A View from Big Ben

London Vol

Firstly, I hope everybody is safe and well, according to my research Tennessee has not been too badly hit with Covid-19 unlike England, if so, let’s hope it keeps that way.

From all accounts it would seem there is a good chance that the 2020 season may well take place, hooray!! So, I thought I would list my Offense for the season. I know there will be some good surprises and some disappointments but anyway here goes.

QUARTERBACK

Starter: Jarrett Guarantano – My thoughts on Guarantano has been like being on a ride on a rollercoster, but let me explain my reasoning. His strengths are that he has a bullet arm for the 20+ yard completion. Having re-run the matches from 2019 I saw this many times. He is also brave as a lion and is prepared to take the late hit to get off the throw. His weaknesses are that he takes too long to go through his reads and he has poor touch for the dump off, screen and lateral passes. Now I believe we have an exceptional Offensive Line this year and unlike all the other years that Guarantano has been under centre, this time he will have plenty of time and protection for the 20+ yard opportunities to be there so, at last it will play to his advantage.

Back-up: Harrison Bailey – Hopefully we will have multiple years enjoying this guy but missing Spring practice is a hugh handicap for him to get the starting gig this season especially at the start.

Squad Brian Maurer and JD Shrout – I don’t want Maurer to play this year but actually want him to get his life back together, good luck young man! JD will probably need to transfer but I rate him and we will look back sometime and realise that he had talent.

RUNNING BACK

Starter: Eric Gray – Take in to account the Offensive Line this season and watching the Vanderbilt and Indiana games Eric just may have a monster year. Yes, he is elusive and surprisingly tough but the really cherry on the cake is that at last we have a running back who can take it to the house. Get used to big runs this season.

Back Ups: Ty Chandler and Tim Jordan – Whilst Chandler has by no means been a failure, he may have missed the boat due to Gray getting most of the opportunities and he may need an injury to give him the opportunity to make him draftable next year. As for Jordan, the story is the same as Chandler, a very solid player but does not have the same high ceiling so his chances will be reduced.

Squad: Tee Hodge and Len`eth Whitehead – Hodge will maybe get a few 3rd and 1 snaps and I think Whitehead will redshirt and then appear as a Linebacker

WIDE RECEIVERS

Starters: Josh Palmer, Ramel Keyton, D’Angelo Gibbs and Jalin Hyatt – Palmer is poised for a breakout season, two years ago his ypc was in the 20s, He has good hands and terrific athletic ability (just look at the touchdown catch at Kentucky, pure Sunday afternoon standard). Keytons time has arrived to show that the potential shown is for real. I will trust the reports last season about Gibbs as having great hands, runs good routes and is as smooth as silk. I think either Hyatt or Wideman will crack the starting line-up and I have chosen Hyatt for this season, he has extra speed that can take the "top off" the defence and he has a chance to have a role like Tyreek Hill.

Back Ups: Malachi Wideman, Brandon Johnson – As mentioned I think Wideman will leave his mark on Volnation before he graduates, he has the range of Juan Jennings but with more speed. Brandon Johnson is in the Tim Jordan mould in the fact that he is very reliable but with a lower ceiling.

Squad: Jimmy Calloway, Jimmy Holiday – It’s hard to leave Calloway so low in the depth chart but it shows just how good our recruiting was last season, his day will come. Holiday will start behind the others purely because he wants a chance to be quarterback first but apparently his speed is exceptional.

TIGHT ENDS

Starter: Austin Pope – Pope is renowned for his blocking skills more than his catching ability, in fact he gains the starting gig on the grounds that the rest of this group have been quite underwhelming.

Back Ups: Jordan Allen and Dee Beckwith – I am intrigued by Allens potential at Tight End and I hope Beckwith will transfer here and with his ability he may well come through and become the second tight End.

Squad: Jackson Lowe, Sean Brown, Jacob Warren and Princeton Fant,- so chaps who wants “it” the most?

OFFENSIVE LINE

Left Tackle: Wanya Morris – I expect a second year surge, he has so much ability and has now taken his freshman lumps so its time for Tennessee to reap the rewards.

Left Guard: Trey Smith – Having mentioned earlier that I have re-watched the matches from last season it stood out how dominant Trey was last season and that was without practicing. This season will see him rise to at top 15 draft pick and in Tennessee by coming back for his senior year, it will elevate him from the status of “great” to “folklore”

Centre: Brandon Kennedy – Very lucky that we have another season with this “rock”. All you need to know about him is Trey Smith looks up to him !!

Right Guard: Cade Mays – A great great pick up for us and it will mean the Offensive Line will be balanced with Trey on the other side (no double teams). I guess his fathers issues will get him clearance for 2020. Finally I`m so pleased Cade “came home” because in later life he will come to appreciate the importance of that decision.

Right Tackle: Darnell Wright - I expect a second year surge, he has so much ability and has now taken his freshman lumps so its time for Tennessee to reap the rewards. Yes Wright and Morris will always be linked together.

Back Ups: K`Rojhn Calbert and Jeremy Carvin, Cooper Mays – The first two players would be starters and good starters at most Power 5 teams. They will still get many snaps. Mays is also going to be a good “un”

Squad: Riley Lockear, Jackson Lampley, Chris Akporoghene,, Jahmir Johnson, Ollie Lane – Now you see what a 3 deep depth chart looks like, quite frankly this could have been the starting line-up for Butch Jones.

As I write this I am starting to get the start of the season buzz. Please feel free to discuss/agree/disagree with me as always

GO VOLS

Last edited:
Firstly, I hope everybody is safe and well, according to my research Tennessee has not been too badly hit with Covid-19 unlike England, if so, let’s hope it keeps that way.

From all accounts it would seem there is a good chance that the 2020 season may well take place, hooray!! So, I thought I would list my Offense for the season. I know there will be some good surprises and some disappointments but anyway here goes.

QUARTERBACK

Starter: Jarrett Guarantano – My thoughts on Guarantano has been like being on a ride on a rollercoster, but let me explain my reasoning. His strengths are that he has a bullet arm for the 20+ yard completion. Having re-run the matches from 2019 I saw this many times. He is also brave as a lion and is prepared to take the late hit to get off the throw. His weaknesses are that he takes too long to go through his reads and he has poor touch for the dump off, screen and lateral passes. Now I believe we have an exceptional Offensive Line this year and unlike all the other years that Guarantano has been under centre, this time he will have plenty of time and protection for the 20+ yard opportunities to be there so, at last it will play to his advantage.

Back-up: Harrison Bailey – Hopefully we will have multiple years enjoying this guy but missing Spring practice is a hugh handicap for him to get the starting gig this season especially at the start.

Squad Brian Maurer and JD Shrout – I don’t want Maurer to play this year but actually want him to get his life back together, good luck young man! JD will probably need to transfer but I rate him and we will look back sometime and realise that he had talent.

RUNNING BACK

Starter: Eric Gray – Take in to account the Offensive Line this season and watching the Vanderbilt and Indiana games Eric just may have a monster year. Yes, he is elusive and surprisingly tough but the really cherry on the cake is that at last we have a running back who can take it to the house. Get used to big runs this season.

Back Ups: Ty Chandler and Tim Jordan – Whilst Chandler has by no means been a failure, he may have missed the boat due to Gray getting most of the opportunities and he may need an injury to give him the opportunity to make him draftable next year. As for Jordan, the story is the same as Chandler, a very solid player but does not have the same high ceiling so his chances will be reduced.

Squad: Tee Hodge and Len`eth Whitehead – Hodge will maybe get a few 3rd and 1 snaps and I think Whitehead will redshirt and then appear as a Linebacker

WIDE RECEIVERS

Starters: Josh Palmer, Ramel Keyton, D’Angelo Gibbs and Jalin Hyatt – Palmer is poised for a breakout season, two years ago his ypc was in the 20s, He has good hands and terrific athletic ability (just look at the touchdown catch at Kentucky, pure Sunday afternoon standard). Keytons time has arrived to show that the potential shown is for real. I will trust the reports last season about Gibbs as having great hands, runs good routes and is as smooth as silk. I think either Hyatt or Wideman will crack the starting line-up and I have chosen Hyatt for this season, he has extra speed that can take the "top off" the defence and he has a chance to have a role like Tyreek Hill.

Back Ups: Malachi Wideman, Brandon Johnson – As mentioned I think Wideman will leave his mark on Volnation before he graduates, he has the range of Juan Jennings but with more speed. Brandon Johnson is in the Tim Jordan mould in the fact that he is very reliable but with a lower ceiling.

Squad: Jimmy Calloway, Jimmy Holiday – It’s hard to leave Calloway so low in the depth chart but it shows just how good our recruiting was last season, his day will come. Holiday will start behind the others purely because he wants a chance to be quarterback first but apparently his speed is exceptional.

TIGHT ENDS

Starter: Austin Pope – Pope is renowned for his blocking skills more than his catching ability, in fact he gains the starting gig on the grounds that the rest of this group have been quite underwhelming.

Back Ups: Jordan Allen and Dee Beckwith – I am intrigued by Allens potential at Tight End and I hope Beckwith will transfer here and with his ability he may well come through and become the second tight End.

Squad: Jackson Lowe, Sean Brown, Jacob Warren and Princeton Fant,- so chaps who wants “it” the most?

OFFENSIVE LINE

Left Tackle: Wanya Morris – I expect a second year surge, he has so much ability and has now taken his freshman lumps so its time for Tennessee to reap the rewards.

Left Guard: Trey Smith – Having mentioned earlier that I have re-watched the matches from last season it stood out how dominant Trey was last season and that was without practicing. This season will see him rise to at top 15 draft pick and in Tennessee by coming back for his senior year, it will elevate him from the status of “great” to “folklore”

Centre: Brandon Kennedy – Very lucky that we have another season with this “rock”. All you need to know about him is Trey Smith looks up to him !!

Right Guard: Cade Mays – A great great pick up for us and it will mean the Offensive Line will be balanced with Trey on the other side (no double teams). I guess his fathers issues will get him clearance for 2020. Finally I`m so pleased Cade “came home” because in later life he will come to appreciate the importance of that decision.

Right Tackle: Darnell Wright - I expect a second year surge, he has so much ability and has now taken his freshman lumps so its time for Tennessee to reap the rewards. Yes Wright and Morris will always be linked together.

Back Ups: K`Rojhn Calbert and Jeremy Carvin, Cooper Mays – The first two players would be starters and good starters at most Power 5 teams. They will still get many snaps. Mays is also going to be a good “un”

Squad: Riley Lockear, Jackson Lampley, Chris Akporoghene,, Jahmir Johnson, Ollie Lane – Now you see what a 3 deep depth chart looks like, quite frankly this could have been the starting line-up for Butch Jones.

As I write this I am starting to get the start of the season buzz. Please feel free to discuss/agree/disagreedr with me as always

GO VOLS
This is a great post !!! Thank you London, and stay safe !!!

Reactions: savannahfan
Very nicely done London Vol! You guys over to a beating with COVID-19. I am in Palm Beach County FL. we've had our share as well.

VFL...GBO

Thank you for your kind words Hulavol and Palm Beach Vol, its appreciated.

Yes its not been good here, but lets hope a vaccine is coming soon

Excellent analysis London Vol! Two rooms that are intriguing - WR and QB . . . There is a lot of talent in each room and so many opportunities, let's see who steps up and takes advantage.

GBO

Thank you for your kind words Hulavol and Palm Beach Vol, its appreciated.

Yes its not been good here, but lets hope a vaccine is coming soon
Having spent a fair amount of time in London myself, would love to trade stories- you lemme know when you are stateside again for a game - your party is welcome at my tailgate any time !

Always look forward to your posts. In sort of an interesting way, they fire me up a bit. I also wish I could add "whilst" to my vocabulary, but I always seem to forget to use it...

I would probably add Jamir Johnson to the backup role as he saw extensive action last season

I'd add Brandon Johnson as a starter instead of Hyatt as he led the team in receiving yds 2 years ago before taking a redshirt last year. Velus Jones also should figure into the rotation after more than 1000 career yds at USC

Your analysis of JG was pretty good, although I anticipate he'll be on a short leash early on..

Look forward to seeing the defense.

Last edited:
He called the games matches. Love it.

Good break down though but I think that lack of spring practice is going to be just as bad for JG as it is for the rest of the QB's. In fact I reckon this is JG's longest break from playing organized football since high school...and that ain't good..

Good write up. As for JG, I think this will be his year to put it all together. I think another year of maturity will settle him down and enable him to put his "pocket presents" on display for all to see.

He called the games matches. Love it.

Good break down though but I think that lack of spring practice is going to be just as bad for JG as it is for the rest of the QB's. In fact I reckon this is JG's longest break from playing organized football since high school...and that ain't good..

Do you think that nearly all teams offenses will suffer from the lack of spring? Seems to me it will hurt offense more than defense. More to the point, looks like most SEC school are gonna have some QB to receiver or timing to running back loss of meshing because of the lost practice time. Or have some of the teams been able to get these folks together informally?

Reactions: Bennessee01
Do you think that nearly all teams offenses will suffer from the lack of spring? Seems to me it will hurt offense more than defense. More to the point, looks like most SEC school are gonna have some QB to receiver or timing to running back loss of meshing because of the lost practice time. Or have some of the teams been able to get these folks together informally?
I think its going to impact everybody, but more so for the offenses that aren't very good.

With UT the big issue is everyone is hoping that JG is improved with 2 years under Chaney..Well, its still just 1 year and 1 spring practice under Chaney so far give or take. I can promise Chaney has been stashed away during this covid thing since he is the poster child for being at risk of death.

Much better discussion than basketball players, beer bugs or cooking. Thank you!

QB - Yes, this OL should provide more time, but I'm honestly scared that will only enable JG's established weakness, slow decision making. The problem with what is does is losing the windows where the would-be ball carrier has a positional & momentum advantage that will enable them to evade defenders and maximize yardage. Giving JG more time doesn't fix that, only gives receivers more time to get clearly open where JG will throw the ball. There's really no rational reason to think JG's decision making will speed up, so I expect we'll suffer through an unnecessary loss before a change is made. I just hope that loss isn't UF. Agree about Shrout likely transferring.

RB - Think Chandler and Gray will wind up bracketed starters. Wonder if we might run some split back formations at some point this season because both have the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield as well as run in a single back formation; so it would give an OC interesting options and DC's some new headaches to cover. No reason not to average over 180 yds/game rushing this year and be able to pick up tough yards when necessary.

TE - Okay, interesting position. 7 TE's on the roster and bringing 2/3 more in with the next class and 3 graduating. Do not believe we carry 7 tight ends long-term but rather 3-5. So what are we going to do with all these folks... I suspect Pope, Allen & Warren get the majority of the snaps. None of them strike fear in a DC's heart, but they should be servicable. See Brown transitioning to OL and Beckwith winding up at WR despite his size.

WR - Unproven group. Expect Johnson to start. Could see this group (plus Beckwith) all playing and 0 redshirts this year. Lots of talent, but will require one or more of the true freshmen stepping up to carry this group where we want it to be.

OL - Last time we had this kind of opportunity with an OL was 1989. One of the great lines in the history of college football. If they gel (big if given missing spring and not being on campus to work together) then this is the kind of line that could generate a double-digit win total. OL is the most important position on the offense and Pruitt & Co have done a really good job of stacking these guys up.

Reactions: London Vol
Extremely well thought out post. I agree on pretty much every analysis you made. Great job! Keep safe and have a blessed evening.

Having spent a fair amount of time in London myself, would love to trade stories- you lemme know when you are stateside again for a game - your party is welcome at my tailgate any time !

Yes I would also be happy to share stories anytime. As for finally getting to The Great Neyland, thanks to Covid-19 I have no chance getting there this year so its Bob Kesling or Sky Sports or You Tube or any other means to follow the Vols but I will be there in spirit suffering with the rest of you. Then 2021 I really want to come and take you up on your tailgate offer.

VN Store

Back