Conference Games Only?

UTK

While this is a bummer, it seems invietbale at this point the SEC will have no choice but to do this. I believe the SEC and Big 12 are the only 2 conferences that haven't decided this yet. I'm wondering how the schedule will lay out if that's the case? Will we just play the 8 conference games that are already scheduled? Do each team get an additional 2 to make a solid 10 game season? How would that be balanced and how would it be decided who gets who added to their schedule? A 13 game schedule where everybody plays everyone else seems highly unlikely since they're already eliminating games to begin with. Obviously no one knows, but just curious to see the speculation on this if it is indeed what happens.

Last edited:
While this a bummer, it seems invietbale at this point the SEC will have no choice but to do this. I believe the SEC and Big 12 are the only 2 conferences that haven't decided this yet. I'm wondering how the schedule will lay out if that's the case? Will we just play the 8 conference games that are already scheduled? Do each team get an additional 2 to make a solid 10 game season? How would that be balanced and how would it be decided who gets who added to their schedule? A 13 game schedule where everybody plays everyone else seems highly unlikely since they're already eliminating games to begin with. Obviously no one knows, but just curious to see the speculation on this if it is indeed what happens.
I feel like if they are going to shorten the season at all they should just cancel it all together. It seriously causes physical pain to say that but how do you determine a playoff if only half the teams played? Do you put an asterisk by whoever wins the NC game this year? Do they really deserve bragging rights?

I say allow the entire schedule to play out with only a mandatory 50% capacity throughout all of college football. Allow home teams to filter in crowd noise and call it a day. Let the chips fall where they may.

I say that knowing that the numbers are tampered with so the truth is no one knows how serious this thing really is. What we DO know is it’s only effecting athletes about as bad as a common head cold.

I feel like if they are going to shorten the season at all they should just cancel it all together. It seriously causes physical pain to say that but how do you determine a playoff if only half the teams played? Do you put an asterisk by whoever wins the NC game this year? Do they really deserve bragging rights?

I somewhat agree that there would be an asterisk in the record books, but the SEC carries the playoffs anyway. I’d be fine with top 4 in the SEC having an exclusive playoff for all the marbles. The rest of the conferences won’t admit it, but the crowned champion will be the same whether they play or not. To hell with ‘em.

Reactions: chrismc1000
What is the benefit of playing only conference games? It's safer for SCAR to travel to Baton Rouge to play LSU than to play an out of conference game at Clemson? UGA goes to Missouri but can't host GA Tech? UF can go to Ole Miss but not FSU?

Canceling games more than a set distance might make sense but canceling all out of conference games has no rational basis.

I somewhat agree that there would be an asterisk in the record books, but the SEC carries the playoffs anyway. I’d be fine with top 4 in the SEC having an exclusive playoff for all the marbles. The rest of the conferences won’t admit it, but the crowned champion will be the same whether they play or not. To hell with ‘em.
I understand that way of thinking too. However let’s hypothetically speak that it was us that won the NC. As valid as your point is, we would find ourselves defending the authenticity of it. Truth is that goes for anyone other than the repetitive winners such as Clemson or Bama. If UGA won it it would be even worse because they’re known for choking vs good teams. Point is no matter who won it in a shortened season, unless you’re Clemson or Bama, it’s an *.

Reactions: 08Vol
13 game SEC schedule. Top team plays the top team of another Power 5. Let's all break off from the NCAA and make a power 5 league with the 5 conferences sending 1 team each to the playoffs, and a team voted on by all coaches to make it 6 teams

Given the lack of a unified policy to defeat COVID-19, this is a true statement.
This isn’t a policy issue. We shut down the damn country, destroying the economy, and it still wasn’t enough. The virus is going to do its thing and sports are just another casualty.

Quit making it a political issue. It isn’t one.

All I know is this...Without delving deeper than surface level into my medical history, I had an organ transplant in 1993 at the age of 16, and since that time I've taken anti-rejection medication for it...I take what's called Imuran EVERY single day, and I will for the remainder of my life, god willing a very many years...I'm very much "immunocompromised"...I also have two boys ages 14 and 10 who I want to see grow up.

It's honestly not political to me, I could give a fat rat's ass about all of that, I just want people to understand that not all of us are the picture of health, regardless of circumstance or even outward appearances, and we're scared for good reason.

Some of you need to have a little more compassion I think...Sorry, didn't wanna ruffle feathers, but I felt I needed to say something.

This isn’t a policy issue. We shut down the damn country, destroying the economy, and it still wasn’t enough. The virus is going to do its thing and sports are just another casualty.

Quit making it a political issue. It isn’t one.
th

With the case numbers skyrocketing but the death rate is lowering it's either one of two things. The virus is losing it's strength or the numbers are being padded....hmmm.

Yes, those are the only two options. It couldn’t possibly be that it takes weeks or months to die from this virus. The virus has been spreading like wild fire in AZ, TX, FL, and CA For weeks and over the past 4 days they have all had their highest daily death toll from this virus.

A Broadway actor just died from this virus, he was in the hospital for 95 days before dying.

Businesses didnt choose to shut down.

The population was ordered to stay at home, which is unconstitutional and illegal...and 15 days to flatten the curve was 120 plus days ago. .

Where you been, under a rock?

I do not know of a SINGLE business that shut down of it's own free will. That's fiction.

Which part of the stay home order was unconstitutional? People love to make that claim but no one seems to be able to provide any legit details. Every half thought out reason the lockdown violates it has already been ruled on by the Supreme Court.

All the college conferences shut down their tournaments, the NBA, NHL, MLS, and MLB all shut down their seasons. None of those were ordered by the government to shut down. So now you know some businesses that shut down of their own free will.

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly
There isn’t going to be football. As painful as it is for me to say it, they aren’t going to do it with the numbers skyrocketing.

Too much money at stake, money rules this country. At the very worst, it'll be Spring football. One way or another a season will happen. It may not be in 2020 though.

Reactions: CA_Vol
Too much money at stake, money rules this country. At the very worst, it'll be Spring football. One way or another a season will happen. It may not be in 2020 though.
This very well might be the solution.

Reactions: tbh

VN Store

Back