‘23 TN OG Lance Williams (Virginia Tech commit)

EdEcEko77

Elite ★★★★★ Poster
Last edited:
Got a buddy that coaches at Alcoa. Says he is a good kid and works hard on the field and in the weight room. Doesn’t know him to well yet since he is a freshman and he coaches on the defensive side of the ball.

Reactions: GoVolsDR
I know Friend isn't the only one responsible for the Oline transformation but I think he's outperformed a lot of people's expectations there in development and recruiting.
It's amazing that the lynch mob has almost been completely dismissed this year.

Oline and Dline have both turned around and are definitely improving.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Good lord this is a big young man. My youngest son is a freshman in HS also and is lucky to see 120lbs.

Reactions: Smokey19rt

Be interesting to see if Vols offer.He won the states in wrestling at HWT as a Freshman going undefeated this year.

34-0 record, very unusual for a freshman in that weight class to be so dominant. Says he's 6-4, 295 now...long time off but with Williams and Jeffries, we might have some truly elite instate OL talent in the '23 class.

Reactions: T Dog and Devo182
Williams has been a Tennessee fan as long as he can remembers and has been to campus countless times. He even visited for camps under the previous coaching staff and met former offensive line coach Will Friend on multiple occasions.

The 6-foot-4, 295-pound offensive lineman is hoping to get back to Tennessee for another camp in the near future to interact with the new coaching staff. He also wants to camp at Clemson, Auburn and Ole Miss.

Williams holds early offers from Kentucky, South Carolina, Tulane and Eastern Kentucky. He’s hoping to receive an offer from the Vols in the near future.

“They’ve called (Alcoa) Coach Rankin a lot,” Williams said. “To check on my grades, height, weight, things like that. I have a feeling they’ll offer me pretty soon.

“My aggressiveness and being able to move, being this big, is what I’ve heard college coaches like about my game. My technique and handwork is what I’m continuing to work on. I work on it all the time. Any time I can get some work in I do.”

Williams is going to play guard or center this upcoming season for Alcoa. He played tackle his freshman and sophomore year, but is being moved to guard to be the main pulling guard this season.
- VQ

Camping at Tennessee is no ordinary camp for local offensive lineman Lance Williams.

The 2023 lineman from nearby Alcoa High School has been around Tennessee all his life. His mom graduated from UT and he’s grown up a fan of the Vols.

An offer from Tennessee would mean quite a bit to Williams and he’s hoping a recent trip to campus to camp with the Vols is one of the first steps in earning that offer.

“It was great,” Williams told Volquest. “Coach Elarbee said I did good and it was a good camp. He likes how I play.

“I really like it here and it’s close to home. He’s a good coach and I really enjoyed being coached up by him.”

Tennessee took Williams on a tour of the facility following camp before he then took photos in UT gear at Neyland Stadium with his family.

While all of that is fun, the 6-foot-4, 300 lbs. lineman was more focused on showing Elarbee and the Vols how he can move around.

“I was expecting to have some good competition and I did,” Williams said. “We did good in the one-on-ones and I had a couple of friends here from close schools and I had a good time.

“He liked how I was flexible and how I could move and how I can stay in front. They also like the aggressive streak that I have to me.”

Tennessee head coach Josh Heupel even made sure to seek out Williams during the camp. Afterwards, Williams and his family had a “great” conversation with Elarbee.

“Coach Heupel was telling me good job on my one-on-ones and that he liked me being out here,” Williams said. “It means a lot to my Momma because she graduated from here. And it meant a lot to me too because I’ve always been a Tennessee fan.”

Williams currently possesses eight offers from Kentucky, West Virginia, South Carolina, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Tulane and Newberry.

The Alcoa product has visited Clemson, Auburn, Kentucky and Georgia Tech to this point in the summer in addition to his trip to see the Vols.
- VQ

VN Store

Back