Question for UT History Buffs?

MAD

Arsenal FC, Detroit Lions
It’s unheard of for SEC teams to play each other in a bowl game unless it happens in the Final Four of the Bowl Championship Series.
So how did Tennessee end up playing Florida in the Gator Bowl in 1969 and LSU in the Bluebonnet Bowl in 1972?

It’s unheard of for SEC teams to play each other in a bowl game unless it happens in the Final Four of the Bowl Championship Series.
So how did Tennessee end up playing Florida in the Gator Bowl in 1969 and LSU in the Bluebonnet Bowl in 1972?
Because of infrequently schedule regular season games. From 1932 until like 1990 they played maybe 12 times. UT won the sec in 1969 but Sugar Bowl picked Archie and Ole Miss over UT.

Unsure about 1972 but i assume same type reason

Reactions: MAD

I'm no history buff but IMO there were far fewer bowl games back then and teams generally had to win 8 or more games to even be considered which resulted in the best teams being matched up regardless of conference affiliations.

Because of infrequently schedule regular season games. From 1932 until like 1990 they played maybe 12 times. UT won the sec in 1969 but Sugar Bowl picked Archie and Ole Miss over UT.

Back when the SEC was only 10 teams UT played 6 conf. games: Auburn, Bama, Ole Miss, UK, Vandy and rotated UF, UGA, Miss. St. & LSU.

Back then UT played Bama, Auburn, Ole Miss, UK and Vandy every year in the SEC and the other SEC schools only twice a decade. So it was likely that schools wouldn’t play each other in a 6-8 year period and could be matched up in Bowl games

Doug dickey had just become coach of the Florida making it a more interesting game.
UT lost by a point.
Dickey was being eyed before the game was played by Florida. Tim Priest has spoken on the subject and said that Dickey was careful to talk around and adroitly avoid the subject of him leaving for Florida. Dickey announced his decision to leave after the game ended.

Tennessee jumped out to a 24-3 lead in the first half and then held on for a 24-17 win.

Thanks. It's all coming back now! And in the teams hotel after the game, on the elevator, I swapped a baggie of smokes for a bottle of bourbon with a huge offensive lineman. For all I know, it could have been Phil Fulmer!

Doug dickey had just become coach of the Florida making it a more interesting game.
UT lost by a point.

Dickey wasnt named Florida coach until after the game. Woodruff should have never let him coach unless he had a commitment that he was staying. Ironically we hadnt played in about 20 years and of all things Florida came to Knoxville the very next season.

Ber
I was a wide eyed visitor to the Astrodome for the Bluebonnet Bowl in 1972. Great game. We had Holloway and LSU was loaded as well. Bert Jones was a backup QB for LSU... I think we kicked their ass! It's fuzzy![/

Bert Jones was back-up QB for LSU? Well who in the hell was the starter? Never seen anybody throw a football like he could.

Well in the olden days there weren't nearly as many bowls as there are today, so teams from the same conference would get matched up in a bowl. There also weren't the bowl affiliation that we have now except for the Rose Bowl with the Big 10 and the Pac 10.

Dickey wasnt named Florida coach until after the game. Woodruff should have never let him coach unless he had a commitment that he was staying. Ironically we hadnt played in about 20 years and of all things Florida came to Knoxville the very next season.
Yep we drilled Fla the following season. Woodruff or whoever makes the decision should have made Dickey an offer$ he couldn’t refuse.

Woodruff was too interested.in his "old NO.7" and not letting anyone on a IT team to have a mustache(Bill Skinner,as navy #2 in the world in the javelin).

The Big 10 only sent a team to the Rose Bowl in those days. Everybody else's season ended when the regular season did.

The Big 10 only sent a team to the Rose Bowl in those days. Everybody else's season ended when the regular season did.
I’m old enough to remember when the gator bowl was a very good bowl to be invited to. Just below the four major bowls. Heck I think there were only 5 bowls for the big time programs to play in. Later came the bluebonnet, then liberty bowl. Going to a bowl was a big deal. Not so much anymore.

VN Store

Back