Watch: Johnny Majors - Straight Ahead

Absolute must see if you are a Vol fan. A couple of take aways-

1. Hearing John Ward's calls brought back great memories from the best play by play announcer in college football. John Anderson was nice to hear also. I'm biased of course.
2. Coach Majors definitely deserves enshrinement in the College Football Coaches HOF. The only reason he isn't is that his overall winning percentage is below the .600 threshold. In some cases, there needs to be an exception. He was the National Coach of the Year twice, won a NC, brought a program (Iowa State) to regional prominence and 2 other programs to national prominence. Pitt for the first time and Tennessee back to that level. Again, I'm biased.
3. A VFL in the VFL HOF.

Thanks for sharing this documentary on YouTube, Freak. I posted a comment there. Majors was the first VOLS coach I remember from my youth in the early 80s. The (very) few good memories I have of my dad are the many times we drove up to Knoxville on football Saturdays from 1981-86 and watching the Johnny Majors show on Sundays, win or lose. My dad was a complete jerk of a human being, but he got me started on my love of the University of Tennessee!

I literally choked up during the final 5 minutes of the documentary. What an emotional ending! Thank you again, Freak!

Last edited:
Without CJM the 90's we all loved being a part of would not have happened. His return to Big Orange Country was storybook quality. The rebuild was a tougher climb that desired, but the fact the talent level had dropped off and rival programs being @ their best contributed. Kinda sounds familiar doesn't it?

Majors' first couple of years at Iowa State probably didn't make him look like a hot enough commodity at the time, but I've always thought that if Tennessee hires Majors instead of Bill Battle in 1970 after Doug Dickey left, we would've been a machine in the 70s and 80s.

This was a really well done piece, greatly enjoyed it! I was younger when Fulmer became Head Coach and if memory serves me correctly it seemed as though Johnny was pushed out to make room for Fulmer...if that's the case it wasn't necessarily addressed in that manner.

Reactions: Evergrenevol
Thank you, Freak. What a film, what a man, what a Tennessean!

One thing I confirmed through the game footage of the Wide Receiver U days was the white shoes the team wore. We were so blazing fast and those white shoes made us look even faster. Those were some true glory days, thanks to Coach Majors and the players he coached.

Our motto this year should be “Straight ahead...attack, attack, attack!”

This was a really well done piece, greatly enjoyed it! I was younger when Fulmer became Head Coach and if memory serves me correctly it seemed as though Johnny was pushed out to make room for Fulmer...if that's the case it wasn't necessarily addressed in that manner.
The Vols were 38-9-2 over the four-year span just before Majors left the job after the 1992 season as the second-winningest coach in Tennessee history with 116 victories.
Patrick Brown.

Last edited:
He came here in our time of need after reaching the peak of college football, a national championship. I knew they were after him but I thought it was ridiculous to ask him after what he had accomplished at Pitt. He gave up everything to come back and coach the Vols, I have always been embarrassed about the way UT parted company with him.

Thanks so much for posting this. I forgot to record it Friday night. A great show done with class.

Reactions: StarRaider

VN Store

Back