Sankey responds to transfers

Kamara4sixGBO

Says it’s not his decision, says it’s the SEC rules, and has been the rule. Says it must be voted on to change. Pruitt mentioned this on Gibbs as well last year. I bet this rule is revisited in the next SEC meetings.

GOVOLS247
“There’s a very direct rule that says if you transfer from School A to School B in the SEC, you serve an academic year-of-residence (before you’re eligible),” Sankey said. “There are a set of NCAA oddity exceptions. Then in 2018, our membership created two more, one for grad transfers and one for individuals on teams that face postseason bans. And people send in waivers, but one of the questions that should be asked is not what is the commissioner going to do, it’s why haven’t our members voted to change that rule.

“So we’re inviting people to campus knowing there’s a clear rule, and now everyone points and says, ‘Well, you need to let people out of that rule.’ And one of the questions that’s real is why has our membership not acted to change, and the answer is because we have to work together, we have to be respectful. Could it change, should it change, might we manage it differently, those are questions still to be answered.
Sankey cites league rule in addressing SEC transfer questions

Reactions: Remy
A question: Has the league granted waivers in the past for transfers who did not meet the cited criteria?

If not, then he has a valid point. But, if so, then he has no credibility whatsoever.
Nope, they have not. Grad transfers, yes, not normal transfers. That’s why they installed the Grad Transfer Rule. I bet they change this one as well, call it the Mays Rule.

But Sankey basically just went public saying any SEC transfers will be denied unless they vote a new rule in. Any chance that happens before Scar?

Nope, they have not. Grad transfers, yes, not normal transfers. That’s why they installed the Grad Transfer Rule. I bet they change this one as well, call it the Mays Rule.

But Sankey basically just went public saying any SEC transfers will be denied unless they vote a new rule in. Any chance that happens before Scar?
Probably depends on if Alabama/Georgia/LSU have anyone they want to get transferred over.

Do you have an example of one that did? I tried thinking of one and couldn’t think of a single one. Went back on the ones I could remember and they all sat a year.
I honestly don't know the answer. But how many of the one's that sat last year had an NCAA waiver in hand already? These are different times. I do not believe Mays would have gone through the trouble of transferring to UT if the likelihood of success was low. Nor do I think UT would have invited him if that were true. All he had to do was stick it out one more year at UGA and go to the NFL.

Reactions: FearAVolunteer
This tells me Mays won’t play a snap for UT this year. Honesty Pruitt should just play him then next year have any wins he was involved in voided. We are fighting to get 5 wins this year. Pruitt’s career will be better served by a 5-6 win year that gets voided than a 3-4 win year that sticks.

This tells me Mays won’t play a snap for UT this year. Honesty Pruitt should just play him then next year have any wins he was involved in voided. We are fighting to get 5 wins this year. Pruitt’s career will be better served by a 5-6 win year that gets voided than a 3-4 win year that sticks.

Pruitt's record wont matter in a pandemic year when half the players probably will be quarantined at some point and not play and he has to play a 10 game SEC schedule. He could win 1 game and get a pass, I am confident.

What 6 or 7 teams do we lose to with or witbout Mays? Smoke another one for us

What 6 or 7 teams do we lose to with or witbout Mays? Smoke another one for us

We could easily lose 6 or 7 games with or without Mays. Once you factor in guys getting quarantined and injuries due to less preparation and conditioning (just like the NFL is seeing right now). Anything could happen this year.

Bama, Auburn, UF, UGA, TaMu, USCjr. There's 6 teams we could easily lose every one even completely healthy.

Reactions: berryvol
Do you have an example of one that did? I tried thinking of one and couldn’t think of a single one. Went back on the ones I could remember and they all sat a year.

The NCAA has recognized that this is an unprecedented season and has changed one of its most basic eligibility rules (5 years to play 4). Sankey could easily do the same here, but is hiding behind "the rules" because it could only negatively affect the chosen schools.

We could easily lose 6 or 7 games with or without Mays. Once you factor in guys getting quarantined and injuries due to less preparation and conditioning (just like the NFL is seeing right now). Anything could happen this year.

Bama, Auburn, UF, UGA, TaMu, USCjr. There's 6 teams we could easily lose every one even completely healthy.
While this is true, those other teams will be having to quarantine players as well evening the playing field unless you are LSU or GA who had guys opt out of the entire season,

Reactions: berryvol

VN Store

Back