Jeremy Pruitt talks with reporters after Vols’ first practice for the TaxSlayer Gator Bowl.

Sara Clark

Volume is horrible, you'll have to turn it up.

We’ll spend the first 5 days just focusing on us. Get back to basics, we won’t start working on our opponent until the 6th practice.

Jeremy Pruitt confirms that Brandon Kennedy had a procedure done. He won’t practice for the next probably 10 days. If he’s ready to play he will, if not he won’t.

We’re very blessed to have everybody in our recruiting department.
-T. Wallace-

Not that this was ever likely, but just to confirm, Jeremy Pruitt said all of the #Vols plan on playing in a bowl game. No seniors skipping it to start early draft prep or anything like that.
-Rucker-

Last edited:
It’s harder for me to pull for a player that skips the bowl game. If I were drafting players it would be counted as a negative because it shows they are putting themselves above the team. Although I realize there is life changing money on the line, I personally couldn’t bail on them.

It’s harder for me to pull for a player that skips the bowl game. If I were drafting players it would be counted as a negative because it shows they are putting themselves above the team. Although I realize there is life changing money on the line, I personally couldn’t bail on them.
so silly millions of dollars > a meaningless bowl game. The seniors are going to play because it can help their draft stock. If you are a blue chip 1st or 2nd rounder you can and probably should skip it unless its a playoff game.

I can see it if there’s a playoff involved, having an issue with this, but I don’t really have a big problem with it for regular bowl games. I’d definitely give a pass to Trey Smith if he decided wanted to enter the draft, and forego his senior season... I’d have zero problem with him skipping the bowl, with all he’s been through. We don’t really have any other hi-potential draft guys, so bowl games are more of an audition, and therefore wouldn’t anticipate anyone opting out...in my opinion.

Trying to remember the player last year (I think) who was a high draft pick but played in his teams bowl game. His comment was when ask if he was sitting out to protect his "investment". "Oh heck no. I'm just not wired that way and I really don't understand a true competitor feeling any other way"...anyone remember who that was? Seems it was a running back.

so silly millions of dollars > a meaningless bowl game. The seniors are going to play because it can help their draft stock. If you are a blue chip 1st or 2nd rounder you can and probably should skip it unless its a playoff game.

Play for the team not for yourself. They teach that from day 1 in peewee

I can see it if there’s a playoff involved, having an issue with this, but I don’t really have a big problem with it for regular bowl games. I’d definitely give a pass to Trey Smith if he decided wanted to enter the draft, and forego his senior season... I’d have zero problem with him skipping the bowl, with all he’s been through. We don’t really have any other hi-potential draft guys, so bowl games are more of an audition, and therefore wouldn’t anticipate anyone opting out...in my opinion.

Trey is perfect example.

Non playoff bowls are more or less exhibition games. It’s easy to be sitting in the stands and say a college kid should risk millions by playing in a game for bragging rights.

All this skipping lesser bowl games by players that aren't hurt is a great reason to quit with the excessive bowl games. I can understand if your significantly injured to not play in any bowl game. But to just skip it especially a meaningful bowl game is more than likely a reflection of that persons willingness to play and give maximum effort when they are banged and bruised in the nfl. I guarantee some teams will look at that real close and they should. Many players still jump at the chance to play in the senior bowl and the like so I think this is more of a lower tier bowl thing with most of these players. If you have a good matchup in a good quality game and are healthy and don't play it doesn't say much for you as a teammate. GBO!

Every player that intends to go pro after the season should be able to get some sort of insurance policy to help them out. The NCAA should form some sort of group insurance where an athlete that declares prior to the bowl game is eligible for coverage.

Volume is horrible, you'll have to turn it up.

We’ll spend the first 5 days just focusing on us. Get back to basics, we won’t start working on our opponent until the 6th practice.

Jeremy Pruitt confirms that Brandon Kennedy had a procedure done. He won’t practice for the next probably 10 days. If he’s ready to play he will, if not he won’t.

We’re very blessed to have everybody in our recruiting department.
-T. Wallace-

Not that this was ever likely, but just to confirm, Jeremy Pruitt said all of the #Vols plan on playing in a bowl game. No seniors skipping it to start early draft prep or anything like that.
-Rucker-

These guys audio is always junk. Also notice they never clean up/ edit their videos. No pride in their work

These guys audio is always junk. Also notice they never clean up/ edit their videos. No pride in their work
Yes, I saw it pop up "live," quickly posted it for everyone to see. Once I started to listen, I found myself wishing I hadn't bothered. Had to turn the volume up all the way and still had to strain to hear anything. I would like to see someone put more effort into making a worthy product.

If this skip a bowl trend continues why not add the last regular season game if your team can’t win a conference title and can’t make a good bowl?

Why not the last couple regular season games if that’s the case?

To me it’s dumb.
Some have already. It's a business decision.

Before when there weren't so many bowls, this wouldn't be as big an issue. Now a 6-6 team can play in a bowl, which is not a high requirement. I say if a senior on a team that barely made a bowl wants to stay safe and not risk a his financial future and fulfill a dream to play in the NFL, so be it. And even if that senior is on a championship team, even if that team is Tennessee, that is his choice.

I get that he should think of his team but I would not and should not expect him to sacrifice taking care of himself and his family for his teammate. He's sacrificed plenty to get to this point so if he wants to ensure a payoff by not playing another collegiate game, again that's his decision and I would respect it. JMO of course and flame away if you want.

Reactions: vettefool
Play for the team not for yourself. They teach that from day 1 in peewee
Easy for you to say sitting on your couch. Terrible injuries happen in football. Not just career ending but life altering. if you're sitting there guaranteed 1st round pick you're risking potentially hundreds of millions of dollars to play in a meaningless game.

Reactions: VFL1953
The Tenn. Vandy game was meaningless too; are they gonna skip it. What the hell just skip the whole season.

They can shut it down at ANY time they feel like it. I’m fine with that.

I would prefer any VFL to play and ensure as many wins they can using up all their, “What’s the word?”, that they have, then shut it down ANY time they want to.
Players on other teams, I’m indifferent. So technically, I’m fine with it.

I was bitter towards Shuler for leaving early. Until he hurt his ankle, that changed my mind.

I will never be bitter towards a VFL over wins and losses. We would have been a better team in 94 with Shuler on the team.
Heath and Bengie played well together.

I do enjoy watching the Vols win games. I even like watching games that they have lost. They got ahold of me a long time ago and I enjoy it too much.

I’m so looking forward to Jan 2nd.

I would consider a teammate a quitter even with money on the line. The only reason I would excuse someone is if they were having injury issues which could be aggravated more if they played. Just my opinion, I’m sure others disagree.

If this skip a bowl trend continues why not add the last regular season game if your team can’t win a conference title and can’t make a good bowl?

Why not the last couple regular season games if that’s the case?

To me it’s dumb.

agree....I'm kind of thinking that if the players take that mindset towards the bowl games, then maybe the fans should also take that approach to the bowl games....yeah I think I'll skip it this year as well...

Easy for you to say sitting on your couch. Terrible injuries happen in football. Not just career ending but life altering. if you're sitting there guaranteed 1st round pick you're risking potentially hundreds of millions of dollars to play in a meaningless game.
I do not consider that a valid excuse. They should just quit before the season and train for the draft until they are eligible. If a player is worried about injuries then he should not commit to a football team. Injuries can happen on any given play during the season.

Terrible injuries happen anytime. I’m just saying football is a brotherhood. You fight all season long with the men out there on the field with you. To bail on them just because it’s the last game of the year is selfish.

VN Store

Back