Game Thread: #23/RV LADY VOLS VS. STETSON

Coach Jumper

I can be there tomorrow
jordan 003.jpg

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- The Lady Vols (4-0), who made their 2019 debut at No. 23 (tied with Gonzaga) in the AP poll on Monday and are receiving votes in the USA Today Coaches Poll, welcome Stetson (2-2) to Thompson-Boling Arena on Tuesday night for a 7 p.m. ET match-up.

This marks the 500th Lady Vol game played at T-BA since the venue came online during the 1987-88 season. UT has a 454-45 (.910) record there. Tennessee is playing its second of six straight games on Rocky Top after opening with two of the season's first three games on the road. After facing Stetson, the Lady Vols welcome Arkansas-Pine Bluff (Nov. 26), Air Force (Dec. 1), Texas (Dec. 8) and Colorado State (Dec. 11) to The Summitt. The UAPB and Air Force games are part of UT's Salute to Service Week, while the Texas match-up is part of the Big 12/SEC Challenge.

Tennessee enters on the heels of a 73-43 home triumph over in-state foe Tennessee State last Thursday evening. The Hatters, meanwhile, come off a three-game swing through the Bluegrass State before heading south to Tennessee.

Stetson opened the trip in Lexington, falling to No. 13 Kentucky, 67-48, last Wednesday. SU played in the Morehead State Eagle Invitational over the weekend, defeating Morehead State, 58-55, on Friday and falling to St. Francis (Pa.), 78-73, on Saturday.

VolNation:

It's time!
It's time to start beating teams with a little less mercy

If I was scouting our team, I'd see,,,

The good
  • The girls are starting to flow in movement and ball-movement on offense, not just in set plays, but in FB's and non-set plays. Much less stagnation.
  • Individual players are starting to make a name for themselves, while playing team ball
  • KK showed back up this last game. Harris is still surprisingly better.
The bad
  • "Mesh time" ,, Players don't get to play some longer spans together...some of their turnovers are from miscommunications in the passing sequence. (The passer is expecting their target to cut to the hoop and the target player starts moving lateral). This communication will solve itself with minutes together to learn tendencies and idiosyncrasies,,,(Maybe "sub by combinations" in the latter half of a runaway game instead of en masse).
  • Predictability: The second group off the bench is more one-dimensional,,, it will be will be Rae and 4 more. Teams will start seeing this and go at Rae because she is the obvious 6th man being groomed. Got to mix it up on both the grouping and the subbing-predictability for both time and personnel
  • Not seen a press yet
  • This group is still looking for a marksman shooter in this group. Ren and Jordan can go off, but I am talking about a 3-4 trey maker each game.

Alright Lady Vols,
Times to take the hat off of the Hatters

Lady Vols 92 - Stetson 41

Nice job. Thanks.
I get really excited when I think about the fact that we haven’t even seen a press yet. Obviously there’s no guarantee that Tennessee will be good at pressing, especially now that Zaay is out — but what if they ARE? Can’t wait to see how it’ll look from first time it’s deployed to the last time this season.

last year LV won 65-55 and Davis got 24. Post conference remarks stated that Stetson then 1-7 was a good basketball team. comments from the board followed. team did not play well. smile.

Yeah.....I remember that game last year......we were all scratching our heads wondering what was wrong & why we had trouble putting Stetson away....we let them hang around for a close game..

Love how Kellie has got this team getting better. Not sure what the score will be because Kellie will play all 11 players. Kellie only wants to win and watch them improve. She could play her top 6 players and win by 50. Glad we are back in the top 25 and believe we will stay there. As always go Lady Vols.

We are past the letdown game after the high of beating ND, and Kellie addressed the team’s consistency in practices since that game. She also knows how last year’s game was played. I’m hoping Emily gets more game time, and expecting much better consistency and execution from the team for this next game. GLV!!!

I really like this.

Kellie:

"I think the biggest thing is that you've got to continue to push your team. We want to be good because we out-executed our opponent. We want to be good because we were better than them, not because we're bigger, faster, stronger. We want to do things the right way. That's where we can build more consistency as a team.

I really like this.

Kellie:

"I think the biggest thing is that you've got to continue to push your team. We want to be good because we out-executed our opponent. We want to be good because we were better than them, not because we're bigger, faster, stronger. We want to do things the right way. That's where we can build more consistency as a team.

very well put

Roger that....and well noted. But that coach from last year learned all she learned from being under Pat.
We expected better things from her because of that BB knowledge. Things seem to not workout like we want.
Well she was a good assistant but sometimes
People stepping into the top spot doesn't work
as well. Her record the first 3 years was good
because she still had Pat's girls but things went South after that.

24 point favorite in this game Kentucky beat them by 19 so for Tennessee it is time to come out and play a great game. We need to try to play under control while at the same time working to run and make quick baskets by beating their defense down court. What some players have to learn is when to attack and when to pull it back.

Our early OOC schedule is very weak! Was this a schedule made by Holly?

24 point favorite in this game Kentucky beat them by 19 so for Tennessee it is time to come out and play a great game. We need to try to play under control while at the same time working to run and make quick baskets by beating their defense down court. What some players have to learn is when to attack and when to pull it back.

I would really like to see no more than 15 turnovers tonight. Time for Kellie to start coaching this carelessness out of the team against an opponent that should be overmatched...

VN Store

Back