Long term dominance.....

PhoenixAZVol

Have any college teams been elite (perennial top 5-10) for 20 straight years? We all know that success is cyclical. We were in that category for maybe 12-13 years (89-01). Georgia has been up and down. Maybe they have been solid for 10-12 years max. Bama close to a 15 year run of dominance with Saban but prior to him they were bad for a decade. Florida has had some runs, but had some bad seasons in between. Nebraska couldn’t sustain their top rankings. USC started to decline after 10 years or so. Florida State? Ouch. I guess what I’m getting at is “can we count on the end of a teams life cycle after x number of years? Will Bama be at the top forever and ever or will the law of averages catch up with them just like everyone else? Is 15-20 years kind of the max? Is there hope that the stock of the elites will start declining and our stock will start trending up?

Have any college teams been elite (perennial top 5-10) for 20 straight years? We all know that success is cyclical. We were in that category for maybe 12-13 years (89-01). Georgia has been up and down. Maybe they have been solid for 10-12 years max. Bama close to a 15 year run of dominance with Saban but prior to him they were bad for a decade. Florida has had some runs, but had some bad seasons in between. Nebraska couldn’t sustain their top rankings. USC started to decline after 10 years or so. Florida State? Ouch. I guess what I’m getting at is “can we count on the end of a teams life cycle after x number of years? Will Bama be at the top forever and ever or will the law of averages catch up with them just like everyone else? Is 15-20 years kind of the max? Is there hope that the stock of the elites will start declining and our stock will start trending up?
Yes.

I don't necessarily agree with the cyclical theory. I also, which i know the OP addressed, have to make clear that what we have seen from a few schools throughout history is beyond rare.

GaVol mentioned Tennessee's run from 1989-2007. I'm not going to argue that it wasn't a fantastic run. But, it's nowhere close to what Alabama has pulled off under Saban, what Dabo is in the midst of, what Ohio State has done since Jim Tressel was hired (199-39), etc.

And, yes, that includes Florida's run under Spurrier. It wasn't close to that level. During Spurrier's time at Florida, Florida finished in the top 5, 6 out of his 12 seasons. Forget the top 5, Clemson has played for the national title 4 times in the last 5 years. You just don't do that. Had there been a playoff under Spurrier, Florida would have been included in 1991, 1995, and 1996. I'm not sure they make a playoff in any of the other seasons. Every other year, they had at least 2 losses before bowl season (1994, they had a loss and a tie)

So, don't hold your breath thinking this is some sort of cycle that all the powers that be get to enjoy from time to time because it ain't.

JMO

Oklahoma is good in their conference but not so good in nig games outside. I think there are as many as 5 SEC teams that could have beaten them this year.

I don't necessarily agree with the cyclical theory. I also, which i know the OP addressed, have to make clear that what we have seen from a few schools throughout history is beyond rare.

GaVol mentioned Tennessee's run from 1989-2007. I'm not going to argue that it wasn't a fantastic run. But, it's nowhere close to what Alabama has pulled off under Saban, what Dabo is in the midst of, what Ohio State has done since Jim Tressel was hired (199-39), etc.

And, yes, that includes Florida's run under Spurrier. It wasn't close to that level. During Spurrier's time at Florida, Florida finished in the top 5, 6 out of his 12 seasons. Forget the top 5, Clemson has played for the national title 4 times in the last 5 years. You just don't do that. Had there been a playoff under Spurrier, Florida would have been included in 1991, 1995, and 1996. I'm not sure they make a playoff in any of the other seasons. Every other year, they had at least 2 losses before bowl season (1994, they had a loss and a tie)

So, don't hold your breath thinking this is some sort of cycle that all the powers that be get to enjoy from time to time because it ain't.

JMO
If there had been a playoff UT would’ve made it in 85, 87, 89, 90, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 01, 03. But there was not one. And no one cares about what a Gator fan thinks about UT. Florida was a mediocre program until 1991. Ole miss had more fans than Florida did before the 90s. Then the Jersey transplants and bandwagon rednecks happened to show up. Florida has had Tennessee’s number lately but Tennessee has had more alltime success and Florida will never surpass that

JMO
And also Neyland from 1926-1951 was a run much better than anything Florida has produced and ever will.

If there had been a playoff UT would’ve made it in 85, 87, 89, 90, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 01, 03. But there was not one. And no one cares about what a Gator fan thinks about UT. Florida was a mediocre program until 1991. Ole miss had more fans than Florida did before the 90s. Then the Jersey transplants and bandwagon rednecks happened to show up. Florida has had Tennessee’s number lately but Tennessee has had more alltime success and Florida will never surpass that
GBFO!!!!

Reactions: Rickyvol77

JMO

What do Oklahoma, Clemson and Ohio State have in common? Conferences where there is little resistance to their dominance.

The SEC, on the other hand, produces multiple, regular contenders to the throne. In the last 21 years, five schools have won national titles...and Georgia has played for one and been in the mix regularly...and aTm has the resources to be there. There are seven programs that—with the right coach—can easily be in the national mix (six if you exclude aTm—see Wisky, below).

The Big XII has only two such programs and the Big Ten and ACC have around three (I don’t see Wisky at that level because they have never win the natty...and don’t have aTm money).

That makes Alabama all that more impressive.

FSU jad top 5' from 1987 through 2000... 14 years most I recall

1985- no
1987- no
1989- would have been a mess with 3 sec schools co-champs at 10-1. I have no clue, but certainly possible
1990- no
1995- yes
1996- no
1997- yes
1998- yes
1999- no
2001- no
2003- no

Reactions: 08Vol
Coaches come and go for various reasons and it usually impacts a program greatly. Certainly when there has been a drop off resulting in a HC being fired. Best case scenario is when a HC retires non abruptly and their replacement is known in advance.

Any blips(Good or bad.) in a coach’s success usually can be attached to QB play. Football is QB driven sport.

Nebraska Cornhuskers form 1973-1997
Tom Osborne era.
Never won less the 9 games a year. 13 conference Championships and 3 National Championships. All this before Playoff or BCS Era....

I'd argue that our golden age lasted from 1989 all the way to 2007. Clearly 2005 was a hiccup, but we spent time in the top 10 in just about all of those years (even in 2005).
Didn't we go 5-7 in 2005? If I recall correctly the only time we were in the top five is before the season began and we crapped the bed.

There can be little dispute that BAMA has been an elite, powerhouse for over 20 years-from 1993 to today, 5 NATYS, 13 Top 10 finishes, 17 Top 25 Finishes, 238-85-1. Facts are facts. Florida Gators will also find themselves in the top 10 powerhouse programs for the last 20 years, like it or not, they've had a hell of a program-and they are lucky. IMHO, they seem to have more than their fair share of luck. I only mention FL here, because their SEC members, a team we should be beating every year. When you take your eye off your own conference, bad things happen.

Reactions: 08Vol
Didn't we go 5-7 in 2005? If I recall correctly the only time we were in the top five is before the season began and we crapped the bed.
Went 5-6. That was the year we came back to beat LSU. People forget though that we were still in the top 10 going into the month of October and then lost to UGA, Alabama, SC, ND and Vandy. It was an absolute implosion the last 6 weeks.

And also Neyland from 1926-1951 was a run much better than anything Florida has produced and ever will.
I know a lot of the old guys remember those games, they were before my time, but listening to the old WWII vets, they tell me they were really something. A guy that is 104 years old, was 10 back in '26, still remembers how great it was-this is the type of thing that strikes total fear in school such as FL when they have to play us.

1985- no
1987- no
1989- would have been a mess with 3 sec schools co-champs at 10-1. I have no clue, but certainly possible
1990- no
1995- yes
1996- no
1997- yes
1998- yes
1999- no
2001- no
2003- no
In case you missed it or didn't bother with five minutes of Wiki research, we were ranked #2 in the country going into the SEC championship in 2001 and would have won that game with anything less than the wildly corrupt officiating that took place in it. In 1985 all we did in the Sugar Bowl was blow out a Miami team that was ranked #2 in the country.

@99gator isnt wrong y'all. There are 10-12 places nationally that can currently support a 15 year extended run of success with the right coach. We are one of those schools although towards to bottom of that list. Florida is one of those schools. Florida has demographic advantages that we will never have. A very good coach at UT will not do as good as the exact same coach at UF; however, a very good to great coach will win championships here.

VN Store

Back