Has a Tennessee QB ever caused as many internal fan arguments as JG?

KnoxRealtorVOL

First of his name
This isn’t an “opinions on JG” thread, but I was just thinking back on all of the controversial, fan-dividing QB’s over the years. Have any one of them ever caused this much debating/arguing?

Crompton comes to mind. Casey Clausen maybe? Ainge? Inconsistency seems to be the key to sparking debates and JG is rolling in it.

Reactions: SmilezDavis
You state this isn’t an “opinion of JG” poll, but that is exactly what it is. You will get the same debate on both sides as has happened for the last two years. Doesn’t matter your intent with the thread, that is what it will become.

This isn’t an “opinions on JG” thread, but I was just thinking back on all of the controversial, fan-dividing QB’s over the years. Have any one of them ever caused this much debating/arguing?

Crompton comes to mind. Casey Clausen maybe? Ainge? Inconsistency seems to be the key to sparking debates and JG is rolling in it.
I can think of a couple of them that might have generated similar debate, back in the late Battle or early Majors years, except that we didnt have available the online forum sites that we do today. So we argued with co-workers, heard the coach's take on it, fumed, threw up our hands, and waited it out.

It was posted earlier that Crompton received criticism every day when he was QB.

I still recall being in the stadium and fans wanting Brandon Stewart in the game over Manning.

Our best chance to win the East this yr is with a successful JG @ QB.

Hear me out. I think JG has the tools to be a successful quarterback but his ego got in the way. Going into last season he felt he needed to make up for any deficiencies with the receiving corps and did to much. He threw late because he didn't trust them and threw into coverage because he felt "he" had to win the game not the team.
You saw it at Alabama with the audible/fumble but at the end of the year he played within the system and did what was asked and found success. I think this year he comes in and follows the system rather than try to be the savior and we are all pleasantly surprised.
Flame away

Yes, this ignorant kind of hatred of our own players has gone back as far in my memory as when I remember fans calling our QB "Alan Cock-reel". It's nothing new. Just the same old dark insecurities of fans who look for a scapegoat in an underperforming of expectations program. Were Tee Martin thrown into one of our teams the past 3 seasons, he would be total trash (instead of legend) by a too large number of fans.

It's just the pathetic nature of fallen mankind revealing itself like a buπhole showing contest. Just have to deal with it.

Heath Shuler = bum at one point in time. While rolling out, he threw high heat into the fifth row of seats

Last edited:
I cant remember a Tennessee QB that did not catch some sort of hate at some point in their career. JG just needs to work hard, take coaching well, and get better. From my "couch coach" perspective, I get frustrated with JGs inability to read a defense and connect on open crossing routes. He throws behind, over, and too far in front on this precision routes. He does seem to throw the long ball pretty well. He also doesn't manage pressure very well and his run-pass reads are suspect. I do give him an out that our OL has not been the same as say other QBs have had. Then there are the dropped balls and average running backs. I am all Vol, not questioning his motivation, he has shown improvement, and hope he "balls out" this fall so we can red-shirt Bailey and get to the SEC Championship game...maybe NCAA Football Championship.

VN Store

Back