Memorial Day Thank You

A lot of people conflate Memorial Day and Veteran's Day, so don't feel too bad. We should all politely remind others that this is the day we've set aside to honor those who died serving our country and ensure that they will never be forgotten. And we can best honor them by living our lives and enjoying the freedoms that their sacrifice preserved -- and never take them for granted or allow them to be diminished.

Memorial Day is the day we honor the dead, we, the living veterans, have our day in November. The list of brothers I lost over 12 years in the Corps is too long. Memorial day is for them. Any living vet shouldn't have an issue with giving their fallen brothers their due. Those living vets looking for attention on this day need to pound sand.

My Uncle was in the Battle of the Bulge. He was shell shocked and when he came home he had the shakes in his hands real bad until the day he died in the late 70's. My Dad was a Marine and he started at Camp Pendleton CA and Island hopped all the way to Okinawa at the end. He said Saipan was the worst battle. Lost him in 2003. I had it much easier in the Air Force, being on the fringes of Dessert Storm Campaign.

My mom and I were talking about this this past weekend. My grandfather and his 4 brothers all were Army in WWII. 3 went to the Pacific, 2 to Europe. All were grunts on the front lines. All five returned. What are the odds all five would make it back? Besides the Grace of God I think it helped they were some good ol' Tennessee boys from White County who knew how to shoot.

Was that in the TeT offensive?
Yes. We were stabbed in the back by our country. Walter Cronkite called it a terrible defeat. In the Tet offensive we lost 2500 men. They lost 50,000, yet it was a defeat. During the peace talks the NVA general admitted that they were ready to quit after Tet, but our spineless nation abandoned us.

Honoring Mr. Bobby Gamble. Lost his Life in Vietnam. And In reality; had no business being there. Not the Soldier type.

I was thinking the same thing. There was a young guy (friend) who was sent to Vietnam who was not the type. He was fun loving and would have never hurt a flea. Just never saw him as a "fighting man". When he returned he never recovered. Many years after, he saw his life wasting away and tried to come to grips with reality. As he started to "come around" he died. (I have always felt from agent orange problems among other things "from the war"). To me his life was a waste, but, RIP Jerry.

Yes. We were stabbed in the back by our country. Walter Cronkite called it a terrible defeat. In the Tet offensive we lost 2500 men. They lost 50,000, yet it was a defeat. During the peace talks the NVA general admitted that they were ready to quit after Tet, but our spineless nation abandoned us.
Yes, I remember well. Our country and our boys were sold out by the liberal politicians and especially that bitch Jane Fonda. God curse her traitious soul. I will never forget.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019

VN Store

Back