TEAM IS GETTING BETTER

We played tougher tonight but unfortunately our biggest problem, turnovers, was even worse than usual.

Kavanaugh-Fail.gif

“Come with me and you’ll be in a world of pure imagination”

I am not satisfied with the way our girls played "Rupp's Runts". No one wanted to take the "lil girls" inside and establish a presence. Rennia could have made a living going inside. Not satisfied with the Mental side of the game. Poorly Played.

Reactions: volnationnj
If Mulkey, Muffett, Dawn, or Geno were coaching this team, how would they be playing and what would the W/L record be?

And how is spring practice realistically going to help this team 8 months from now, except to encourage players to enter the transfer portal because they feel like they're being punished?

The turnovers definitely cost us the game and other games in the past. We scored 75 points on 66 shots which isn't terrible offense. The problem was we could've got 90 shots if not for so many miscues. I think we need to slow down the games with this group pushing the ball and trying to play to fast is getting us in trouble. We also need to start putting up the open shots not continually pass for a better shot or to get it inside. Getting a shot up every possession and over passing has been a problem all year.

Ok, I was very critical of the Harper hire, but had a lot of optimism that she could turn it around. I do see a better chemistry on this team from an interpersonal perspective, but not much improvement on the court. The fact that this team has two players who were top 5 recruits (Rennia and Jordan) and several others who were top 25 in their respective class (Kasi, Rae, Jazmin) tells me that there is a serious coaching deficiency. To have 23 turnovers this late in the season is completely unacceptable. Post play on offense is virtually non-existent, and lack of fundamentals like boxing out, screen and roll, and hard cuts to the basket continue to be embarrassing. You cannot blame players for doing their best in a new system, but the level of raw talent that is on this team is something that can be harnessed to what should be an SEC 2nd or 3rd place level. I like coach Harper as a person and am very thankful for what she was able to help the program accomplish as a player. But you have to wonder what a Jeff Walz, Vic Schafer, Kim Mulkey, or even Coach Neighbors could get out of this team. If you watched the game last night, contrast the energy and enthusiasm of the Arkansas staff vs ours. Not even close. We all wanted the fire and drive of Pat Summit in our new coach, I just don't see it consistently. I don't care if we went 10-19 on the season, if a player continues to make simple mistakes such as telegraphing passes, not boxing out, or taking possessions off, Pat would have sat their butts on the bench to teach them the priviledge of playing in a Lady Vols uniform. More accountability needs to happen. This losing streak looks a lot like Holly's last year from a pure coaching perspective. I don't think the team gave up or simply dialed it in. I think they are longing for the discipline needed to help elevate their game.
I am willing to give coach Harper a chance - one season doesn't mean she doesn't have 'IT', but at the same time, allowing players to continue to under perform with little accountability does not bring confidence to this Lady Vols fan of 35+ years. CKH needs to stop worrying about the fragility of the team's mentality and stomp on a few egg shells instead of trying to walk on them. Again, the amount of talent on this team is really top 10 if you look at individual recruiting rankings. It's time to step up, hold these players accountable and instill that Pat Summit mentality of either produce on the court, or sit on the bench!

Reactions: Volle
Who are you going to put in? They're all turnover prone. Everybody can't be benched. You have to put 5 on the floor. Name the 5 that need to be on the floor and also the 5 that need to ride the pine. We need answers if this is the solution. You can't just say all you need to do is bench them unless you specify who needs to be replaced.

VN Store

Back