Players Leaving

Coach Jumper

I can be there tomorrow
Need to start building the roster with kids that are athletic but have better skill sets. Need some shooters, kids that have solid footwork, pass with both hands.
Striplin is a decent start. Puckett would be nice also in 21. Need the Wynne kid at Ensworth too.
Tired of the phrase “tallest team in the country”. Carter is 5’8 on a good day at A&M but terribly skilled. That’s just one example I can give ya.
And lastly, how the krap did HW not get on Howard early, and seal the deal? Travesty!

Seems to me that most everyone that transfers out has better skill sets than when they were with us, should tell you something

Agreed.
Get some kids with a motor that can play. Need some basketball players and not just these 6’2 guards that are nice on paper and recruited mainly based on potential. Ridiculous evaluations from previous staff on several prospects but not being all over Rhyne Howard early is hard to comprehend.
Hopefully we make huge strides offensively this next season but hard to see that happening unless we can get a post player that can play and/or perimeter players that aren’t walking turnovers.

Be careful for what you wish for, got it !
Exactly

Players that every college in the US would gladly take.
Players who read this crap and go to their dorm rooms and wonder why they are here.
Players whose parents read this crap and wonder if the fanbase of this university appreciates their kids.
Players who put 12 hour days into their efforts to improve.
Players who are now leaving : one with reason and one seemingly "without reason"
Players who are possibly leaving this program bc of the bashing they are getting on sites like this one.
Players have committed four years of their life to represent a fanbase that outspokenly disapproves of their lifestyle choices.
Players who have been loved by HS fans and coveted by many universities and now have to read this drivel...
Players who see that they are devalued by posters who think of them as plug-n-play commodities
Players who should be appreciated!

Players read this crap, people,, and so do Moms and Dads.

Many of you work 8 hours a day then go home to watch tv. . . I listened to a podcast of one of our players (Jordan) on Spotify and they asked her of an average day. She said she gets early (earlier in the summer) and goes to meetings,, workouts,, practices,, her own after practice workouts,, often skipping meals bc she forgets to eat bc she is so busy. Usually ending her BB day around 6PM

In the podcast she says:...
  • She says..."I don't want nothing give to me I want to work for it"
  • She said she wants a real Coach. She says quote "are you going to coach me or you just going to let me do what I'm going to do" (imagine someone actually wanting to be coached)
  • The thing that she remembers about recruitment is, "the person who recruited you is not the person who's going to coach you"
Lady Vols Freshman Jordan Horston recap of year 1. - BallNGems Got the Hoop Scope

We have commitment from our kids to this extent and all they read is the above.
Posters, all it takes is one demeaning or degrading post to overshadow all the good ones.

An young girl once told me...
"Coach is all you see, what I do wrong,,,you never tell me what I do right"
I showed her this
TTT x 25.jpg
and said what do you see?
She said "one's upside down"
I said, "but 24 are correct...why didn't you notice them?

As djtee said...Careful what you wish for, because you may get it and may already be getting it

Hell of a good/great thread Coach J....You said what needed to be said...Thank you!

These young ladies are trying to be the best modern day Lady Vols they can be....Not the Lady Vols of whatever era we like to recall.....

Hell of a good/great thread Coach J....You said what needed to be said...Thank you!

These young ladies are trying to be the best modern day Lady Vols they can be....Not the Lady Vols of whatever era we like to recall.....

We've just got to give them a chance, GT

I have been in contact with multiple player/parents in my time on this site and I hear straight from the horses mouths of the lack of appreciation and the personal bashing and how hard it is for the families to read.

Social media is a thing of the new millennium. To tell a kid that has grown up in it, not to peruse it is like telling a dog not to chase a cat...as long as the dog is on the leash, you have control,,put the dog out for his business and Mr cat beware.

We've just got to give them a chance, GT

I have been in contact with multiple player/parents in my time on this site and I hear straight from the horses mouths of the lack of appreciation and the personal bashing and how hard it is for the families to read.

Social media is a thing of the new millennium. To tell a kid that has grown up in it, not to peruse it is like telling a dog not to chase a cat...as long as the dog is on the leash, you have control,,put the dog out for his business and Mr cat beware.
You know UT can't control people and what they say, right?

No, but in theory, people can control what they say
Somewhere along the way we have lost our ability to have thick skin and all of these kids who want a constant pat on the back and told they can do no wrong is why we are getting soft as a society. I sure as hell hope we don't have to go to war with this up and coming generation, good grief. Somewhere a long the lines kids just need to suck it the hell up and get going or get gone. How much ridicule do you think Jarrett Guarantano has taken over the last 3 years? I'm almost willing to bet he took more crap last year than all the Lady Vols teams combined over the last 4 years, did he transfer? No, point is kids use this reasoning as a crutch or scapegoat as to why they're leaving but at the end of the day its no more than an excuse. There are some legit reasons for transfers however most miss the pat on the a$$ they got during the recruitment process and they also miss the constant reminders of how great they are when they were in high school. Lack of appreciation? come on man

I'll just say that players who are not 100 percent bought in to your program or disrespect the rules of the team are never going to be the kind of players you can depend on to win consistently. We may have a long ride to getting the right roster, but I think we will get there. She got there really well at Missouri State who anyone has to admit is a tough place to recruit a winning team. I can see where were going and I can see it may take a while to get there. I hope fan patience will at least give the time needed. I do agree that we must make the huge first step in 2021 class need a top ten class need players that are totally bought in, but also talented enough to compete on the major level.

Somewhere along the way we have lost our ability to have thick skin and all of these kids who want a constant pat on the back and told they can do no wrong is why we are getting soft as a society. I sure as hell hope we don't have to go to war with this up and coming generation, good grief. Somewhere a long the lines kids just need to suck it the hell up and get going or get gone. How much ridicule do you think Jarrett Guarantano has taken over the last 3 years? I'm almost willing to bet he took more crap last year than all the Lady Vols teams combined over the last 4 years, did he transfer? No, point is kids use this reasoning as a crutch or scapegoat as to why they're leaving but at the end of the day its no more than an excuse. There are some legit reasons for transfers however most miss the pat on the a$$ they got during the recruitment process and they also miss the constant reminders of how great they are when they were in high school. Lack of appreciation? come on man

You don't have female children, do you.
Girls are not boys and they react differently to the same phenomenon.
I truly hope you don't coach females.

Stay safe

Were any of y'all on the message boards before 2007? Do you remember all the talk of how the game had passed Pat by, how the players were not cornfed chicks anymore, and just weren't the type to want to win like teams in the 80's & 90's? Do you remember the grief people gave Kellie Jolly because she was so slow and how we needed a real point guard? How lazy Michelle Snow was? How lazy Tasha Butts was? Do you remember Johnny Major talking about the Legions of the Miserable because his football teams could never please the fans - and he had players like Willie Gault, Carl Pickens, Reggie White?

Steve Spurrier has said that a coach, no matter how good his team's record, will lose 10% of the fan base each year he coaches. Fans always want a better coach, a better team. And he certainly was in a position to know, as he had a great record and great players year after year. But he still had fans that wanted something different.

I guess my point is negative fans are a given in sports. "The wind blows hardest at the top of the flagpole" - The better the program, the tougher the fans are on the program. We fans just haven't given up on the idea that we're a great program. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Does it hurt the program?

So I am all behind Coach Kellie and generally try to be positive. But, we will not replace Zay and Jaz talentwise out of the transfer portal. I wish these kids well with all my heart but goodness we will miss them next year. I believe our team will play better next year for many reasons but it will not be because we picked up transfers that are superior to these two. Please no more kids leaving!

I borrowed your post

You just belittled every female athlete by saying they cant be as tough as a Male athlete

You're schooling me?.."Oh wise sage, embellish me with your wisdom on coaching females"

I never said anything about tough, I tried, though obviously in failing, to let you know that females internalize things said to them differently.

Say to the average boy, "Is that all you've got" and they will bow-up and give you more.
Say to the average female, "is that all you've got" and she will fold-up and give you even less.

Factor in too that if a man says "is that all you've got"
and a female says "is that all you've got" to another female
different results will happen

No this is not true for ALL females, but the vast majority,,,in over 40 years of working exclusively with females I have found these to be truths. But then
images

Reactions: tn4everlvfl
If that's his opinion of the female psyche, I can see why he's been waiting by the phone despite his generous offer that he "can be there tomorrow"

Good grief...

are you a man who coaches women?

I did say..."No this is not true for ALL females, but the vast majority "

BTW,,,regarding my old tag-line...I haven't said that in a year yet you still quote it to this day so it was very effective

Last edited:
I get twice the effort when I say "give me more" than if I say, "is that all you've got"
unless you walk in my shoes,,,you can't know

Reactions: tn4everlvfl
are you a man who coaches women?

I did say..."No this is not true for ALL females, but the vast majority "

BTW,,,regarding my old tag-line...I haven't said that in a year yet you still quote it to this day so it was very effective

I'm a man working in a female-dominated corporate industry who has significant experience managing women for the last 20 years. And as any good manager knows, you manage based on the individual and not the bias. I've had both passive and assertive maIes AND females that have reported to me over the years and know that to get the best out of them, I have to know how to motivate them as INDIVIDUALS. I wouldn't have lasted through my first year if I had your archaic view of gender assumptions.

Given that you are trying to use this platform to demonstrate your supposed expertise on coaching females, you might want to get with the times.

Regarding your tagline...well, you know the saying, "you never get a chance to make a second first impression". I'll let you ponder on that.

Last edited:
Note:

I started this thread to see if I could get the real Lady Vol fans to rally and build back up the tear-down what social media has done to our program. And now it is turning into another thread for argument instead of its purpose

You people are causing us to lose athletes because of this negativism.
These kids read this media and they are affected by it.
Kellie can only ask them not to go here, but this is a social media world and you can't get it out from under your kids.

People, you better stop beating up on our players and realize that your posts (and mine!) could be the reason for players like Jazmine's departure.
It is entirely possible.

Worse yet, Jaz is not the player with the most hateful posts against her.
KK, Jordan, Rennia, Rae, Lou, TK, Emily, and Coach K and the rest have all had hateful things said about them.
Does it take losing more players to get through you?

I try to keep my posts constructive and not personal
Will you?

Please?!

Are we really, as a volnation, going to let a handful of posters run off our players or are we going to stand tall and show these kids we appreciate them

I'm a man working in a female-dominated corporate industry who has significant experience managing women for the last 20 years. And as any good manager knows, you manage based on the individual and not the bias. I've had both passive and assertive maIes AND females that have reported to me over the years and know that to get the best out of them, I have to know how to motivate them as INDIVIDUALS. I wouldn't have lasted through my first year if I had your archaic view of gender assumptions.

Given that you are trying to use this platform to demonstrate your supposed expertise on coaching females, you might want to get with the times.

Regarding your tagline...well, you know the saying, "you never get a chance to make a first impression". I'll let you ponder on that.

How about using some of that wealth of wisdom to do some good instead of fighting with me.

You're schooling me?.."Oh wise sage, embellish me with your wisdom on coaching females"

I never said anything about tough, I tried, though obviously in failing, to let you know that females internalize things said to them differently.

Say to the average boy, "Is that all you've got" and they will bow-up and give you more.
Say to the average female, "is that all you've got" and she will fold-up and give you even less.

Factor in too that if a man says "is that all you've got"
and a female says "is that all you've got" to another female
different results will happen

No this is not true for ALL females, but the vast majority,,,in over 40 years of working exclusively with females I have found these to be truths. But then
images

Lol I get it you're a self proclaimed expert, haven't I called you out before about claiming to work with the Lakers.

Reactions: Franklin Pierce

VN Store

Back