Going into the Vandy game 5-6?

Ty4Vols

Assistant Superintendent, Dorchester
Possible wins SC, UK, UAB
Possible losses Bama, Mizzou

The Miss St win was huge for the Vols to have even a glimpse of hope in making a bowl game. None of the next 5 opponents are below .500 currently. Of the possible wins only UK is on the road. As of today Bama is 1 in the West and Mizzou is 1 in the East. Although Mizzou cannot be ranked in the coaches poll they should crack the top 25 in the AP when the new polls are released today and with that game on the road it will be even tougher.

SC is tough defensively. Even if their QB is out the 3rd string guy is very mobile and there was no change to the offense when he was in the game. They get Florida next week and if they pull off 2 upsets in a row then we might be getting them at the worst possible time. I personally feel this is the toughest of the possible win games the Vols have. A loss here and every remaining game becomes a must win to make a bowl.
Key to victory: no targetting penalties in second half of the Bama game. The Vols need the same D that showed up against Miss St.

UAB comes into Knoxville after SC. They have a 5-1 record currently with their only loss being to WKU. Can we call Helton and get the Defensive plan they utilized to hold UAB to their season low 13 points? Vols should be favored at home here and win.
Key to victory: Be prepared and take this game and this team extremely serious. Can't have the Vols team that played the home opener show up for homecoming.

UK is statistically similar to the Vols in scoring and most offensive and defensive stats. They righted the ship this weekend holding off Arkansas but they also lost easily to the same Miss St. team the Vols just beat. That may mean something or nothing at all. Currently the Cats are the favorite according to ESPN but that can change easily over the next few weeks. I like the Vols chances here on the road at Kroger Field to sack a few Cats and bag up a victory. (Horrible grocery store jokes please dont laugh AT me)
Key to victory: Stay focused for 60 minutes. This game will come down to who makes the most of the other teams mistakes.

Anything is possible but how do you feel about the Vols going into their final game at home in neyland in front of 102,455 on Nov 30th with a chance to make a bowl?

The Miss St win was huge for the Vols to have even a glimpse of hope in making a bowl game. None of the next 5 opponents are below .500 currently. Of the possible wins only UK is on the road. As of today Bama is 1 in the West and Mizzou is 1 in the East. Although Mizzou cannot be ranked in the coaches poll they should crack the top 25 in the AP when the new polls are released today and with that game on the road it will be even tougher.

SC is tough defensively. Even if their QB is out the 3rd string guy is very mobile and there was no change to the offense when he was in the game. They get Florida next week and if they pull off 2 upsets in a row then we might be getting them at the worst possible time. I personally feel this is the toughest of the possible win games the Vols have. A loss here and every remaining game becomes a must win to make a bowl.
Key to victory: no targetting penalties in second half of the Bama game. The Vols need the same D that showed up against Miss St.

UAB comes into Knoxville after SC. They have a 5-1 record currently with their only loss being to WKU. Can we call Helton and get the Defensive plan they utilized to hold UAB to their season low 13 points? Vols should be favored at home here and win.
Key to victory: Be prepared and take this game and this team extremely serious. Can't have the Vols team that played the home opener show up for homecoming.

UK is statistically similar to the Vols in scoring and most offensive and defensive stats. They righted the ship this weekend holding off Arkansas but they also lost easily to the same Miss St. team the Vols just beat. That may mean something or nothing at all. Currently the Cats are the favorite according to ESPN but that can change easily over the next few weeks. I like the Vols chances here on the road at Kroger Field to sack a few Cats and bag up a victory. (Horrible grocery store jokes please dont laugh AT me)
Key to victory: Stay focused for 60 minutes. This game will come down to who makes the most of the other teams mistakes.

Anything is possible but how do you feel about the Vols going into their final game at home in neyland in front of 102,455 on Nov 30th with a chance to make a bowl?
I see wins over Kentucky, UAB, Vandy.

Mizzou and USCe are both toss-ups to me. USC with the 3rd string QB will be bad on offense, but their D is really good. Mizzou is solid, but not great. Depth is a problem for both of them. If our OL holds up against Mizzou, I can see that being a win.

Reactions: RollerVol

Not impossible, but it's a really tall order for this team to make a bowl game. If they do, it would be one of more remarkable turn arounds by a UT team I can remember. It would surpass 1988 in my mind and if it turns out to be the same type of spark, I would consider this years team to be very special in the return of our program to relevance.

I would almost bet the house they won't make a bowl. And it's not necessarily because they can't. It's because I don't think they will want to. This group has deliberately done everything they can to avoid getting to a bowl. Last year they knocked off Kentucky and then they just fall apart against Missouri and Vanderbilt. It was pretty well documented some players said they didn't want to go through another month of practice to go to a mediocre Bowl. A lot of those players are still there and it only takes a couple

Reactions: Ancient Reptile
If they get to 5-6 going into the Vandy game they're going bowling.
I would argue no. There's a lot of guys on this team that have deliberately avoided going to a bowl game for a couple years. They didn't want the extra practices. Supposedly some of the players got together last year and looked at their last three games and determined which one they wanted to win the most and they chose Kentucky. Then they just totally whiffed on the other two. They didn't want to go through another month of practice just to go to a mediocre Bowl. It doesn't take the whole team to have that mindset. If it's just a couple players it can doom you.

Reactions: mpfvol
I would argue no. There's a lot of guys on this team that have deliberately avoided going to a bowl game for a couple years. They didn't want the extra practices. Supposedly some of the players got together last year and looked at their last three games and determined which one they wanted to win the most and they chose Kentucky. Then they just totally whiffed on the other two. They didn't want to go through another month practice just to go to a mediocre Bowl. It doesn't take the whole team to have that mindset. If it's just a couple players it can doom you.
That won't happen this year. Not enough of those guys playing anymore. He went with his guys which is what he had to do. Got too get to 5-6, will be a tall order. I see 5-7 again honestly. They'll be looking back at those first two games and kicking themselves.

I would argue no. There's a lot of guys on this team that have deliberately avoided going to a bowl game for a couple years. They didn't want the extra practices. Supposedly some of the players got together last year and looked at their last three games and determined which one they wanted to win the most and they chose Kentucky. Then they just totally whiffed on the other two. They didn't want to go through another month practice just to go to a mediocre Bowl. It doesn't take the whole team to have that mindset. If it's just a couple players it can doom you.
I don't think this team would quit again

Reactions: FrankenVol54
I hope we have that opportunity. GBO!

images

5-6? Ya'll are nuts. 4 wins is the ceiling, up to that point. A very high ceiling. Vandy could be the 5th.
I mean, beat Bama? LOL. Beat UAB? Maybe. Beat USC, maybe. Beat Missouri, no. Beat UK, a very unlikely maybe. I like our chances against Vandy. But definitely not a gimme.

Reactions: JohnD13
That won't happen this year. Not enough of those guys playing anymore. He went with his guys which is what he had to do. Got too get to 5-6, will be a tall order. I see 5-7 again honestly. They'll be looking back at those first two games and kicking themselves.
Maybe.we can hope

This may be the worst Vandy team in Mason’s tenure. We going into that game 5-6, we may as well start researching which bowl we’re getting into.
The problem is that we are dealing with the worst Tennessee team in history also LOL. The Mississippi State win was nice but we can't say just yet we are back. We thought the same thing after Auburn and Kentucky last year

5-6? Ya'll are nuts. 4 wins is the ceiling, up to that point. A very high ceiling. Vandy could be the 5th.
I mean, beat Bama? LOL. Beat UAB? Maybe. Beat USC, maybe. Beat Missouri, no. Beat UK, a very unlikely maybe. I like our chances against Vandy. But definitely not a gimme.
May heart says you are wrong. My brain says I think he right....

Bowl game is crazy talk. That's even before I found out UAB is 5-1 and has an off week before they play UT.

Reactions: FLVOL_79

VN Store

Back