LVs fun to watch for the first time in a long time!

LAVol1

KJH has turned the program around. The team looked coached for the first time since Pat. Mistakes? Yeah, there were a lot. But, they played hard. Excellent D. They dominated the boards (Pat's #1 game priority) and took a big game on the road at ND. Very impressed with the length and athleticism of the team. The future looks very bright for the first time in a long time. They are going to be fun to watch.

Agree, first time I have gotten to see them this yr and I did enjoy it. But this season may be different. You get the feeling the mistakes are not season long ones like there were under Holly. Kelly and staff will fix them. I had stopped watching LV's the last 2 seasons, pickup teams at the Y had better basic skills than LV's. They were just unwatchable.

When players get in a role and know what they can do and can't do then you have a team. We have a few players that still need their roles defined for this team going forward. Massengill found hers Monday night as did Key, Davis, and Horston. We still need other players to determine how they can best help this team where they are most likely to score and continue to learn how to defend. As Horston and Key get experience then you have three viable sources that could score over 20 in any given game. A team with three go to players is very hard to defend.

When players get in a role and know what they can do and can't do then you have a team. We have a few players that still need their roles defined for this team going forward. Massengill found hers Monday night as did Key, Davis, and Horston. We still need other players to determine how they can best help this team where they are most likely to score and continue to learn how to defend. As Horston and Key get experience then you have three viable sources that could score over 20 in any given game. A team with three go to players is very hard to defend.
" We still need other players to determine how they can best help this team where they are most likely to score and continue to learn how to defend". Rae Burrell is no. 1 in this category. Did anyone notice that Jasmine M. was 5 points and 1 assist from a triple double?

Last edited:
KJH has turned the program around. The team looked coached for the first time since Pat. Mistakes? Yeah, there were a lot. But, they played hard. Excellent D. They dominated the boards (Pat's #1 game priority) and took a big game on the road at ND. Very impressed with the length and athleticism of the team. The future looks very bright for the first time in a long time. They are going to be fun to watch.
Rocky Top is rocking & rolling again & I feel good! 😊

I'm thinking that Kasi & Kamara have found their roles.
Consistency should be their friend, tho. We shall see.

I agree both Kamera and KK have definitely come a long way with regards to their play. Mainly Kamera, she literally looks like she belongs on the court for 15 minutes a game. I don't like to bring up the previous coach in a negative manner but, it was obvious there were many underdeveloped players during that tenure. I am sooo excited for her. KK will continue to get better, but she has potential to be really good, not just tall and slower, that I feel we'll see reached by SEC play. Tamari the same, I feel by SEC play she will be a nightmare.

Davis is amazing. The way she's used reminds me of how Glitzen(sp?) was used last year by Koach Kellie. Move the ball, get her open so she can make a play or open shot. Burrell is Davis-lite. This is the role she should play when she comes in if Davis isn't on the floor however she needs to slow down just a little and not rush the game. If she can settle down a bit, I see her being extremely successful. When Davis is in, just defend and score when open.

Horston at the point works. She has an eye for the game that amazes me. This team could be special and a lot of that lays on how the freshmen(Horston and Key) develop this year. Both are coming on strong and I see them both being absolute monsters by SEC play.

Massengill's defense was SUPERB! If she can continue to defend, rebound, and pass the ball the way she did this last game, we can afford to allow her offensive game to grow. I think she has the potential to give us at least 8 a game without giving up her assist game.

Brown is glue. She's a starter imo and it's not that she scores in bunches or is the best defender, but she's smart and raises the team's maturity level when she's on the court. She just does the RIGHT things while she's out there.

I wish Green hadn't gone down because she's a special player. I wish E hadn't left and had truly given Koach a chance but all of that is under the bridge now. We have a new Lady Vol team and they are making noise.

Looking forward to seeing Jessie, Jaiden, and Emily come into their own this season.

I'm ready for the season. I agree that although there were a lot of errors, they are fixable. You can tell that some of the errors are just lapses in judgement, not remaining focused. I do not think we will have to worry about so many turnovers after about 10 games. 10 games in and let's check to see how we've improved there.

" We still need other players to determine how they can best help this team where they are most likely to score and continue to learn how to defend". Rae Burrell is no. 1 in this category. Did anyone notice that Jasmine M. was 5 points and 1 assist from a triple double?
You mean she only scored 5 points?

HALLELUJAH - The Lady Vols long dark years in the wilderness are over. The mistake that almost ruined the legacy of Pat Summitt is gone. We can breathe again.
Bring us back KJH - We are with you and so ready for this change. With one W over Notre Dame you give us hope.

When Holly took over the result was inevitable. Holly was and will always be an assistant - LV4Life and all that but it always seemed clear she did not have a head coach head or heart. It was excruciating for Lady Vol lovers - unwatchable - painful - heartbreaking and even the post-game pressers were worthy of ridicule. Even worse was the feeling there was nothing that could be done to precipitate a change.

It took the miserable destruction of last season with 10 losses in 15 games including the loss at home to 2 W 12 L Vanderbilt that was a final straw to end the misery. A record-setting year of misery with so many FIRST TIME THAT HAPPENED loss records.

Holly went 30 -6 in 2014-15 then fell to 22-14 and 20-12 then 25-8 and finally 19 - 13 - some of which did not seem too bad until you realize how the quality of opponents declined. Pat's teams always had the strongest schedule strength -
Holly's teams played Presbyterian, UNCA, Florida A&M, Clemson, UAB, OK State, Stetson, ETSU, Belmont, and Murray State with the 2 Dec games with Texas & Stanford Pat's played 17 games vs the top 20 -UNC, UCONN, Duke, Rutgers, Maryland, Baylor, Notre Dame etc with no games vs teams in the bottom 100 like those played by Holly's teams. The W & L record was far worse when taking into consideration the level of competition and it was not fun to watch.

Remember the wonder of Pat Summitt and the way we were. UCONN EXPOSED IN 6 CHAPTERS LINK

I agree both Kamera and KK have definitely come a long way with regards to their play. Mainly Kamera, she literally looks like she belongs on the court for 15 minutes a game. I don't like to bring up the previous coach in a negative manner but, it was obvious there were many underdeveloped players during that tenure. I am sooo excited for her. KK will continue to get better, but she has potential to be really good, not just tall and slower, that I feel we'll see reached by SEC play. Tamari the same, I feel by SEC play she will be a nightmare.

Davis is amazing. The way she's used reminds me of how Glitzen(sp?) was used last year by Koach Kellie. Move the ball, get her open so she can make a play or open shot. Burrell is Davis-lite. This is the role she should play when she comes in if Davis isn't on the floor however she needs to slow down just a little and not rush the game. If she can settle down a bit, I see her being extremely successful. When Davis is in, just defend and score when open.

Horston at the point works. She has an eye for the game that amazes me. This team could be special and a lot of that lays on how the freshmen(Horston and Key) develop this year. Both are coming on strong and I see them both being absolute monsters by SEC play.

Massengill's defense was SUPERB! If she can continue to defend, rebound, and pass the ball the way she did this last game, we can afford to allow her offensive game to grow. I think she has the potential to give us at least 8 a game without giving up her assist game.

Brown is glue. She's a starter imo and it's not that she scores in bunches or is the best defender, but she's smart and raises the team's maturity level when she's on the court. She just does the RIGHT things while she's out there.

I wish Green hadn't gone down because she's a special player. I wish E hadn't left and had truly given Koach a chance but all of that is under the bridge now. We have a new Lady Vol team and they are making noise.

Looking forward to seeing Jessie, Jaiden, and Emily come into their own this season.

I'm ready for the season. I agree that although there were a lot of errors, they are fixable. You can tell that some of the errors are just lapses in judgement, not remaining focused. I do not think we will have to worry about so many turnovers after about 10 games. 10 games in and let's check to see how we've improved there.

Really nice post, I agree with you that we should know what’s up by about game 10. There will be setbacks this season I’m sure, but I was so happy to see these players triumph in South Bend. I haven’t seen Rennia smile as much as she has the last two weeks. Ever.

FWIW the mental lapses seemed to be on the offensive end in TOs, very few defensive lapses. A season ago we had way more lapses on defense that cost us a ton of games. Nothing came easy for ND.

I think you are spot in. Losing Zaay puts more pressure on everyone. Davis has to play at a consistently high level. Horston and Key will need to become "players" right now. The LVs will definitely need Rae to step offensively. I am sure she will.

What would have a been a deep and very dangerous team with Westbrook, Collins, and Green is now dangerously thin.

For this squad, Kellie's emphasis on defense and rebounding will be very appropriate and crucial to a successful season.

For anyone who questioned Coach Harper's coaching acumen, this season will really show what she has got.

Dang, a post inferring how bad LV BB had gotten under Holly and not a single Holly defender posting? They must have awakened and smelled the coffee.

Reactions: FabSmokyVol
Dang, a post inferring how bad LV BB had gotten under Holly and not a single Holly defender posting? They must have awakened and smelled the coffee.
You can count me as. Holly defender...... she deserved to be fired but she is a Lady Vol legend that hangs in the rafters..... We need to cheer on Kellie and the job she is doing without constantly tearing down someone who gave so much of her life to the Lady Vol family.

HALLELUJAH - The Lady Vols long dark years in the wilderness are over. The mistake that almost ruined the legacy of Pat Summitt is gone. We can breathe again.
Bring us back KJH - We are with you and so ready for this change. With one W over Notre Dame you give us hope.

When Holly took over the result was inevitable. Holly was and will always be an assistant - LV4Life and all that but it always seemed clear she did not have a head coach head or heart. It was excruciating for Lady Vol lovers - unwatchable - painful - heartbreaking and even the post-game pressers were worthy of ridicule. Even worse was the feeling there was nothing that could be done to precipitate a change.

It took the miserable destruction of last season with 10 losses in 15 games including the loss at home to 2 W 12 L Vanderbilt that was a final straw to end the misery. A record-setting year of misery with so many FIRST TIME THAT HAPPENED loss records.

Holly went 30 -6 in 2014-15 then fell to 22-14 and 20-12 then 25-8 and finally 19 - 13 - some of which did not seem too bad until you realize how the quality of opponents declined. Pat's teams always had the strongest schedule strength -
Holly's teams played Presbyterian, UNCA, Florida A&M, Clemson, UAB, OK State, Stetson, ETSU, Belmont, and Murray State with the 2 Dec games with Texas & Stanford Pat's played 17 games vs the top 20 -UNC, UCONN, Duke, Rutgers, Maryland, Baylor, Notre Dame etc with no games vs teams in the bottom 100 like those played by Holly's teams. The W & L record was far worse when taking into consideration the level of competition and it was not fun to watch.

Remember the wonder of Pat Summitt and the way we were. UCONN EXPOSED IN 6 CHAPTERS LINK

Thank you for the link, very informative. This is an excerpt from chapter 7.

The comparative analysis of the Strength of Schedule and the verifiable record leaves no doubt that the Tennessee record was built on playing ranked opponents approximately 50% of the time while the Connecticut record is built on playing ranked opponents less than 20% of the time. This writer and observer believes that to be incredibly significant in comparing the two programs.

A potential recruit attempting to make a life changing decision concerning her four years at one of these fine Universities and excellent Women's College Basketball programs should know that there are major differences between the two programs.

Part of that is due to the measurable superiority of the Southeastern Conference in fielding teams that are highly ranked year in and year out. But even larger is the out of conference schedule that takes the Tennessee Women to most of the strongest programs in Women's College Basketball across the country.

The above was written in 2007. According to the current AP rankings, UT will play 5 of the top 10 listed, and ND is now 15, so you could add that game as well. I do not know UConn’s schedule, but TN’s is definitely tough. The best recruits should want to play with and against the best. GO LADY VOLS!!!

Last edited:
Thank you for the link, very informative. This is an excerpt from chapter 7.

The comparative analysis of the Strength of Schedule and the verifiable record leaves no doubt that the Tennessee record was built on playing ranked opponents approximately 50% of the time while the Connecticut record is built on playing ranked opponents less than 20% of the time. This writer and observer believes that to be incredibly significant in comparing the two programs.

A potential recruit attempting to make a life changing decision concerning her four years at one of these fine Universities and excellent Women's College Basketball programs should know that there are major differences between the two programs.

Part of that is due to the measurable superiority of the Southeastern Conference in fielding teams that are highly ranked year in and year out. But even larger is the out of conference schedule that takes the Tennessee Women to most of the strongest programs in Women's College Basketball across the country.

The above was written in 2007. According to the current AP rankings, UT will play 5 of the top 10 listed, and ND is now 15, so you could add that game as well. I do not know UConn’s schedule, but TN’s is definitely tough. The best recruits should want to play with and against the best. GO LADY VOLS!!!

Thanks - I spent quite a while working on those 7 chapters at the height of the UCan't -UT rivalry.
It was a time when there was an argument over which program was superior and I tried to settle that argument in the Lady Vols favor.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
It wont take long for attendance at LadyVols games in Thompson-Boling Arena to go back to what it used to be because the LadyVols under Coach Harper will become quickly popular:cool:

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
You can count me as. Holly defender...... she deserved to be fired but she is a Lady Vol legend that hangs in the rafters..... We need to cheer on Kellie and the job she is doing without constantly tearing down someone who gave so much of her life to the Lady Vol family.
Holly willingly tore the program down.

VN Store

Back