JG Early Season vs JG Mid Season

DiderotsGhost

Undoubtedly JG has been playing better the past several games relative to the early season. However, his stats are pretty similar except in 2 areas:

JG First 5 Games

Completion Rate: 62.2%
Yards per Attempt: 7.65
Touchdowns: 7
INTs: 4
Attempts per INT: 24.5
Rushing Yards: 5
Yards per Rush: 0.3

JG Last 5 Games

Completion Rate: 62.0%
Yards per Attempt: 9.18
Touchdowns: 6
INTs: 1
Attempts per INT: 71
Rushing Yards: 26
Yards per Rush: 1.3

Basically the main difference is he's completing longer throws and he's not making the careless decisions with the ball he did early in the season. The 9.2 ypa average over the past 5 games is particularly impressive, especially when you couple it with the fact that he's only thrown 1 INT. He's not a game-changing QB, but he's been very solid these past 5 games and has made very few big mistakes.

Undoubtedly JG has been playing better the past several games relative to the early season. However, his stats are pretty similar except in 2 areas:

JG First 5 Games

JG Last 5 Games

Basically the main difference is he's completing longer throws and he's not making the careless decisions with the ball he did early in the season. The 9.2 ypa average over the past 5 games is particularly impressive, especially when you couple it with the fact that he's only thrown 1 INT. He's not a game-changing QB, but he's been very solid these past 5 games and has made very few big mistakes.
Nice use of statistical analysis. I think the mental part of the game is coming back to him. I truly feel he spent the first part of the season wondering where the hit was coming from. He was so concerned about the pass rush because of last year that he was looking down first. That made him look up for the receiver late, causing the throws to be late. It could be why he is doing better coming off the bench right now. He can exorcise those demons before he has to actually face them on the field.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
LOL, it's funny when the Vol media people steal my posts. This is not the 1st time it's happened. I've had at least 3 or 4 stolen almost word-for-word this season. Not complaining, but it would be nice to get a little bit of credit.

Last edited:
LOL, it's funny when the Vol media people steal my posts. This is not the 1st time it's happened. I've had at least 3 or 4 stolen almost word-for-word this season. Not complaining, but it would be nice to get a little bit of credit. :)

I would call Mr. Rutherford and tell him you want your residuals check ;)

JG First 5 Games

JG Last 5 Games

His completion percentage of YPA have never been his problem. His problems have been reading defenses, holding the ball too long, and basic QB decision making. The second half of Kentucky might have been the best we've seen him play on those fronts since Auburn last year.

JG First 5 Games

JG Last 5 Games

He was a game changer Saturday night vs Kentucky. He was a game changer last year vs Auburn and Kentucky. He was nearly perfect vs MSU this year, he did pretty much whatever he wanted vs SCjrs, he's played above average in every win we've had this year. He's got 2 big wins vs SEC West opponents the last 2 years which is something we've historically struggled to do. He may not be a gamechanger per say but his resume is growing. If we win the next 3 playing JG the only question marks against him will be can he win a big game? If we somehow win 2 of 4 next season vs Florida, Ga, Al and Oklahoma he could really change how NegaVol never JG fans view him.

he's the best game-changer we have now...heck, who knows if BM will play or even needs to play anymore this regular season...the BM now is not the BM before all the hits...

GO BIG ORANGE!

If we win the next 3 playing JG the only question marks against him will be can he win a big game? If we somehow win 2 of 4 next season vs Florida, Ga, Al and Oklahoma he could really change how NegaVol never JG fans view him.

Winning a big game would definitely help change perception on him. Auburn 2018 is still the biggest win on his resume.

That said, the idea that he's "the worst UT QB ever" that some on VN have has always been garbage. He's easily the 3rd best QB we've had this decade and probably in the top 10 since the 80s. Ainge and Bray are still ahead of him IMO, but he's better than Worley, Peterman, Simms, Dormady, and Crompton.

He is finally getting comfortable in yet another new system. The boy played confused the first half of the season. He overthinks every situation. Too many OCs and too many QB camps. He actually looked relaxed on Saturday night. He may not like the moniker his teammates have put on him, 6th man, but it is true. He does better coming off the bench.

Winning a big game would definitely help change perception on him. Auburn 2018 is still the biggest win on his resume.

That said, the idea that he's "the worst UT QB ever" that some on VN have has always been garbage. He's easily the 3rd best QB we've had this decade and probably in the top 10 since the 80s. Ainge and Bray are still ahead of him IMO, but he's better than Worley, Peterman, Simms, Dormady, and Crompton.
He's fourth at best. You forgot Dobbs.

Reactions: SAPPER 5
I hate to be “that guy” but WTH. The difference between winning and losing has not been Guarantano or any QB on our roster...it has been the fact that we played three really bad SEC offenses, and the defense shut them down.

Hare are some stats:

PPG in SEC play is 18. And, okay, to play along, in the three SEC victories it is 23.7 and that includes the SC game with 2 special teams scores. Take those out and the offense averaged 19 PPG in those three victories.

In contrast, the defense only gave up 14.7 PPG in those three wins.

I give Guarantano credit for making some clutch plays, but a look inside the numbers shows that the offense really hasn’t improved that much. The defense is carrying the team.

Reactions: tbh
The biggest concern with JG is that we are not good in the red zone when he plays. I'm not saying we are better in the limited sample size with the other QBs, but he doesn't cash in at nearly a high enough rate for a redshirt junior QB with the WR talent we have on the team. We are currently 105th in the country in red zone offense. It's a miracle and major credit to the defense that we have 5 wins with so poor a return on rz trips. We've only scored 16 touchdowns on 35 trips into the red zone and 5 of the 16 were against Chattanooga and Georgia State.

Our ceiling is a 6-7 win type team until that stat changes dramatically. It wouldn't hurt to improve our 1st downs generated quite a bit too, we are tied for 93rd in that department.

Reactions: tbh and VAVol85
I hate to be “that guy” but WTH. The difference between winning and losing has not been Guarantano or any QB on our roster...it has been the fact that we played three really bad SEC offenses, and the defense shut them down.

Hare are some stats:

PPG in SEC play is 18. And, okay, to play along, in the three SEC victories it is 23.7 and that includes the SC game with 2 special teams scores. Take those out and the offense averaged 19 PPG in those three victories.

I give Guarantano credit for making some clutch plays, but a look inside the numbers shows that the offense really hasn’t improved that much. The defense is carrying the team.

Defense carrying a team has been working just fine for the Patriots. 2000 Ravens as well. But hey any chance to throw some shade right?

Hare are some stats:

It's not being that guy, it's just the truth. We don't score or move the ball very well at all right now. Kentucky gave up more points every team except Missouri this year. We had something like 28 total yards of offense in the last 18 minutes of the game Saturday. The defense won that game.

Reactions: sona
Defense carrying a team has been working just fine for the Patriots. 2000 Ravens as well. But hey any chance to throw some shade right?

Nope, just pointing out that the turnaround hasn’t been some great renaissance by JG.

Lets see how he does as a starter. I think he gets rid of the jitters by sitting out at least the 1st quarter.

What? The last time New England wasn't a top 4 scoring offense in the NFL was 2009 when they were 6th. They've been the highest scoring team in the league twice and 2nd highest 3 times since 2009. Their defense hardly carries them. They just play well on both sides of the ball and either side of it can carry the other when one has a bad day.

I
he's the best game-changer we have now...heck, who knows if BM will play or even needs to play anymore this regular season...the BM now is not the BM before all the hits...

GO BIG ORANGE!

It would be a good omen if just 1 QB finished the regular season sans mop up but like CJP said after Bama we would need JG this season, I believe we will see BM again.

Hare are some stats:

True, but Phil Simms and Eli Manning have four super bowl rings. Up until the last 4-5 years, the Bama QB has always had the title of "game manager" for the Bama D. If that's the formula for Wins, I'm all in. Don't turn the ball over, make a few splash plays, manage the game, and let the D do their stuff!

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
What? The last time New England wasn't a top 4 scoring offense in the NFL was 2009 when they were 6th. They've been the highest scoring team in the league twice and 2nd highest 3 times since 2009. Their defense hardly carries them. They just play well on both sides of the ball and either side of it can carry the other when one has a bad day.

If not for their defense, the Patriots would likely have only 1 SB win. Offense sells tickets and defense wins championships. What has Clemson and Bama had these past years? Dominant defense.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
It's not being that guy, it's just the truth. We don't score or move the ball very well at all right now. Kentucky gave up more points every team except Missouri this year. We had something like 28 total yards of offense in the last 18 minutes of the game Saturday. The defense won that game.

How many points did our defense score against UK?

Hare are some stats:

I give Guarantano credit for making some clutch plays, but a look inside the numbers shows that the offense really hasn’t improved that much. The defense is carrying the team.[/1573510989493.gif

Nope, just pointing out that the turnaround hasn’t been some great renaissance by JG.
Solid QB play has certainly played a role in the turnaround, as has Sr leadership, improved OL play, solid D line play, huge improvement in the back 7 of our defense and overall team intensity in how hard they play. JG has been above average in all 5 of our victories and 2 of our losses. Maybe he is the key, if he plays good we win and if he doesn't we lose.

Reactions: volcs

VN Store

Back