Who else here is old enough

Capt Straight

Give Him 6!
To remember listening to George Mooney and Bob Fox announcing Tennessee Football in the days prior to John Ward? My father was a UT grad, so I can remember as a little kid sitting beside a giant radio listening to Johnny Majors playing in the single wing formation. Any other old farts on this board? LOL

Last edited:
My first memory is late '60's, playing in the yard, and listening to John Ward. Doug Dickey was the head coach. Some people weren't real happy when he went to Florida.

The next coach (Bill Battle) was a good guy, but Butch Jones bad, at recruiting and/or development.

I believe Clemson won the National Championship that year.
They did indeed. Clemson went 12-0 and was named national champion as the nation's only unbeaten team.

It was also a year where UT bounced back from a horrendous start (losing 44-0 to UGA, 43-7 to USC and barely beating a 1-10 Georgia Tech team and a 1-AA Wichita State team), started playing better and was actually respectable against Bama, and ended the year with eight wins after beating a Big Ten team in a bowl.

I still have my father's game tickets and UT annual from the team that went unbeaten and unscored on until it went to Rose Bowl and lost to USC.

Good stuff. Can you post pictures of those items? I started following the Vols in 64 so I remember George Mooney although I didn't know his name at the time. Ward was only doing the basketball games before he added football.

In those days, all of the schools had good radio play by play and color commentators. My older brother and I would listen to LSU, Kentucky, and Georgia games at night. There was also a Knoxville radio station which would carry an SEC football broadcast on Sat. night.

Good stuff. Can you post pictures of those items? I started following the Vols in 64 so I remember George Mooney although I didn't know his name at the time. Ward was only doing the basketball games before he added football.

In those days, all of the schools had good radio play by play and color commentators. My older brother and I would listen to LSU, Kentucky, and Georgia games at night. There was also a Knoxville radio station which would carry an SEC football broadcast on Sat. night.

Pics posted above

Reactions: RollerVol
I don't know, but my father graduated from UT as a ROTC Major and went straight into the Army as Major in charge of 191st Field Artillery under Patton. He was KIA in France when I was 3 months old, so I never knew him.
Sad! I had an uncle killed in France and another killed in the Phillipines. I always felt cheated because I never knew them, but that's nothing compared to you.

VN Store

Back