Eric Gray reflects on raising thousands for St. Jude in HS

kamoshika

Eric Gray came from a family full of football players, and his own mother was the commissioner of his youth football league. Tennessee’s sophomore running back said his family raised him to be more than an athlete, though, and to use his athleticism to help others if given an opportunity.

Opportunity came calling when Gray was a senior at Memphis’ Lausanne Collegiate School. Gray noticed something on close friend and teammate Isaac Weiss’ computer screen during a study hall. “He was on this thing called ‘Pledge It,’ like ‘Isaac Kicks Cancer’ or something like that,” Gray said...Weiss, the kicker on Gray’s high school team, signed up to have people donate money to world-renowned St. Jude Children's Research Hospital for each extra point he kicked during the season. Gray immediately asked Weiss if he could do his own version.

...“We ended up raising around a little over $20,000 for St. Jude,” Gray said. “It was all just trying to give back, trying to do more, use my platform as a way to help and reach other people. With the talents that God has blessed me with, I’m trying to be able to use that to bless others. That kind of was my thinking with it all. It really meant a lot for me, because I knew my touchdowns meant more than just the points on the scoreboard. It really meant more to helping a life, helping someone out, someone in need who needed it.
Vols star Gray reflects on raising thousands for St. Jude in HS

More on this story:
Football Stars Turn Fundraising Champs for St. Jude

St. Jude

No better place to "lend a helping hand".
If you have ever been exposed to this "godly place" you understand, if not, try in every way to become so exposed.
The many things Memphis is known for good or the many less than that, St. Jude drives the scales way to the positive side.
I never cease to be amazed by the fact that "no one pays a penny" and that ALL their research is open to the world for free.

Now - If Gray and company never accomplish another thing during their football life, they will always be big winners. For somewhere they have made a difference for a child in need.

St. Jude

If you have ever been exposed to this "godly place" you understand, if not, try in every way to become so exposed.
The many things Memphis is known for good or the many less than that, St. Jude drives the scales way to the positive side.
I never cease to be amazed by the fact that "no one pays a penny" and that ALL their research is open to the world for free.

Now - If Gray and company never accomplish another thing during their football life, they will always be big winners. For somewhere they have made a difference for a child in need.
I did a rotation at St. Jude back in 1982. It literally had a profound impact on my life as it relates to childhood cancers and the importance of this institution. So much good has occurred in the ensuing 38 years since I was there. It has saved the lives of countless children.

St. Jude

I was a patient there for 10 years. There is no better place on earth. They stuck with me way after treatment and I was over 21. They treated all the after effects of my treatment, replaced my knees, etc. I could never pay them back in a hundred lifetimes.

The fact you are here is the kind of statement that personifies St. Jude. You are without doubt a lucky person. I have a cousin who many years ago had a beautiful daughter that was not so lucky. I try to give as much as I can to this great organization. On occasion my wife has me buy a lottery ticket (when one gets over 2-300 mil) if we ever win we plan to send at least 10% to St. Jude. In the mean time a little now and then. Stay well my friend and "blow the St. Jude horn loudly".

VN Store

Back