First FBS school cancels football...UConn

IndianaVol

Old Timer, Quality Poster
UConn 1st FBS team to cancel football season

Reading the article though it seems like they are bailing on the season because of being independent this year and losing most of their scheduled games because other conferences are changing schedules. Guess that is bailing due to COVID indirectly.

So the first domino falls...is this the only one?
Do you think other independents like BYU and the military academies follow?
I don't see a P5 or even G5 team.cancelling, do you?

UConn football is not a “domino” and people (not you, just generally) need to stop abusing this term given that it invariably never actually serves to indicate anything.

“The Ivy League postponed their season until spring; the first domino has fallen!”

“The Marlins have COVID-19! The season is done for now that we’ve watched the first domino!”

Oh my God such a loss for Tennessee football ... NOT!!! Let's all go follow Connecticut?? GTFOH!!!

UConn football is not a “domino” and people (not you, just generally) need to stop abusing this term given that it invariably never actually serves to indicate anything.

“The Ivy League postponed their season until spring; the first domino has fallen!”

“The Marlins have COVID-19! The season is done for now that we’ve watched the first domino!”
giphy.gif

No surprise here. UConn's athletic department has been a financial train wreck for a long time. They had a $42 million dollar deficit in 2019 and got $36 million in subsidy from the university student fund.

"Football, which suffered the biggest hit from the decline in conference revenue, was once again UConn’s most costly program in 2019, with $16.6 in reported expenses against $3.3 in revenue. Men’s basketball cost $9.9 million and generated $6 million, while women’s basketball cost $8 million and generated $4.5 million. The remaining sports together cost $25.8 million and generated $2.8 million. "

UConn athletic department lost $42 million in 2019 after decline in ticket sales and league revenue

Read through the virtue signaling and politically correct speech, and you see a program making a strategic decision that only involves coronavirus in the sense that they are using it to their advantage. Power 5 schools are canceling the non-conference games, so they collect a payout. They owe their old conference 17 million. They lose money hosting the games against little nobodies.

This is no doubt a bean-counter decision behind the scenes, but the football program would be all for it because they can start preparing now for the Big East games next year, saving a year of eligibility for the players they want to return and gaining a preparation advantage.

And of course, spin it with the help of their local ESPN to look like they're all woke and stuff.

My question would be, if you cancel football season, then are you still allowed to have all the practice time that you can have in a football season? Or are you limited to offseason rules?

No surprise here. UConn's athletic department has been a financial train wreck for a long time. They had a $42 million dollar deficit in 2019 and got $36 million in subsidy from the university student fund.

"Football, which suffered the biggest hit from the decline in conference revenue, was once again UConn’s most costly program in 2019, with $16.6 in reported expenses against $3.3 in revenue. Men’s basketball cost $9.9 million and generated $6 million, while women’s basketball cost $8 million and generated $4.5 million. The remaining sports together cost $25.8 million and generated $2.8 million. "

UConn athletic department lost $42 million in 2019 after decline in ticket sales and league revenue
Wow. I’m surprised their women’s team lost money. If that program can’t make money there they are screwed. Totally. They may use this as an excuse to dump most of their teams.

Wow. I’m surprised their women’s team lost money. If that program can’t make money there they are screwed. Totally. They may use this as an excuse to dump most of their teams.
Their athletic department and in particular the football program has been so mismanaged it's comical. The contract for the current football coach is totally nuts. It has $2000 bonuses if the team scores first, leads at half time or has a better red zone percentage than the opponent.

Reactions: Illinoisvolfan2
Their athletic department and in particular the football program has been so mismanaged it's comical. The contract for the current football coach is totally nuts. It has $2000 bonuses if the team scores first, leads at half time or has a better red zone percentage than the opponent.
So JG would play between the 20s and then we put in a backup ?

Reactions: 08Vol
How are you surprised by that? Where do they generate any money? Home game attendance? TV revenue?

Yeah UConn has lost big money in FBS football.

UMass is in a similar and worse state.
You have to try to only have only $3.3 million in football revenue. I was curious so i did some quick searching at 2019 football revenue.

MTSU-$10,532,121
Tiger High-$7,027,123
UTC - $3,026,805
Austin Peay - $1,927,454

Sort of shocked with MTSU at 10 mil

VN Store

Back