Pruitt Defensive Clinic

GTBATV

I have been away for a few weeks, so this may have been posted already. If so, I apologize.

If not, it's Pruitt walking through some basic offensive and defensive schemes.

EDIT: Just an FYI, this is from Jan 2019 at the Nike COY clinic

Last edited:
I'm sorry, 22:47 is he saying "put his dick in his hip?" Is this common football terminology? Never heard that. Cant wait to start screaming "PUT YOUR DICK IN HIS HIP" when someone gets beat.
That's what I heard him say. That's what is so likeable about Pruitt, he says what ever thought pops in his head and wastes zero time "word crafting" and trying say something he thinks you'll like or can be used on some philosophical meme. His only
philosophical meme is "put your dick in his hip"

I'm sorry, 22:47 is he saying "put his dick in his hip?" Is this common football terminology? Never heard that. Cant wait to start screaming "PUT YOUR DICK IN HIS HIP" when someone gets beat.
Yes. That's exactly what he said. lol Oh, Lordy, that won't go well.

2020. The year of Social Distancing and getting so close you put your ... well y'all get it. Tough year.

Reactions: njvols

... and now the "Third Down for What" from a foul mouthed rapper starts to look downright pedestrian round here. :eek:

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
I wonder if anyone has ever asked Pruitt what he thinks of the defensive strategies of Robert Neyland who once took his UT team through an entire regular season unscored upon and is considered by football pundits as the greatest defensive coach of the 20th Century.

And I here I thought this thread was gonna be the answer to the question: "What is the 2020 football Volunteers going to be called?"

Little did I know we were going to be high jacked by hips...HAHAHA

Pretty impressive. Pruitt clearly knows his stuff and you can tell he is a teacher at heart. Easy to see why recruits who want to be challenged would play for him. Think Pruitt still bleeds Bama.

Reactions: bpalmer28

It's just another way to say "keep his inside hip at your center mass" so you won't lose your jockstrap if he cuts hard in any direction...

Our coaches used to tell us to keep out belly-buttons on his inside hip if he was running towards to sideline...outside hip if he is running towards the middle of the field

I wonder if anyone has ever asked Pruitt what he thinks of the defensive strategies of Robert Neyland who once took his UT team through an entire regular season unscored upon and is considered by football pundits as the greatest defensive coach of the 20th Century.
He probably wouldn't think much of them and thats not a knock on Neyland its apples and oranges. Totally different game. That's like asking a Tesla Engineer what they think of 2 stroke engines. You can only compare those coaches and players to others from their eras because the game itself was entirely different. You're talking about a time when Juan Jennins is big enough to have played OL or DT. A WR running a 4.8 was a top-end burner and their helmets were leather. The ball wasn't even the same shape.

So we’re all in agreement, that this should officially replace “3rd down for what?”
GBO!!

Reactions: livefaith
He probably wouldn't think much of them and thats not a knock on Neyland its apples and oranges. Totally different game. That's like asking a Tesla Engineer what they think of 2 stroke engines. You can only compare those coaches and players to others from their eras because the game itself was entirely different. You're talking about a time when Juan Jennins is big enough to have played OL or DT. A WR running a 4.8 was a top-end burner and their helmets were leather. The ball wasn't even the same shape.

I disagree. Obviously I have no idea what Pruitt thinks of the General's defensive strategies but I suspect CJP has enormous respect for what Neyland did in his day. Now if you are asking if he would be thinking they still work today, then sure. But I cant imagine that a D coach like Pruitt would not be in awe of Neyland's accomplishments. Like Elon Musk and Nicolai Tesla.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
I disagree. Obviously I have no idea what Pruitt thinks of the General's defensive strategies but I suspect CJP has enormous respect for what Neyland did in his day. Now if you are asking if he would be thinking they still work today, then sure. But I can't imagine that a D coach like Pruitt would not be in awe of Neyland's accomplishments. Like Elon Musk and Nicolai Tesla.
The question was not his accomplishments but his defensive strategies. His accomplishments stand alone and can't be argued. His strategies in context were also obviously great, for the time but looking at them through the eyes of a modern coach would be the equivalent of peewee ball. The game was just that different. The forward pass was still right up there with Sasquatch and Nessie most of his career. To put it in perspective ( I was only able to find team stats for the end of his career (1945-52) they averaged under 100 passing yards a game. but most of his career was pre-WWII and they rarely ever threw the ball then.

I am just saying the strategies and schemes would not age well at all. Then again if you are talking about his mindset and his maxims those have stood the test of time. Its all just our opinions I have no idea what CJP really thinks so I can only guess and infer based on what I think. You could very well be right and me totally wrong that the fun of forums. I can respect your opinion even if I don't particularly agree.

Reactions: 08Vol
The question was not his accomplishments but his defensive strategies. His accomplishments stand alone and can't be argued. His strategies in context were also obviously great, for the time but looking at them through the eyes of a modern coach would be the equivalent of peewee ball. The game was just that different.
I am just saying the strategies and schemes would not age well at all. Then again if you are talking about his mindset and his maxims those have stood the test of time.

In complete agreement

I agree but the fundamentals are the same. Tackling, blocking, no fumbling, proper positions, all the basics, they never change.

I agree but the fundamentals are the same. Tackling, blocking, no fumbling, proper positions, all the basics, they never change.
kinda sorta the base concepts don't change but the techniques used to execute them are totally different. Athletes and rules are totally different these days. Things you could do back then would get you arrested these days.

Watching our DB's looking lost on film reminds me of the ineptitude of the previous staff.

[...] Our coaches used to tell us to keep our belly-buttons on his inside hip if he was running towards to sideline...outside hip if he is running towards the middle of the field

From a communications viewpoint, it makes sense that the kind of young man you want playing CB is an alpha-dog who is much more aware of where his penis is than where he used to be attached to his mother.

[I guess you can insert your own "pee wee football" joke here]

Reactions: MikeVol44
That's what I heard him say. That's what is so likeable about Pruitt, he says what ever thought pops in his head and wastes zero time "word crafting" and trying say something he thinks you'll like or can be used on some philosophical meme. His only
philosophical meme is "put your dick in his hip"
I heard that to lol

VN Store

Back