What will our TE position look like?

Anybody else worried about this position. I swear QB and TE worry me the most.
Actually I think losing Pope will actually help us by raising the level of competition. Losing him will be a huge loss because I don't think we have anyone that can replace his inline blocking directly but most of the other guys are a lot more athletic and better pass catchers. Before this, he was penciled in as the starter, no question. Now it's wide open. I have faith in our coaching staff as developers of talent. I think this helps us long term though it hurts short term. We have been aggressively recruiting at the position since Pruitt got here and seem to be going more after pass catchers than Pope types. This just forces that to go into effect a year early.

Reactions: savannahfan
What will our TE position look like?

GO BIG ORANGE!

a3735378fd17a844789212f17fa197cb--sophie-turner-casual-clothes.jpg

Actually I think losing Pope will actually help us by raising the level of competition. Losing him will be a huge loss because I don't think we have anyone that can replace his inline blocking directly but most of the other guys are a lot more athletic and better pass catchers. Before this, he was penciled in as the starter, no question. Now it's wide open. I have faith in our coaching staff as developers of talent. I think this helps us long term though it hurts short term. We have been aggressively recruiting at the position since Pruitt got here and seem to be going more after pass catchers than Pope types. This just forces that to go into effect a year early.
Pope was awful. My wife and I had a running bike that every time he was on the field something bad happened. Well, it wasn’t a joke.

Reactions: 08Vol
Pope was a loss from a blocking perspective. He was the blocking back in "21" personnel. Old timers can think of him as our starting FB. He didnt have good hands, which is why you didnt see him split out or even on the LOS (like DWA) too much for that matter. His toughness will be missed, and I imagine Fant would be the first option to fill that role.

With that said, even though their sizes are similar, I dont think Fant is capable of doing the things Pope did. I think the loss of Pope will result in less 2 back sets.

In other words, I really didnt see Pope as a TE because (A) his primary role in the backfield last season (B) he wasnt a good pass catcher

Chaney is known for adapting to the strength of his players and personnel. I'm thinking we'll either see something creative in 21 or a heavy dose of 2 TEs (12 personnel/1 back 2 TEs)on the LOS in run sets.

I say we make Jamir Johnson the blocking TE (he's big, agile and strong) and one or more of the greenhorns can emerge as the pass-catching TE.

Jorden Allen can block and played TE in high school. He’s been in Cali training for the switchback. Dude is a more athletic DWA

Looking forward to seeing that stud freshman we signed out of north Alabama. His name escapes me atm but his film was amazing!

I say we make Jamir Johnson the blocking TE (he's big, agile and strong) and one or more of the greenhorns can emerge as the pass-catching TE.

I think your on to something here. He's undersized and not capable of catching passes, but he's arguably the most aggressive and intense kid on our offense other than Trey. Bring him in as a decoy to maul edge guys...!

4 star TE Jackson Lowe we signed in 2019 class who redshirted 2019 and 3 star Sean Brown who we also signed in 2019 who redshirted 2019 season. Everyone forgets these dudes.

Lowe had 27 offers and we beat Clemson for him. Brown played DE and TE in HS, had 16 offers and we beat out Auburn for him. Both are 6’5 245

Prineton Fant and Jordan Allen are there too. Beckwith will probably be there a bit

Beckwith is gonna be a baller. Interested to see his development and how they end up using him. Definitely not as a TE in the traditional sense for at least 2 years.

Side note: I'm predicting Jordan Allen will have the DWA role next season

Last edited:
Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo

VN Store

Back