Need help identifying which Majors’ brother I played golf with.....

Evergrenevol

Lux et Veritas
Johnny Majors used to hold an annual golf tournament at Lake Tansi In Crossville every year for friends, ex-players, donors, etc. The format was a scramble. I was 29 at the time. Circa 1988 or 1989, one of Johnny’s brothers was on our scramble team. I do remember that he was quiet, polite and was a good guy. I’m still trying to figure out which brother he was. We ended up shooting 15 under and won the tournament that year.

I know it wasn’t Bill or Bobby, so by default it had to be Joe or Larry. Does anyone know which one it may be? I would be much obliged if someone knows. Thanks

Last edited:
Probably Larry, Bobby could talk

It has been a long time, so my memory is fuzzy.

Seems that Larry was quiet, for many years wore a bow tie, and was a banker. He was always a small guy.

Joe was an attorney who was in Tullahoma for awhile. He was a bigger guy than Johnny or Larry.

In photo, is that Joe standing behind Johnny?
MajorsFamily1-e1592229388940.jpg

It has been a long time, so my memory is fuzzy.

Seems that Larry was quiet, for many years wore a bow tie, and was a banker. He was always a small guy.

Joe was an attorney who was in Tullahoma for awhile. He was a bigger guy than Johnny or Larry.

In photo, is that Joe standing behind Johnny?

———————————————————————————————————————————
I think that’s him! Thank you!

View attachment 290590

If he was 6’ 1”, athletic looking, no glasses, that sounds more like Joe than Larry.

Maybe someone can find a photo from the 1980’s

Reactions: Evergrenevol
Larry Majors was also a successful HC at CCHS in Crossville. Stayed a few years before returning to Florida, I think. Today that football program is a disaster.

Johnny Majors used to hold an annual golf tournament at Lake Tansi In Crossville every year for friends, ex-players, donors, etc. The format was a scramble. I was 29 at the time. Circa 1988 or 1989, one of Johnny’s brothers was on our scramble team. I do remember that he was quiet, polite and was a good guy. I’m still trying to figure out which brother he was. We ended up shooting 15 under and won the tournament that year.

I know it wasn’t Bill or Bobby, so by default it had to be Joe or Larry. Does anyone know which one it may be? I would be much obliged if someone knows. Thanks
Does he owe you money? Asking for a friend.

Larry Majors was also a successful HC at CCHS in Crossville. Stayed a few years before returning to Florida, I think. Today that football program is a disaster.

Larry was never a high school head coach. He taught history for years at South Junior High in Cowan, Tennessee. He later taught for a few years at Franklin County High School in Winchester. Larry was smaller in stature than his brothers. Wore a bow tie often, and a great guy............

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
May be wrong, but I think that is Larry on the front left.

View attachment 290576

Yes, that's Larry front left with the green slacks, orange shirt, and tan shoes. I don't recognize too many others in the photo, but I'm pretty sure that's Bill Rudder in the middle of the picture in a gray shirt right under Johnny's left shoulder.

Larry was never a high school head coach. He taught history for years at South Junior High in Cowan, Tennessee. He later taught for a few years at Franklin County High School in Winchester. Larry was smaller in stature than his brothers. Wore a bow tie often, and a great guy............
Actually he did coach in Crossville; not for long, but he had winning teams. Larry Majors « Tennessee Sports Hall of Fame

Actually he did coach in Crossville; not for long, but he had winning teams. Larry Majors « Tennessee Sports Hall of Fame

Well I be dang. Didn't know that. Was he the head coach? If so, wonder why he changed his course. In 1965 when he was at Crossville, I was 5 years old. Met Larry for the first time when he was South's head football coach and I was a field judge in a crew of 4, about 1979. Actually worked across the hall with Larry for 7-8 years during the 90's.

Well I be dang. Didn't know that. Was he the head coach? If so, wonder why he changed his course. In 1965 when he was at Crossville, I was 5 years old. Met Larry for the first time when he was South's head football coach and I was a field judge in a crew of 4, about 1979. Actually worked across the hall with Larry for 7-8 years during the 90's.
He coached in Crossville for only two seasons: 1969 & 70. I got to see a few games before going to Army Basic Training. LM was an excellent HC, but for whatever reasons he wanted to be a classroom teacher. An old friend was the Superintendent who hired Larry Majors, saying it was one of his proud moments.

why is 5'9" considered short?

asking for a friend

i'm not 5'9"

like i said, i'm asking for a friend

He coached in Crossville for only two seasons: 1969 & 70. I got to see a few games before going to Army Basic Training. LM was an excellent HC, but for whatever reasons he wanted to be a classroom teacher. An old friend was the Superintendent who hired Larry Majors, saying it was one of his proud moments.

Hired him at Crossville or into the Franklin County school system?

why is 5'9" considered short?

asking for a friend

i'm not 5'9"

like i said, i'm asking for a friend

I think 5'9" is average height of American male.

However, when you look at the ones who play or played football, 5'9" is considered short. Larry's brothers were all taller.

As you can see in the above golf photo, Larry is the shortest guy in the picture.

VN Store

Back