's no way I'm picking the Vols. After what I've seen so far this year, I need it to be 11 out of 10 to feel moderately safe.

With that being said, I agree with a lot of your points and hope like heck you are right. I'm an optimist and a sunshine-pumper at heart, and I'm ready to get back to believing again.

IMO, the biggest thing UT has going for it is the Noon kick-off. The crowd will be ho-hum at the start and shouldn't be all that intimidating. Jump on them early and don't let up!

I 100% agree. This should not be discounted . Chances are the crowd won’t be at capacity, there isn’t much hype surrounding this game and the crowd won’t get into it right away. We need to set the tone early.

Hate to say it but the Auburn game was a fluke. I thought it was the turning point for the team last year, but they sh!t the bed the rest of the year minus the Kensucky game. This years play has regressed even more which backs up the Auburn game being a total fluke. Tennessee should have had that win and the motivation to kick ass the rest of the year, and they didn't. I'm afraid any SEC win this year will be 100% luck.

Hate to say it but the Auburn game was a fluke. I thought it was the turning point for the team last year, but they sh!t the bed the rest of the year minus the Kensucky game. This years play has regressed even more which backs up the Auburn game being a total fluke. Tennessee should have had that win and the motivation to kick ass the rest of the year, and they didn't. I'm afraid any SEC win this year will be 100% luck.

Auburn was highly ranked in the pre-season last year. They lost an early nailbiter to LSU and lost again to MSU the week prior to playing UT...at 11AM local time. UT caught AU at the most opportune time and made the most of it.

Can UT catch UF sleepwalking tomorrow? I hope so!

Nah. This game has the characteristic killer whale-baby seal feel to it we've grown accustomed to since 1976.

We'll feel good and ridiculously optimistic until sometime late-1st to mid-2nd quarter. Then a turnover or blown coverage replaces those feels with a Groundhog Day sense of dread and impending doom. Then we find ourselves getting flipped around like a pancake on an orca snout as a silent pall falls on the stadium. En route to the rout, we get a late, cheap score without celebration, pack up and head back home.

Desperate to do it all again next year but this time(!), we'll get Andie MacDowell and life will be chilliiiiiiiing...
I can hardly wait; bring on the 2020 Gators, damn it!

Auburn was highly ranked in the pre-season last year. They lost an early nailbiter to LSU and lost again to MSU the week prior to playing UT...at 11AM local time. UT caught AU at the most opportune time and made the most of it.

Ditto

Don’t think the crowd will be much of a factor

JG needs to be a hero compared to what he's been to this point of his career. He needs to anticipate coverage and receivers and deliver the ball on time. If he starts hitting those open receivers, everything else opens up. The run game. The screen game. Those dump downs that are currently snuffed because no one believes he'll hurt them deep with any consistency.

I hope tomorrow we're talking about how he suddenly "got it". I hope he confidently finds and hits open receivers forcing UF to back off the LOS so UT can dominate with the run. But as we sit right now, those hopes are based on nothing but hope. I haven't seen anything in his play this year that indicates he's closer to being the QB UT needs than last year.

Reactions: gisman
I believe this game with all the younger players playing now along with a select few upperclassmen, starts the return of UT football. If we beat them then I think from this point the program and the culture are heading in the right direction. CJP along with his young recruits will show that the Training is heading in the right direction now.

UT 27 G8urds 17

Noon kick gives the underdog an advantage plus G8urds are really banged up at the moment.

Reactions: stephp4ut
Then go cheer for Bama! And when UT whoops dat ass don't come back!

Did I do that right? :)

Fine! I'm gonna stop buying hats if we lose tomorrow. Cut them off financially and force them to fire Pruitt and hire a Real dat gum coach. Laine Keffen would love to come back, you seen his tweets? Oh he's ragretin leaving here big time.

One item of note that has no actual bearing on the game but trivia for your group tomorrow.

The last time an unranked UT team beat UF in Gville, was 1955.
SneakyHandsomeAssassinbug-size_restricted.gif

I think both teams are going to exploit the edges, and use misdirection to get the run game started....makes me nervous about our young players missing assignments....this game is one of the most intriguing Tennessee vs Florida games on recent memory.

Fine! I'm gonna stop buying hats if we lose tomorrow. Cut them off financially and force them to fire Pruitt and hire a Real dat gum coach. Laine Keffen would love to come back, you seen his tweets? Oh he's ragretin leaving here big time.

This will make the boycott of Athens in 2013 (when the Athens Chamber of Commerce had Saban as their keynote speaker) look like child's play!

UT players are all saying the right things before this game, but talk is cheap. UF boasts pregame and backs it up with their performance on the field. We rarely see that from UT unless it is once every 12 years. If we come out playing to win rather than playing not to lose, then that is the launching point of possibly winning this game. If it is the same ole UT, well 1-3 here we come. The pros & cons get discussed about this game every year but the biggest advantage UF normally has is confidence. Win or GTFO (until next game of course).

VN Store

Back