A View from Big Ben

London Vol

Following on from last weeks preview of the OFFENSE this week I will list my predictions for the DEFENSE.

Before I list the starters etc I wish to make two observations of how the Defense has changed under this head coach a) Jeremy Pruitt used an extensive rotation system last season which worked really well, the main difference for me was a couple of years ago our Defense seemed to get "gassed" in the second half, probably due to lack of depth, but not anymore. b) When Pruitt was hired I watched closely the Alabama Defense in that seasons play-offs and it seemed that there was always a number of defenders swarming to the ball and also the tackling was sound, not something I witnessed in all the years I have supported the Vols. At first, I put this down to the system at Alabama and being surrounded with blue chip players, yet last season Alabama’s defense regressed and at times looked ordinary so I believe they miss Pruitt more than they realise and Pruitt is now stamping his mark on the Vols.

DEFENSIVE LINE

STARTERS: SOLOMON (One to Watch), EMERSON, MIDDLETON – Solomon was cleared to play only hours before the season which must have been awful, I also understand he was “banged up” for most of the season and still he was more than useful so I expect a big improvement this year. Emerson, in the first half of the season he showed lots of potential as a Nose Tackle and whilst his season somewhat tailed off, I put that down to being a Freshman and with Gooden coming back from an ACL I will pick Emerson and, he is still only a sophomore. Middleton was regarded behind Williams when they arrived yet he got better and better during the season and if he can control his offield activities then the third starting place should be his to lose.

BACK UPS: GOODEN, BUTLER, BUMPHUS, GARLAND, HARRIS, SIMMONS, MINCEY, BLAKELY AND WILLIAMS – Gooden as I mentioned above is coming back from an ACL so it has to questioned when and how fit he will be, but remember if he is fine on both counts he may replace Emerson. Butler, A rather “under the radar” player to me but having re-watched most of last seasons matches I was shocked how productive he was and is a very important piece of the jigsaw. Most of the others contributed last season and will do so again but what it demonstrates is what a 3 deep depth chart looks like. Pruitt has definitely built a wall (sorry about that!).

SOME NEW BOYS: DOMINIC BAILEY (One to Watch), OMARI THOMAS – Although Thomas is highly rated and is an upgrade on the players above, I think Bailey is going to be the one who surprises you. Firstly, he did not make a drama from his recruitment so it was easy not to have spent much time learning about him but secondly and more importantly if you study the Under-Amour tape from January you will see that he dominated the line regularly pushing the Offensive Lineman backwards. He has a great motor and is already SEC size, in short, he is Oven Ready.

LINEBACKERS

STARTERS: BENNETT, TO`O TO`O, CROUCH, JOSEPH (One to Watch) – To`o To`o is a lock at Inside Linebacker in fact he is probably a lock in finishing his career at Tennessee as a legend (enjoy watching him for the next two years) This season I think he will be even better as he will assume the leadership mantle and I understand he has also beefed up. I have given Crouch the second ILB place although I think he will come under terrific pressure from Eason. Crouch has lots of potential so he starts for now. Bennett improved no end last year and was often only a half-step away from a sack so I am hoping a little improvement will result in a breakout year. Joseph will probably surprise you over Baron but if you watch the tape this guy could be a sack monster maybe not a three down OLB but watch his speed both inside and outside the Lineman, its really impressive.

BACK UPS: BARON, PETERSEN, EASON (One to Watch), JOHNSON – Baron will be a multiyear starter but if Bennett has the breakout I hope, then he will have to wait his turn unless he bulks up and plays DL. Eason is somebody I rate very highly, he reminds me of a cross between Bituli and Quarterman from Miami. Petersen is probably in the last chance saloon and if French makes a bright start it maybe already be too late for Petersen but I’m not prepared to give up on him just yet. Johnson is steady but I think our aspirations are now higher than his ceiling, sorry.

SQUAD: HARRISON, PAGE, FRENCH, BEASLEY – gosh Butch Jones may have started this quartet not long ago so there is some potential and depth there as well.

CORNERBACKS: THOMPSON, TAYLOR – The T Twins should both be drafted in the next couple of years especially as with their coaches being Pruitt and Ansley they will not have finished improving. Whereas Thompson gets the shiny stats I think Taylor may just become the bigger shut-down corner of the two and that will make him the higher drafted.

SAFTIES: McCOLLOUGH, LAWRENCE – McCollough grew week by week and was a big reason why the defense was so solid the longer the season went on, so I think he is a lock. Lawrence is just too good not to start and as the corners are set this is the only possible vacancy, a potential superstar in the backfield.

STAR: SHAMBURGER – Shamburger is so underrated, he can track the tight end, he can tackle the running back if required and can blitz off the corner. In today’s pass friendly world his position is far more important than in the past.

BACK UPS: FLOWERS, JACKSON BUCHANAN, MCDONALD, SLAUGHTER – The first three are solid players but as with Johnson the bar is now higher. McDonald and Slaughter have both potential but barring injuries, Redshirts are the most likely outcomes this season

As always this is just my views and please feel free to discuss/agree/disagree with me

GO VOLS

Good post London! I think Flowers starts the season as the starter if he heals up and I think Roman Harrison (I’m big on him) will start opposite Bennett. But all solid choices and good analysis

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I am just glad to actually see a 3-deep. There have been years that a 1-deep was not to exciting. I think year 3 under Pruitt the defense shines. I really do not care who starts as I think we see a lot of players getting snaps.

Reactions: savannahfan
Thanks London,, always enjoy your takes!!

Remember to not use the king’s english,, it’s not a match on the pitch but a game on the gridiron 😎

And I hope we enjoy watching Henry T for 3 more years!!

Go VOLS!!!!!

That was as enjoyable as a practice report. Have a pint on me, mate.

Will do

London, once again you"mind the Gap" with your research & expertise! We've just GOT to get:cool: you to Neyland Stadium for a Tennessee Volunteers game.

Thanks to Covid-19 it will have to be 2021 now.,its even hard to leave the house in England at present. To watch the T opening up, sing Rocky Top until the voice goes and enjoy the Vols beat Georgia, definitely its on the bucket list.

Someone refresh my recollection, what off field activities of Middleton is OP referring to in the DL portion of assessment?

VN Store

Back