SDS Pre Season Re Rankings

Tennessee is riding on a lot of ifs this season.

True, and that is why I am looking forward to a brutal slog of SEC only football games. This year will tell us a lot about our players and our coaching staff. In my mind success will not be dictated by our record of wins and losses, but how the players gut out the season. This is a year where the "eye test" matters much more than the final record. This has been my optimistic take on a F.U.B.A.R. season.

True, and that is why I am looking forward to a brutal slog of SEC only football games. This year will tell us a lot about our players and our coaching staff. In my mind success will not be dictated by our record of wins and losses, but how the players gut out the season. This is a year where the "eye test" matters much more than the final record. This has been my optimistic take on a F.U.B.A.R. season.

If we had these kids in year 2 I would feel better about this season. Tennessee got a bad deal on the schedule so we’re gonna be pretty beat up and some kids will have to grow up fast.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
If we had these kids in year 2 I would feel better about this season. Tennessee got a bad deal on the schedule so we’re gonna be pretty beat up and some kids will have to grow up fast.

By bad deal do you mean having two ranked teams added to the schedule? If so, then I disagree. I would rather watch a game against a ranked opponent than a cup cake. I want good games every week. It is an especially good time to get those games as well, because this season will be a wash and the loses will not count much. This is just my opinion as a fan, you may disagree.

Edit: You are right about the players being beat up and needing to grow up fast. Hopefully that will prepare us for 2021, where we contend for the SEC East.

By bad deal do you mean having two ranked teams added to the schedule? If so, then I disagree. I would rather watch a game against a ranked opponent than a cup cake. I want good games every week. It is an especially good time to get those games as well, because this season will be a wash and the loses will not count much. This is just my opinion as a fan, you may disagree.

Edit: You are right about the players being beat up and needing to grow up fast. Hopefully that will prepare us for 2021, where we contend for the SEC East.

I’m not a fan of cupcakes either but look at what Bama and UGa got compared to Tennessee. I know I know worry about who we play but I hate when the fat cats play a role in scheduling.

I’m not a fan of cupcakes either but look at what Bama and UGa got compared to Tennessee. I know I know worry about who we play but I hate when the fat cats play a role in scheduling.

The favorable scheduling was a blatant gift to Bama and Georgia. Blatant. They did not even try to hide it. I was just looking for the silver lining.

This is so Tennessee. We're ranked no. 17, but now we have to play 5 out of the top 10 teams rather than 5 out of the top 13. LOL

Agree with all of that.

10 SEC games will be a marathon, not a sprint. Injuries and depth will be more important than usual....for the 1st time in a decade, we have quality depth at most positions. They may be young...may even be frosh...but the guys CJP has brought in are bigger, faster, and can flat out play.

All eyes will be on the SEC this year since only 3 of the P5 conferences are playing ball this fall. The ACC is Clemson, a decent UNC, and a bunch of teams that would be Vanderbilts in our conference. The big12 is Oklahoma and a bunch of other teams that ALSO do not play defense....but that cannot score 50 a game to finish with a record worthy of playoffs from time to time. That leaves just the SEC to be front and center, the big boys league will be on full display across the country...even in markets where the Pac12 or Big10 usually broadcast weekly. Could be big for recruiting those areas...new eyeballs watching the best football players in college.

I think with 10 league games this season, it will boil down to battles in the trenches even more than a normal year..and the teams that can impose their will with the big uglies will win the most games. On paper, we have 1 of the best Olines in the country, even national media says so, but defense is a different story. We will be very young along the defensive line.. especially our subs..and it remains to be seen whether or not they will be able to line up and manhandle offenses up front. We sure hope so...but until we do it a couple times, who can say how good we actually are? Development and avoiding injuries will be the keys here behind the scenes. One good thing our Dline has going for them is a deep, talented LB room playing right behind them. Another is a deeper DB room playing right behind them. I watched a CJP clinic tape and 1 thing he said, i had never heard before "you build a great defense from the back to front." He believes that with great DB play (his position group lol) defenses are free to play aggressively and loose...knowing that they have great coverage as well as run support behind them at corner and safety. Had never, ever heard that..on fact many coaches say the exact opposite is true. Something to ponder. I do know that ,"coverage sacks " exist, also that Coach is fond of the corner blitz on the boundary side.

Oh, well. Not much longer now until ball time...I for one absolutely cannot wait.

Go Vols . HUBANegas

I don't mind having a hard schedule. Seems to me, it'll make us better. May not see that until next year, but I'll take it. I guarantee you the team is loving it.

Reactions: Boca Vol

VN Store

Back