Upcoming game against Arkansas

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Any early thoughts on this game?

Arkansas is 17-10 overall and 12-4 at home. They're coming off of a 78-68 win at home against Missouri. Before that they lost by five at Florida and by one at home against Mississippi State. We beat them 82-61 back on Feb. 11th.

I haven't seen a line yet, so not sure what the projection is.

Reactions: RollerVol
Any early thoughts on this game?

Arkansas is 17-10 overall and 12-4 at home. They're coming off of a 78-68 win at home against Missouri. Before that they lost by five at Florida and by one at home against Mississippi State. We beat them 82-61 back on Feb. 11th.

I haven't seen a line yet, so not sure what the projection is.
I think the bounces will go the way of the BasketVols and they will get a much needed win over Arkansas.

They're 5-9 in the conference. Looking at those five wins:

Texas A&M
at Ole Miss
Vanderbilt
at Alabama
Missouri

I’m concerned about this team’s morale after the Auburn game. I think we have the talent to win and recognize Arkansas' futility in-conference, but I’m very worried we’ve chalked this season up as a loss.

I hope to be wrong on Wednesday!

Last edited:
I know it’s probably just wishful thinking to talk about the tourney now, but if we really do want a shot without having to win the SEC tourney, we can lose probably just one more regular season game. Can’t be to a team that’s 5-12 in conference, not with who we have coming up. Hopefully they can brush off the Auburn game and win this one, certainly a lot better matchup than Auburn. I’ll say we pull it out

Last edited:
Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I’m concerned about this team’s morale after the Auburn game. I think we have the talent to win and recognize Auburn’s futility in-conference, but I’m very worried we’ve chalked this season up as a loss.

I'm interested in whether Bowden can put together back-to-back solid shooting games. Could go a long way toward helping us be competitive on Wednesday.

I know it’s probably just wishful thinking to talk about the tourney now, but if we really do want a shot without having to win the SEC tourney, we can lose probably just one more regular season game. Can’t be a team that’s 5-12 in conference. Hopefully they can brush off the Auburn game and win this one, certainly a lot better matchup than Auburn. I’ll say we pull it out
I'm sure that Auburn loss was tough to take mentally for the players, just as it was for us fans. I think our guys will continue to play hard, we just have to shoot the ball reasonably well and limit turnovers.

I think they got what many consider their best player, Isaiah Joe, back from an injury. If that is the case, it will definitely make it a tougher game to win.

Different team with Joe. Didn't win after he went down. won first game he was back. and at home. Not a good feeling but I picked Wilder.

Love my Vols but think the Auburn game will be too mu not overcome going forward. They are still kids and Barnes basically said they are mentally weak - maybe not an exact quote.

Hope they can bounce back.

This team, sans much in the way of outspoken leadership, is likely teetering on the edge after that AU loss. I think it's impossible to predict what this bunch will do next time out. Winning by 2 on the road wouldn't surprise me any more than losing by 20. Outside of the TOs, they really played well against AU in a hostile environment only getting 41 minutes total from Fulk and Vescovi. If they can build on the things they did great (Bowden's performance, Gaines' performance, etc.), then they may surprise us with a win in a place we have long struggled to walk out with a W. If they dwell on the AU game and allow it to define their season, it could get ugly.

If UT can get some scoring from Pons and Fulkerson to go with Bowden and Vescovi then we should be in position to steal a win.

Tennessee needs to keep turnovers to a minimum to win any game left on the schedule as turnovers have been UT's nemesis all season long.

Arkansas, in their last five home games, have scored 78,77,76,77,78 respectively.
I think we can hold them below that 77 point average. My only concern of course, is if we can put up 80

Will be a tough game at their place and I’m sure they will have revenge on the mind. That auburn game was a killer mentally so it’s hard to know which vols team will show up.

I'm interested in whether Bowden can put together back-to-back solid shooting games. Could go a long way toward helping us be competitive on Wednesday.
Me too. If Bowden can start rolling, while also Pons/Fulk pulling in double digit scoring, rounded by Vescovi doing his thing, while not turning the ball over, is formula for win. D has been good, as a whole...gonna need to be able to consistently score in the high 60’s/low 70’s to have a chance at some of these closing games.

Reactions: Warriorvol
I know it’s probably just wishful thinking to talk about the tourney now, but if we really do want a shot without having to win the SEC tourney, we can lose probably just one more regular season game. Can’t be to a team that’s 5-12 in conference, not with who we have coming up. Hopefully they can brush off the Auburn game and win this one, certainly a lot better matchup than Auburn. I’ll say we pull it out
To be on the Next 4 out, this team needs to win out and win a couple of games in the SEC tourney. Cannot afford another regular season loss. They are 1-9 in Quad 1 games, which will not impress the tournament selection committee and they have really bad losses from GA and Texas A&M. Maybe NIT bound, but no guarantees there if they lose 3 of 4 at end of season.

Reactions: OG.V83
I’m concerned about this team’s morale after the Auburn game. I think we have the talent to win and recognize Auburn’s futility in-conference, but I’m very worried we’ve chalked this season up as a loss.

Agree, we are almost a good team. We just aren't closing games. Blowing yet another big lead could cause a downward spiral for a team that otherwise is close to getting there.

Me too. If Bowden can start rolling, while also Pons/Fulk pulling in double digit scoring, rounded by Vescovi doing his thing, while not turning the ball over, is formula for win. D has been good, as a whole...gonna need to be able to consistently score in the high 60’s/low 70’s to have a chance at some of these closing games.

What is really strange about this is that Vescovi, Fulky, and JJJ had 15 turnovers in only about 1/2 a game. If they had not been in foul trouble, we would have possibly had 35 turnovers in this game.

Our reserves played a big part in getting us a 17 point lead only to have the better players on the team blow it in the 2nd half. Coach isn't helping a whole lot in his time-outs and rotation and not taking any of the blame.

Reactions: OG.V83

VN Store

Back