The 2019 class impact

1vol8

With the pandemic and the threat of no football I’m realizing football is a drug. I’m having withdrawals and don’t mind saying I’m not trying to quit.

That being said I thought it would be an interesting topic to look back on the impact of the 2019 class.

In 2018 I think it’s safe to say there were problems at nearly every position. The o line wasn’t good. The qbs playing style didn’t mix well with the o lines abilities. The RBs couldn’t find a hole in a wiffle ball (partially on the o line). The WRs were not fast and the TEs couldn’t block.

On defense there was no pass rush. Much like the o line they got pushed around wherever the opposing player wanted them to go. Hard to blame any DB for not being able to cover a speedy WR for the 4 seconds + it took for our d line to create pressure.

Enter the 2019 class.

D. Wright- immediate impact player along the o line and likely 1-2 round o lineman. I can’t remember a time last year that he was singled out by fans or media because his defender made a play. Correct me if I’m wrong.

H. To’o To’o- He was already good but got better as the weeks rolled by. No question that he was an upgrade and last year was only scraping the surface with him.

Q.Crouch- I know he’s a LB but in short yardage he was money. If he can become the same level LB that he is a RB, watch out SEC. The combo of Crouch and To’oto’o could be the most feared in all of college football.

E. Gray- I said early on he reminded me of Barry Sanders somewhat because of how quickly his feet react to what his eyes see and his ability to stop on a dime and change direction. There will never be another Barry but Gray has some of those qualities.

B. Maurer- Qbs seem to bring the most backlash between fans and I think that’s because most of us have a particular style we favor the most, whatever it may be. No matter what playing style you like it’s undeniable that the team energy was noticeably different behind each qb. When Maurer entered the game his energy fueled the team. There are those that will make mountains out of mole hills and put too much stock into stats (imo) for a kid that was thrown to the wolves (Toughest stretch of the season) wearing peanut butter underwear (very limited prep time). How good could he be with sufficient time? Who knows. But better than what we seen last year seems logical.

W. Morris- I seen him get beat like drum early in the season. I seen him dominate late. Once he came into his zone the combination of himself, Wright and Trey Smith became a weapon. Don’t get me wrong, Trey is still our best o lineman but tackles have my respect because their position requires them to play in space AND in the trenches. There’s a “nastiness” to this group that wasn’t there before and it’s hard to say who leads the charge. We all know how Trey is. I watched Wanya ride a bulldog all the way to the benches in person like Micael Oher did in “The Blind Side”. Of course he got a personal foul call and it killed our drive but it was humorous. I watched D.Wright at “The Opening” 2018 and he was pancaking guys like he owned IHOP.

That about wraps up the guys that played significant roles last year as freshman. I know the 2020 class is bringing a lot of hype but I don’t see a single guy above that’s going to be an “easy” beat out for anyone.

Last edited:
If we end up with no football in 2019, it will at some point in the future be seen as collateral damage from the "cancel culture" that is running rampant now. Sickening. Don't buy what the media is spreading......what is being done at this point in history by mainstream media is journalistic malpractice. I am disgusted with the entire scene.

If we end up with no football in 2019, it will at some point in the future be seen as collateral damage from the "cancel culture" that is running rampant now. Sickening. Don't buy what the media is spreading......what is being done at this point in history by mainstream media is journalistic malpractice. I am disgusted with the entire scene.
Lol. I don’t buy a single word from any journalist tbh. They are all shady. From sports to news it’s all about “a story” rather than the entire truth. There’s a reason journalist are frowned on even in movie characters. Because the story starts as true but after they put their spin on it to spice it up it becomes only a “version” of. However, I’m confused how your response is tied to the subject matter. (No disrespect, seriously)

Reactions: Squoshua17
No mention of tank?
I thought hard about it but I Was trying to focus on players in the 2019 class that played a significant role within the season in an effort to not make it too long and what I remember most was his spring game.

With the pandemic and the threat of no football I’m realizing football is a drug. I’m having withdrawals and don’t mind saying I’m not trying to quit.

That being said I thought it would be an interesting topic to look back on the impact of the 2019 class.

In 2018 I think it’s safe to say there were problems at nearly every position. The o line wasn’t good. The qbs playing style didn’t mix well with the o lines abilities. The RBs couldn’t find a hole in a wiffle ball (partially on the o line). The WRs were not fast and the TEs couldn’t block.

On defense there was no pass rush. Much like the o line they got pushed around wherever the opposing player wanted them to go. Hard to blame any DB for not being able to cover a speedy WR for the 4 seconds + it took for our d line to create pressure.

Enter the 2019 class.

D. Wright- immediate impact player along the o line and likely 1-2 round o lineman. I can’t remember a time last year that he was singled out by fans or media because his defender made a play. Correct me if I’m wrong.

H. To’o To’o- He was already good but got better as the weeks rolled by. No question that he was an upgrade and last year was only scraping the surface with him.

Q.Crouch- I know he’s a LB but in short yardage he was money. If he can become the same level LB that he is a RB, watch out SEC. The combo of Crouch and To’oto’o could be the most feared in all of college football.

E. Gray- I said early on he reminded me of Barry Sanders somewhat because of how quickly his feet react to what his eyes see and his ability to stop on a dime and change direction. There will never be another Barry but Gray has some of those qualities.

B. Maurer- Qbs seem to bring the most backlash between fans and I think that’s because most of us have a particular style we favor the most, whatever it may be. No matter what playing style you like it’s undeniable that the team energy was noticeably different behind each qb. When Maurer entered the game his energy fueled the team. There are those that will make mountains out of mole hills and put too much stock into stats (imo) for a kid that was thrown to the wolves (Toughest stretch of the season) wearing peanut butter underwear (very limited prep time). How good could he be with sufficient time? Who knows. But better than what we seen last year seems logical.

W. Morris- I seen him get beat like drum early in the season. I seen him dominate late. Once he came into his zone the combination of himself, Wright and Tre Smith became a weapon. Don’t get me wrong, Tre is still our best o lineman but tackles have my respect because their position requires them to play in space AND in the trenches. There’s a “nastiness” to this group that wasn’t there before and it’s hard to say who leads the charge. We all know how Tre is. I watched Wanya ride a bulldog all the way to the benches in person like Micael Oher did in “The Blind Side”. Of course he got a personal foul call and it killed our drive but it was humorous. I watched D.Wright at “The Opening” 2018 and he was pancaking guys like he owned IHOP.

That about wraps up the guys that played significant roles last year as freshman. I know the 2020 class is bringing a lot of hype but I don’t see a single guy above that’s going to be an “easy” beat out for anyone.
Here is the thing that doesn't get mentioned often enough IMO on Wright. He played last year basically without college S&C. Morris was a EE so he benefitted from some.. So both will have at least a year of S&C going into this season. I'm not even factoring in the learning the part. One could say last season was the worst you'll seen from these two on the field, and they played very well. This amazes me. Very good things to look forward to with these two.

Reactions: BigDave and 1vol8

Enter the 2019 class.

W. Morris- I seen him get beat like drum early in the season. I seen him dominate late. Once he came into his zone the combination of himself, Wright and Tre Smith became a weapon. Don’t get me wrong, Tre is still our best o lineman but tackles have my respect because their position requires them to play in space AND in the trenches. There’s a “nastiness” to this group that wasn’t there before and it’s hard to say who leads the charge. We all know how Tre is. I watched Wanya ride a bulldog all the way to the benches in person like Micael Oher did in “The Blind Side”. Of course he got a personal foul call and it killed our drive but it was humorous. I watched D.Wright at “The Opening” 2018 and he was pancaking guys like he owned IHOP.

Trey

Reactions: 1vol8
It cannot be said enough! Wanya, Trey, Brandon, Cade, Darnell. DAMN! That's 4 top 5 players in their classes and a 6th yr 4 star at center!

Reactions: De La Cloobs
Here is the thing that doesn't get mentioned often enough IMO on Wright. He played last year basically without college S&C. Morris was a EE so he benefitted from some.. So both will have at least a year of S&C going into this season. I'm not even factoring in the learning the part. One could say last season was the worst you'll seen from these two on the field, and they played very well. This amazes me. Very good things to look forward to with these two.
When I was watching him at “The Opening” 2018 one thing that stuck out was his size. He’s just massive. He’s 6’6 to begin with and, at least at that time, was over 300 lbs. There’s gotta be some kind of natural strength advantage when you’re that size so the S&C part doesn’t surprise me. What does surprise me was 1) how fluent he moved at that size. Very fast hands and feet. Technique was on point. And 2) He was uncommitted at that time and we had already landed Wanya. So Wright to Tennessee didn’t seem likely. His coming to UT enabled us to see how fast he learned and that is the most impressive thing of all to me. So yes, I agree. It doesn’t get mentioned enough.

Reactions: FïreBall
When I was watching him at “The Opening” 2018 one thing that stuck out was his size. He’s just massive. He’s 6’6 to begin with and, at least at that time, was over 300 lbs. There’s gotta be some kind of natural strength advantage when you’re that size so the S&C part doesn’t surprise me. What does surprise me was 1) how fluent he moved at that size. Very fast hands and feet. Technique was on point. And 2) He was uncommitted at that time and we had already landed Wanya. So Wright to Tennessee didn’t seem likely. His coming to UT enabled us to see how fast he learned and that is the most impressive thing of all to me. So yes, I agree. It doesn’t get mentioned enough.
..and now think about year two for them both after a great year one they had. I can't wait.

Lol. I don’t buy a single word from any journalist tbh. They are all shady. From sports to news it’s all about “a story” rather than the entire truth. There’s a reason journalist are frowned on even in movie characters. Because the story starts as true but after they put their spin on it to spice it up it becomes only a “version” of. However, I’m confused how your response is tied to the subject matter. (No disrespect, seriously)
Its tied to the subject because all the mainstream media has an agenda.....and it has absolutely NOTHING to do with human safety and wellbeing. The agenda clearly is to take down this economy and administration. Any means of chaos or disruption is viewed by the media as a chance to change election results. And believe me, the world takes big cues from our media... I know, I was living in Thailand the last part of 2019 and almost half of 2020. And throw in the World Health Org (one of the most corrupt international entities anywhere) and you have almost all mouthpieces echoing the same story. Notice no one in main media is discussing death rate now. That rate continues to drop if you look at the weekly breakdowns. Of course we are going to see more "cases" because testing is ramped up AND anyone who reports to the hospital is being admitted and labelled as Covid. Im in healthcare and I see this first hand. Plus even the death rate is fudged heavily to slant that toward Covid in all possible cases. So its one huge manipulation. I would put this broadsweeping scam on par with how the media treats hurricanes.......every hurricane is going to destroy state A or B and or C. Its why folks don't leave hurricane threatened areas in bigger numbers.....no credibility from Media. Im just saying that I suspect when all is said and done, this Covid will be just slightly north of the lethality of most annual flu. Go ahead and hate if you wish. But the numbers I believe will prove this true.

Its tied to the subject because all the mainstream media has an agenda.....and it has absolutely NOTHING to do with human safety and wellbeing. The agenda clearly is to take down this economy and administration. Any means of chaos or disruption is viewed by the media as a chance to change election results. And believe me, the world takes big cues from our media... I know, I was living in Thailand the last part of 2019 and almost half of 2020. And throw in the World Health Org (one of the most corrupt international entities anywhere) and you have almost all mouthpieces echoing the same story. Notice no one in main media is discussing death rate now. That rate continues to drop if you look at the weekly breakdowns. Of course we are going to see more "cases" because testing is ramped up AND anyone who reports to the hospital is being admitted and labelled as Covid. Im in healthcare and I see this first hand. Plus even the death rate is fudged heavily to slant that toward Covid in all possible cases. So its one huge manipulation. I would put this broadsweeping scam on par with how the media treats hurricanes.......every hurricane is going to destroy state A or B and or C. Its why folks don't leave hurricane threatened areas in bigger numbers.....no credibility from Media. Im just saying that I suspect when all is said and done, this Covid will be just slightly north of the lethality of most annual flu. Go ahead and hate if you wish. But the numbers I believe will prove this true.
Trust me..... I’m not hating. I’m agreeing. The media is corrupt. No one knows the extent of the TRUE Covid because the journalists are too busy taking truth and spinning it into a more TV worthy lie. That’s what they do. That’s how they make their money. And we continue to take the bait knowing that’s how they’ve always been but we think MAYBE this time they are telling the truth. Hospitals are in on it themselves. Every sniffle, cough or headache is getting the Corona label because the hospitals are making millions (I’ve heard 30k + for every case). Corona ends when the media decides its a worn out story and the hospitals are done collecting. That means it’s going to be around for a long while and we may as well learn to live with it. Let these boys play!

An incoming freshman can have a solid S&C program on his own, with H.S. Coaches
or under private personal trainers without being under the tutelage of a university program. I’m almost certain Morris was training hard before he stepped on the UT campus.

VN Store

Back