LV Turnovers

Spook1

Ancient Vol
The Lady Vols continue with lack of ball security and turnovers. With 7 minutes to play in the 4th quarter, the LV have 22 turnovers, 16 in the first half. Even former Georgia Coach Andy Landers continues to talk about the LV turnovers. Apparently this is of no concern to Coach Harper as nothing seems to improve. It is her job to do some corrections and it is not happening. I have lost track of how many games the LV have had over 20 turnovers...remember there were 2 games with 27. I am so disgusted with the turnover situation that I am done watching the LV play anymore games. This will be the 5th straight loss. If Coach Harper would only install the Coach Rick Barnes method on turnovers, we could see some improvement immediately. If a player of Barnes has a turnover, he is immediately pulled from practice and made to run from the floor to the top of the arena and back...do that 4 or 5 times in practice and turnovers stop. Barnes is even having more turnovers this year compared to last year. Coach Landers has commented on these turnovers virtually every game. It is so bad that the Chattanooga Times even has a article that concentrates on them.

Last edited:
Reactions: RollerVol
The upcoming turnover are so easy to predict....Throw the ball inside and the post player has a high probability of dropping the pass, or missing an easy lay up, sometimes hitting the bottom of the rim, or missing the entire backboard....It is so bad.

Reactions: amorange
The Lady Vols continue with lack of ball security and turnovers. With 7 minutes to play in the 4th quarter, the LV have 22 turnovers, 16 in the first half. Even former Georgia Coach Andy Landers continues to talk about the LV turnovers. Apparently this is of no concern to Coach Harper as nothing seems to improve. It is her job to do some corrections and it is not happening. I have lost track of how many games the LV have had over 20 turnovers...remember there were 2 games with 27. I am so disgusted with the turnover situation that I am done watching the LV play anymore games. This will be the 5th straight loss. If Coach Harper would only install the Coach Rick Barnes method on turnovers, we could see some improvement immediately. If a player of Barnes has a turnover, he is immediately pulled from practice and made to run from the floor to the top of the arena and back...do that 4 or 5 times in practice and turnovers stop. Barnes is even having more turnovers this year compared to last year.
Which Harper recruit committed a turnover???

When you have a problem that doesn't go away no matter who the players are, or who the coach is then it is systemic.

Kellie and Holly are from the same system and high turnovers are a characteristic of the way offense is taught and run in that system. They need totally different drills to emphasize fundamentals, and they need to change the offense.

We should have seen great improvement on this front by this point in the season because it was the low hanging fruit where improvement should have been easiest to obtain. That we have not tells me things aren't being done all that differently than they were before.

For what you pay, is what you get. KJH a fired NCSU coach. If history repeats, you just saw her best year as coach for the LadyVols.
Unfortunately, what you said is true. There is a saying,"If men don't learn from history, they are bound to repeat it". The advisers to AD Fulmer blew a lot of smoke his way and derailed him from seeking and hiring the best head coach available, man or woman (These were his own words, except for the "derailed" part). They talked him into hiring a former Lady Vol who would continue the Pat Summitt method of coaching. What the advisers fail to realize is, Pat Summitt was a once in a lifetime great coach with her own style of coaching that worked for her and no one else.

Last edited:
I don't see much improvement in this team from game to game. Coach Harper needs to get off the bench and coach just like Barnes does and coach Summit did. These are young players that need correcting when they screw up.

Reactions: amorange
When you have a problem that doesn't go away no matter who the players are, or who the coach is then it is systemic.

Kellie and Holly are from the same system and high turnovers are a characteristic of the way offense is taught and run in that system. They need totally different drills to emphasize fundamentals, and they need to change the offense.

We should have seen great improvement on this front by this point in the season because it was the low hanging fruit where improvement should have been easiest to obtain. That we have not tells me things aren't being done all that differently than they were before.

Precisely correct. And she has to not be so proud she can’t admit it. Holly wouldn’t ever admit that “we gotta push the ball” and “get it to the big girl” weren’t working.

Some of the greatest coaches have totally changed their system because what they had been doing no longer worked. Stanford is a great example. Since Tara went away from the triangle offense they ran for years they have been even better.

Which Harper recruit committed a turnover???
If you think she can coach, then maybe you are enjoying this season, and it is only going to get worse for the rest of us. It is a sad situation with the talent we have. The bottom line the talent is going to dwindle because none of the top girls are going to commit to us. Keep patting them on the back and let them figure it out

If you think she can coach, then maybe you are enjoying this season, and it is only going to get worse for the rest of us. It is a sad situation with the talent we have. The bottom line the talent is going to dwindle because none of the top girls are going to commit to us. Keep patting them on the back and let them figure it out
I do think she can coach. But "fans"like you just make her job harder.... please find another team to "cheer" for...

It looks like more running is in store for the Lady Volunteers.

Change the "running on the floor" to running from the floor to the top of the arena...do another turnover and its two trips up and back...do it three times and its 3 trips up and back. If that does not get their attention to ball security bench them. Horston usually has 4 to 6 turnovers and those turnovers usually result in more points than she scores. The point is she is a "negative" player until she stops turnovers.

Reactions: sport3500
I do think she can coach. But "fans"like you just make her job harder.... please find another team to "cheer" for...
Fans like you is the reason we have a second rate coach, accepting average and below play. The other thing the athletic was not willing to pay to get a top notch coach. We do have a few more spots to drop before we hit bottom and are well on our way

Fans like you is the reason we have a second rate coach, accepting average and below play. The other thing the athletic was not willing to pay to get a top notch coach. We do have a few more spots to drop before we hit bottom and are well on our way
We lost by a total of 8 points to 2 top twenty teams this week...can you give the woman a recruiting class or two!! SMH..

If Coach Harper would only install the Coach Rick Barnes method on turnovers, we could see some improvement immediately. If a player of Barnes has a turnover, he is immediately pulled from practice and made to run from the floor to the top of the arena and back...do that 4 or 5 times in practice and turnovers stop. Barnes is even having more turnovers this year compared to last year.
So then the Barnes method is not working for Barnes this year. All you're doing is further beating down tired legs late in the season if the turnovers, as you said, indeed do not actually stop after the magical running.
Change the "running on the floor" to running from the floor to the top of the arena...do another turnover and its two trips up and back...do it three times and its 3 trips up and back. If that does not get their attention to ball security bench them. Horston usually has 4 to 6 turnovers and those turnovers usually result in more points than she scores. The point is she is a "negative" player until she stops turnovers.
I agree, unfortunately, Horston has been a negative. She'd make 5 or 6 t.os if she only played 5 mins. And some are so damaging and unforced, like the momentum killing ones she's made to kill our comeback the last 2 games. And she's already been benched for it, and is forced to play more than I suspect they'd like due to an extremely short bench.

But do you really, really think she does it because she doesn't realize ball security is important? Do you really think its intentional bad behavior that she can choose to stop so as to avoid extra running? You said yourself the punitive method is not working for Barnes.

I think the problem is different, more to do with lack or experience, skills, and confidence. Much harder to fix, old fashioned coaching cliches such as run til you puke are not effective. Pretty sure what ails JH can't be punished out of her or any player.

More Rennie, less Horston...
Actually, maybe. The stock answer would be Rennie kills us on defense. OTOH, how much worse could our perimeter defense be? We're afraid some quick guard might go off on us or something? The more "athletic" players aren't getting it done, so what the hell if we're two steps slow closing out instead of one?

As long as she can hit 3s, maybe she's an option.

In two different games now Ky and Arky we came back and played our best with all out pressure and small lineup. Key I would start because of D presence use her for screening and tell her to crash boards. Bring off the bench Rennie and Lou and some McCoy. Enough of KK and Harris.

Reactions: Benionsopinion
We lost by a total of 8 points to 2 top twenty teams this week...can you give the woman a recruiting class or two!! SMH..

I actually worry even more about that because I have seen nothing that shows that she can recruit at a high level. Maybe she is recruiting players that fit her system, but I have not been impressed. I guess time will tell

I actually worry even more about that because I have seen nothing that shows that she can recruit at a high level. Maybe she is recruiting players that fit her system, but I have not been impressed. I guess time will tell
I think you hit the nail on the head. If she can't win with the talent we have on the floor, I doub't that she will win with 3 star players that we are more than likely going to get

VN Store

Back