Each of General Neyland's Game Day Maxims Defined by a Single Game

Boca Vol

Originally from Exit 81
Lab Rat
Something fun for the off-season... (and a strange one, at that). But I was talking to a friend about the Maxims and we got into a discussion about each of the 7 Gameday Maxims and tried to find a game that fit each one. Here are mine. I'm 47 and my memories go back to about 1980'ish. 1st game was Utah in '79. Please post your answers. It will be cool to see the different lists.

1. The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win.

My 1st thought was the 1995 Bama game. I don't recall if UT had a turnover but UT was in control from the 1st snap....literally!

2. Play for and make the breaks and when one comes your way – SCORE.

Gotta go with Darrin Miller in the 1987 Kickoff Classic vs. Iowa:

3. If at first the game – or the breaks – go against you, don't let up... put on more steam.

A lot of options but I'll go with the 2016 UF game. Close 2nd 2006 UGA. (1991 ND is probably the winner but I'm using that one below)

4. Protect our kickers, our QB, our lead and our ball game.

I'm going to take this one in a different direction and go with David Leaverton rocking Peter Warrick in the BCS Title Game. :

5. Ball, oskie, cover, block, cut and slice, pursue and gang tackle... for this is the WINNING EDGE.

For me it has to be the 1998 UF game. Close 2nd 1985 Auburn

6. Press the kicking game. Here is where the breaks are made.

This is tough one as there are so many options but I'm going to go with 1991 at Notre Dame. 2 blocked FG's!!!!

7. Carry the fight to our opponent and keep it there for 60 minutes.

Sugar Bowl win vs. Miami. Brutal! Just Brutal!

Last edited:
3. If at first the game – or the breaks – go against you, don't let up... put on more steam.

A lot of options but I'll go with the 2016 UF game. Close 2nd 2006 UGA. (1991 ND is probably the winner but I'm using that one below)

Think the 2005 LSU game is a good choice here..

For me this is 1998 TN-Arkansas, that Clint Stoerner fumble was key and then we literally ran the ball down their throats for the game winner.

Yeah, that's probably a better choice.

Reactions: VolBricks
Something fun for the off-season... (and a strange one, at that). But I was talking to a friend about the Maxims and we got into a discussion about each of the 7 Gameday Maxims and tried to find a game that fit each one. Here are mine. I'm 47 and my memories go back to about 1980'ish. 1st game was Utah in '79. Please post your answers. It will be cool to see the different lists.

1. The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win.

My 1st thought was the 1995 Bama game. I don't recall if UT had a turnover but UT was in control from the 1st snap....literally!

Gotta go with Darrin Miller in the 1987 Kickoff Classic vs. Iowa:

4. Protect our kickers, our QB, our lead and our ball game.

I'm going to take this one in a different direction and go with David Leaverton rocking Peter Warrick in the BCS Title Game. :

5. Ball, oskie, cover, block, cut and slice, pursue and gang tackle... for this is the WINNING EDGE.

For me it has to be the 1998 UF game. Close 2nd 1985 Auburn

This is tough one as there are so many options but I'm going to go with 1991 at Notre Dame. 2 blocked FG's!!!!

7. Carry the fight to our opponent and keep it there for 60 minutes.

Sugar Bowl win vs. Miami. Brutal! Just Brutal!

Man, I sure do miss hearing John Ward call games!

This thread is amazing to read. I obviously made my username based off the maxims when I joined Volnation. Big shout out to Boca Vol for this thread and Freak for making this site the best message board and online gathering for a HOST of Volunteers to talk sports and anything Tennessee related. The Maxims will hold true until the end of time. Win the Maxims and good things always happen. You never ever know which play in the course of 60 minutes of battle will result in being the difference in the game. Listening to the Vols recite the Maxims in the locker room is something that will give you goosebumps every single time. 'Its great to be a Tennessee Vol"

Great thread.. I've always thought that pop on Warrick by Leverton was about as awesome as it gets. If you follow the flow of that game, I know FSU didn't score a TD on the drive that ensued, (and they sure would have if Leverton hadn't hammered him), and I think they only came away with a field goal from that drive. So that tackle was worth 4 points. UT won by 7, so you can't really say that was a game winner, but it sure helped. The great thing was how touted Warrick was. Keith Jackson damn near wet his pants every time he mentioned his name. Lowly kicker David Leverton knocked him sideways!

One of my favorites from the early days of Youtube. The quality is awful, yet it is glorious.

Reactions: Boca Vol

VN Store

Back