Dan Fleser article. TN adds Darby. Westbeld eliminates TN

I don't really follow Lady Vol BB much, but I am a fan and I like Harper. My question to you people who know is do you think she and her staff will be able to keep up with other SEC teams in recruiting? I mean, if there is one thing Holly's staff seemed to be able to do was recruit. It seems a lot of highly rated players don't have interest. Am I wrong? Are the floodgates going to open later on?

I don't really follow Lady Vol BB much, but I am a fan and I like Harper. My question to you people who know is do you think she and her staff will be able to keep up with other SEC teams in recruiting? I mean, if there is one thing Holly's staff seemed to be able to do was recruit. It seems a lot of highly rated players don't have interest. Am I wrong? Are the floodgates going to open later on?

The answer for this year is going to be no most likely.

Players are going to want to see if she can get on the court results. If she does that, then I think we can recruit at an elite level. I don't however believe we have elite recruiters who can bring top players in outside of that.

That is JMO.

A lot depends on how they do this year and how well they develop relationships with the 2021 players.

Reactions: lvocd and DonDiego
Holly was without a doubt a terrific recruiter. Even when people began to pick up on the fact that she was not great in the player development field or in game coaching, she still found a way to add Westbrook, Davis, Hayes, Green, and then as it became more apparent, Massengill, Green, and Horston. Up until the class of 2019, Holly was certainly the best recruiter in the SEC (Vic and Dawn scored better 2019 classes).

Aside from a year or two, Holly pretty much picked up right where Pat left off from a recruiting standpoint, landing DeShields, Cooper, Russell, Nared, Westbrook, and so on. As both a player and coach of the Lady Vols, the ties remained extremely strong when Holly took over, and I think thats why there was such an easy transition from a recruiting standpoint. Holly didn’t need to win to get the elite recruits, because she stepped in to an established program that she helped create as a player and a coach.

Kellie still has the ties to Pat because she played for her, but it doesn’t compare to the situation Holly stepped into. Kellie has some work to do in terms of winning and building, but I’m confident she will get there. She may be on a relatively short leash because very few coaches in the country have then cupboard that she has in her first year - meaning she doesn’t have to start from scratch, she just has to work some kinks out.

For instance, Cal just hired their former associate (she took last year off) as their HC, and she just landed a top-60 recruit and is expected to land another.

The slightly worrying, but not troubling thing is that we’ve twice been eliminated after OVs, by both Reese and Westbeld. I will remain satisfied with this higher unless one of two things occur: (1) The 19-20 season is disastrous or (2) the 2021 recruiting class is disastrous. I’m optimistic neither will happen.

Holly was without a doubt a terrific recruiter. Even when people began to pick up on the fact that she was not great in the player development field or in game coaching, she still found a way to add Westbrook, Davis, Hayes, Green, and then as it became more apparent, Massengill, Green, and Horston. Up until the class of 2019, Holly was certainly the best recruiter in the SEC (Vic and Dawn scored better 2019 classes).

Aside from a year or two, Holly pretty much picked up right where Pat left off from a recruiting standpoint, landing DeShields, Cooper, Russell, Nared, Westbrook, and so on. As both a player and coach of the Lady Vols, the ties remained extremely strong when Holly took over, and I think thats why there was such an easy transition from a recruiting standpoint. Holly didn’t need to win to get the elite recruits, because she stepped in to an established program that she helped create as a player and a coach.

Kellie still has the ties to Pat because she played for her, but it doesn’t compare to the situation Holly stepped into. Kellie has some work to do in terms of winning and building, but I’m confident she will get there. She may be on a relatively short leash because very few coaches in the country have then cupboard that she has in her first year - meaning she doesn’t have to start from scratch, she just has to work some kinks out.

For instance, Cal just hired their former associate (she took last year off) as their HC, and she just landed a top-60 recruit and is expected to land another.

The slightly worrying, but not troubling thing is that we’ve twice been eliminated after OVs, by both Reese and Westbeld. I will remain satisfied with this higher unless one of two things occur: (1) The 19-20 season is disastrous or (2) the 2021 recruiting class is disastrous. I’m optimistic neither will happen.
hammer 22 could you interpret what OV' s
Reese and Westbeld mean to a novice fan
as my self. Very good post explaining about
recruiting

hammer 22 could you interpret what OV' s
Reese and Westbeld mean to a novice fan
as my self. Very good post explaining about
recruiting
After both Madeline Westbeld and Angel Reese's official visits (OVs), Tennessee was eliminated. I have also heard that Westbeld is down to Notre Dame and Tennessee (unconfirmed), so it very well may be a case of the information given to The Chattanoogan (who I believe published the information of Westbeld) was specifically given in regards to Tennessee recruiting, and they didn't bother to mention that Westbeld dropped UCLA and Ohio State -- if that is the case, nothing to worry about. Reese dropped both South Carolina (which she never visited) and Tennessee, and is reportedly down to Syracuse, Maryland, and Southern Cal.

Another aspect that I didn't touch on earlier is relationships. When Holly took over, she had established relationships with everyone she was recruiting since she was previously on the staff. Similar instance with the Cal coach. Players certainly look for strong relationships with the coaches recruiting them, and Kellie lacked sufficient time to build those relationships for the 2020 class. Not easy to just jump in the game with elite 2020 recruits that have been developing coaches with relationships for 3-4+ years and you have five months.

It's a huge question mark and anyone who says otherwise is lying. One thing Holly was smart enough to do was to hire terrific recruiters on her staff and have the guts to a make change when an assistant wasn't pulling her weight. Kellie hired... her husband.

It's a huge question mark and anyone who says otherwise is lying. One thing Holly was smart enough to do was to hire terrific recruiters on her staff and have the guts to a make change when an assistant wasn't pulling her weight. Kellie hired... her husband.

You’re also leaving out that she hired Goldwire and Sullivan. Goldwire had a hand in bringing Megan Gustafson (Iowa’s national player of the year there) along with Chelsea Dungee and Amber Ramirez to Arkansas two potent players. So while she did hire her husband she also brought a coach that Arkansas tried its hardest to not let go because of her talent and potential. You don’t see schools/teams matching other schools offers often in WBB for assistant coaches.

Just didn’t want you to forget the Goldwire hire and how big of a deal Arkansas made to keep her 😃

Westbeld was never a factor she is Notre Dame when she gets tired of visits.

That was my feeling from the start. She literally grew up being a Notre Dame fan who likely idolized her older sister who was a star player for the Irish.

My strongest intuition about Westbeld is that she and her family also have a lot of respect for Tennessee, and they showed their respect by putting the Lady Vols in their Top 5. Even knowing all along that she is VERY LIKELY to follow in her sister’s footsteps, I was touched by the Westbelds’ show of respect.

I actually hope she does end up at ND. That would be an incredibly special experience for the sisters to share.

Last edited:
After both Madeline Westbeld and Angel Reese's official visits (OVs), Tennessee was eliminated. I have also heard that Westbeld is down to Notre Dame and Tennessee (unconfirmed), so it very well may be a case of the information given to The Chattanoogan (who I believe published the information of Westbeld) was specifically given in regards to Tennessee recruiting, and they didn't bother to mention that Westbeld dropped UCLA and Ohio State -- if that is the case, nothing to worry about. Reese dropped both South Carolina (which she never visited) and Tennessee, and is reportedly down to Syracuse, Maryland, and Southern Cal.

Another aspect that I didn't touch on earlier is relationships. When Holly took over, she had established relationships with everyone she was recruiting since she was previously on the staff. Similar instance with the Cal coach. Players certainly look for strong relationships with the coaches recruiting them, and Kellie lacked sufficient time to build those relationships for the 2020 class. Not easy to just jump in the game with elite 2020 recruits that have been developing coaches with relationships for 3-4+ years and you have five months.
Thank you hammer. Really appreciate it 😊

Reactions: mcannon1
You'll see a continued drop in in recruiting. It'll be a decade or more before UT becomes. Top 20 mainstay again

I seriously believe that it is too early to worry about recruitment. KJR did not come from a power 5 conference. She also got into the recruitment process for top players later than most top D1 coaches. If she puts a good product on the floor, and she has the players to do so, I believe some top players who have not signed early, will want to be part of the program. If KJR happens to beat some of the top power 5 teams, or loses but gives them a run for their money, she is playing this season, the recruiting flood gates will be wide open for the LVs. Above all things she needs to beat teams with lesser talent and I believe she will. I praise her for one thing, she has not panicked and recruited players for the sake of getting numbers. I really believe the LVs will be fine. Remember, there will be some growing pains, however, rock steady and I believe you, and other fans, will be pleasantly surprised.

I seriously believe that it is too early to worry about recruitment. KJR did not come from a power 5 conference. She also got into the recruitment process for top players later than most top D1 coaches. If she puts a good product on the floor, and she has the players to do so, I believe some top players who have not signed early, will want to be part of the program. If KJR happens to beat some of the top power 5 teams, or loses but gives them a run for their money, she is playing this season, the recruiting flood gates will be wide open for the LVs. Above all things she needs to beat teams with lesser talent and I believe she will. I praise her for one thing, she has not panicked and recruited players for the sake of getting numbers. I really believe the LVs will be fine. Remember, there will be some growing pains, however, rock steady and I believe you, and other fans, will be pleasantly surprised.

Agree with this post! With 12 players and only losing two ( mostly non contributors) you will have every one back ( major contributors) plus a shooter coming in (so far ) for next year !

Plus there is the transfer portal and graduate transfers to consider.... Look at Louisville getting two transfers from Georgia Tech (Sophomores) to keep his program viable . Kentucky got a #1 guard (Patterson) . Vic got a gift from aTm who some think was the best rebounder in the SEC . I could keep on going but this is not necessary! We just have to win ! Everything else will take care of itself. JMO

Win the games you are supposed to win and we are already ahead of this resent fiasco! Play fundamental basketball and maybe you can pick up a win that you are not supposed to win ? 🙏

VN Store

Back