How many games do we get to play before season is cancelled?

How many games do we get to play before season gets cancelled?

• Total voters

stevenrich2003

Curious, what do my volnation brothers and sisters think about this.

I have been back and forth on this..... I will reserve my thought for a few days and let volnation speak.

This could be delusion, but I feel that the most realistic options in play are either pulling the plug sometime before September 26th due to skyrocketing case counts on SEC campuses/locker rooms or the conference season ending with a champion being crowned in Atlanta. Of those, every subsequent Friday is going to serve as a benchmark of sorts and I just can't see ADs and school brass backtracking once we hit August 28th unless the situation turns truly catastrophic.

I wouldn't go so far to say that none of the fourteen teams will have a game or two scrapped, but every matchup brings two programs 10% closer to a completed season and I can absolutely envision that momentum outweighing a few player quarantines given the money on the line.

How many do we get to play?

giphy.gif

I totally believe if we can hang in there till Wednesday November the 4th by Saturday the 7th the talk will go back to the way the Swine Flu was reported. CDC says H!N1 was 60.8 million cases while just testing those with symptoms and most deaths were over 65 and children. It was in a odd year 2009 ( no election) It was talked about some but not daily and no lock down, no school closing although it was more dangerous to children.
If we make it till November everything gonna be alright, full season.
With all that said there is incredible political pressure to shut down to make ppl as isolated and depressed as possible.

Wait until everyone who likes the targeting rule gets the virus and dies. In that time, come up with a better way to handle it and helmet technology improves.

Reactions: TnVolfanatic
With the improving trends basically everywhere in the South, I'm actually becoming more optimistic. I hope that we are cresting the very-much expected hill, following the same pattern that has been seen around most of the world.

Seems like years ago someone said somethings about topping a hill and seeing the other side...... Hope better things are on the side of this hill for mankind's sake.

The problem will be, as usual, the liberal media and politicians. Every case of a player with COVID, every slight issue, any player who so much as sneezes in public, will be blown so out of proportion your head will spin. Every player disgruntled about playing time or the temperature in their dorms, who are willing to say anything negative about their health, their healthcare, their treatment, their testing, etc will garner front page news across the land, and demands from some Senator in California or New York that everything be shut down. And of course, full support on CNN, MSNBC and Fox News about the perils of playing.

The SEC, ACC, Big12 have to stick together, they have to plan, they have to know this onslaught is coming and they must have the drive to fight them and not back down. There can be no tepid, wishy-washy, impassive leaders in the rooms with any of these conferences. They have to be fighters and problem-solvers. They have to stand up to CNN reporters and Chuck Schumer-types demanding they shut the sport down.

Last edited:
Should be zero.

The pattern of the virus would suggest that those states now with significant outbreaks will have a curve like that of NYC, Sweden, and other places. Cases and deaths will peak (if they have not already) and then drop sharply.

That's the "science" of it. The politics of it suggests that anyone who tries to use a level head and not take unnecessary, radical actions will be demagogued and demonized.

I think the powers at be are really only hoping for 4. Let them look like they tried..give some guys some game time experience........Red-shirt eligibility still in tact then scrap the rest of the season.

Graphic: Coronavirus deaths in the U.S., per day

This is actually a good page for seeing the trend for the virus... and some other interesting stuff.

Notice that "flattening the curve"... just didn't work for densely populated states and cities.... and overwhelming medical resources was never a real threat in sparsely populated areas. IOW's, the shutdown was likely unnecessary to any degree and from an apolitical view... opening around Easter would have prevented "deaths of despair" and likely not cost any more lives by the time we sum up the year.

For those who do not think there is overcounting... and that it is somehow tethered to politics go down to the portion that shows deaths per 100,000. Only 4 states are over 100 deaths per 100,000. All are deep, deep, deep blue states. Some of that is obviously a function of population density and having their peak before medical management of the virus improved. But those things are unlikely to explain the HUGE discrepancy. Ten of the 13 states with over 50 deaths per 100K have Dem governors.

Those states have typically had the most aggressive (oppressive) responses. The story of that table is that harsh measures have not saved densely populated areas from the virus and have not had any discernible pattern of success or failure anywhere else.

VN Store

Back