Hmmm. Not sure about Caleb Calhoun’s concerns about Nieds..

Evergrenevol

Lux et Veritas
Interesting. When I read that Nieds was being elevated to a linebacker coach at UT, I twinged..... So I did a little research on him. I know for a fact that Nieds played a role in coaching linebackers at Georgia and Bama, and did a great job according to Pruitt and other coaches while there. Linebacker was his main focus prior to coming to Tennessee and Pruitt was his mentor. Not sure Caleb gets it..

Here’s what Caleb (a Tennessee fan & SEC beat writer who considers himself a UT expert) had to say about Nied’s promotion:

“Niedermeyer has never been an inside linebackers coach. Sure, Brian Niedermeyer has specialized in coaching linebackers in an off-field role. But the fact of the matter is he is taking over a position he has never coached. It’s always a concern when you hire a guy to coach a position he has never coached before, and Tennessee football did that when they moved Niedermeyer over to this role.”

Anyone have more insight on this?

Last edited:
Interesting. When I read that Nieds was being elevated to a linebacker coach at UT, I twinged..... So I did a little research on him. I know for a fact that Nieds played a role in coaching linebackers at Bama and did a great job according to Pruitt and other coaches while there. Linebacker was his main focus prior to coming to Tennessee and Pruitt was his mentor. Not sure Caleb gets it.. Here’s what he had to say about Nied’s promotion..

“Niedermeyer has never been an inside linebackers coach. Sure, Brian Niedermeyer has specialized in coaching linebackers in an off-field role. But the fact of the matter is he is taking over a position he has never coached. It’s always a concern when you hire a guy to coach a position he has never coached before, and Tennessee football did that when they moved Niedermeyer over to this role.”

Personally, I think it’s a huge reach. We’ll see. I think Sherrer was one of the best back there and the NFL hiring him for the same position ought to confirm that. I also thought Rocket was a really good position coach. Certainly more proven than who they replaced him with.

Reactions: TennMan101
Interesting. When I read that Nieds was being elevated to a linebacker coach at UT, I twinged..... So I did a little research on him. I know for a fact that Nieds played a role in coaching linebackers at Bama and did a great job according to Pruitt and other coaches while there. Linebacker was his main focus prior to coming to Tennessee and Pruitt was his mentor. Not sure Caleb gets it.. Here’s what he had to say about Nied’s promotion..

I trust CJP........if he has the confidence in Nieds.........then I do. At the end of the day, you have to trust the HC's decisions.

Go Vols!

Pruitt's philosophy has always been that great coaches can coach multiple positions. And Nieds worked at LB for 3 years under Pruitt between Georgia and Alabama. I'm not worried about it. Which is really a testament to how much I trust Pruitt's ability to evaluate coaches; Pruitt knows good coaches when he sees them.

Remember, Nieds hadn't been a position coach at any D-1 school before Pruitt hired him here as TE Coach. Pruitt could have definitely hired someone with more experience, but he chose Nieds instead; and that move has paid off.

Pruitt's philosophy has always been that great coaches can coach multiple positions. And Nieds worked at LB for 3 years under Pruitt between Georgia and Alabama. I'm not worried about it. Which is really a testament to how much I trust Pruitt's ability to evaluate coaches; Pruitt knows good coaches when he sees them.

Remember, Nieds hadn't been a position coach at any D-1 school before Pruitt hired him here as TE Coach. Pruitt could have definitely hired someone with more experience, but he chose Nieds instead; and that move has paid off.

I'm sure someone gave him a "LB for Dummies" book to read up on.

Don't waller in your pee thinking about it. Trust your head coach.

Personally, I think it’s a huge reach. We’ll see. I think Sherrer was one of the best back there and the NFL hiring him for the same position ought to confirm that. I also thought Rocket was a really good position coach. Certainly more proven than who they replaced him with.
College coaches have to be able to recruit and neither seemed to do a really good job at it. They were great position coaches... not so much in the recruiting department.

VN Store

Back