QB transfer opportunities

bag12day

Anyone else see the irony in the following:
3 of 4 playoff teams have qbs that transferred in last year or in LSU’s case two years ago. They did not develop their freshmen qbs into starters.
All 3 teams benefitted from having a “seasoned transfer “ stepping in to the 1 job. I guess you could make a case against fields since he didn’t get a tremendous amount of work last year.
The teams they transferred from in most cases could have benefitted from them being there for sure and might have some serious staff reaccessment since the guy that left looked better better than the guy they kept or in hurts case was at least healthier.
I have been a proponent of the transfer “portal” because it at least puts a little control back in the players hands. I am excited about about bailey next year but I’m wondering if we aren’t seeing a bit of dynamic shift in the way teams approach developing a qb. This year may be an outlier but I really believe we will see more teams taking a chance on developing that 3rd year transfer after seeing him on tape against ncaa competition over trying to develop a freshman wonder like Tua and hoping he’s good enough to beat out his mediocre upperclassman teammates.

Reactions: Volanta and MAD
3 of 4 playoff teams have qbs that transferred in last year or in LSU’s case two years ago. They did not develop their freshmen qbs into starters.
All 3 teams benefitted from having a “seasoned transfer “ stepping in to the 1 job. I guess you could make a case against fields since he didn’t get a tremendous amount of work last year.
The teams they transferred from in most cases could have benefitted from them being there for sure and might have some serious staff reaccessment since the guy that left looked better better than the guy they kept or in hurts case was at least healthier.
I have been a proponent of the transfer “portal” because it at least puts a little control back in the players hands. I am excited about about bailey next year but I’m wondering if we aren’t seeing a bit of dynamic shift in the way teams approach developing a qb. This year may be an outlier but I really believe we will see more teams taking a chance on developing that 3rd year transfer after seeing him on tape against ncaa competition over trying to develop a freshman wonder like Tua and hoping he’s good enough to beat out his mediocre upperclassman teammates.
So, these seasoned. ready to step in QBs come from where, thin air? Is it magic?

Reactions: Carl Pickens
So, these seasoned. ready to step in QBs come from where, thin air? Is it magic?

giphy.gif

😂

TP makesit hard to keep very good backups from being starters somewhere else. But with the stiffened rule on immediate play, most players will need to be grad transfers or be prepared to sit a season (some exceptions like hardship and team on probation).

When the unlimited "Likeness" money starts pouring in, the portal is going to become a busy exchange!

Something about Jalen Hurts being in the playoffs while Nick Saban isn't, makes me smile. I dislike Oklahoma, but I hate Alabama.
Exactly the same feeling and I will add I can't stand Ohio State or how Fields got his waiver approved but the epic Fromm fail from that potent offense made me smile to see the butthurt from GA about letting Fields go. Then there was the same "Hes not good enough for us ( the same thing we saw with Chaney leaving) and we are better without him".

Well, the intro hooked me ....hoping to see a few names tossed out there but nope...not one... Kinda like the beat to death coaching rumors thread. Doesn't matter cause were getting JG back next year.

Something about Jalen Hurts being in the playoffs while Nick Saban isn't, makes me smile. I dislike Oklahoma, but I hate Alabama.
I was going to pull for Jalen, right up to the point where he smoked the cigar, now I can't pull for Oklahoma, or him.

Well, the intro hooked me ....hoping to see a few names tossed out there but nope...not one... Kinda like the beat to death coaching rumors thread. Doesn't matter cause were getting JG back next year.
Well sorry about the intro I couldn't really think of a better way to state the question. It just occurred to me that when 75% of the national championship playoff teams are doing it with transfer QBs that 1) It is an amazing coincidence 2) It could be a shift that coaches looking for talent that is older might be easier/ more effective than bringing in a freshman to develop from a yet unproven skillset in DIV1. and 3) I wonder if CJP and staff might have missed the mark.
Before I get roasted for 3, I know we tried the transfer QB route with Chryst that never saw the light of day and that it certainly would have been difficult to convince players the caliber of those three to come here for the obvious reasons. They left for exposure, starting, and championship quality teams but also left similar quality teams.

The elephant in the room for me is was the coaching staff so fixed on keeping JG in the starting role that they missed the boat of making the team better by finding a transfer QB that increased our QB skills. I DO NOT intend that to be JG bashing as the guy is VFL IMO for what he has endured and has given his all for Tennessee but to build a championship caliber team those 3 teams were willing to break a few eggs (existing QBs on their team). @HuntlandVolinColo made an excellent point that may answer the question with regards having to sit if you transfer unless TRUE hardship or Grad Xfer and something I had not considered going forward. I guess as with so many NCAA rules it depends on how/if they actually do what they say.

I haven't looked in detail at the style of offense they left and what they had to learn but all three certainly seemed to have a fairly seamless transition. @Pride85 not sure what you intended by your question. They clearly don't come from thin air but obviously three coaches saw something in a backup QB that could get their team to the top 4 in the country and made their teams better as a result. As I said before I am excited about Bailey coming but wonder if things would be different going forward based on what 3 teams did with transfers this year.
I guess my real intention after thinking about the 75% was to ask my VOLNATION friends if yall see this a trend going forward or a 1 off situation this year.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
Joe Burrow is the only one nobody expected to boom this year. Fields was a well known stud(UGA should regret choosing Fromm over him) and Hurts is a proven winner. I think most people had OSU and OK in the playoff before the season started. I don’t think anyone had LSU in there before the season.

Joe Burrow is the only one nobody expected to boom this year. Fields was a well known stud(UGA should regret choosing Fromm over him) and Hurts is a proven winner. I think most people had OSU and OK in the playoff before the season started. I don’t think anyone had LSU in there before the season.
Part of burrows success is joe Brady and the re vamp of the spread at LSU and there were actually quite few that thought they were going to markedly better in 2019 among them me:cool:. I do think they will be the national champs and as a direct result of burrow getting “over recruited” at OSU. Ironic no?

VN Store

Back