Jeremy Pruitt Wednesday post practice press conference

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member

>Trey Smith is a very serious young man. He's had a plan. He has a big heart and has worked extremely hard to overcome some things. He's had an opportunity to practice many more times than he has the past two years.

>One the d-line... our guys are going to play hard. We'll make mistakes, we just can't make them again.

>We're familiar with Mike Bobo and what he likes to do. Both sides probably know what each other are going to do, we just don't know when they're going to do it. We have to execute at a high level and play with toughness upfront and out on the perimeter. We have to control the line of scrimmage. We have some guys upfront that have experience and some don't. That's why you come to Tennessee, to play in games like this.

[And, we lost the feed.]

>No decision yet on who the backup quarterback will be. We will continue to work all of our guys and will make a decision as we get closer.

>I've said numerous times what a great job Greg Sankey has done leading us through this time. Nobody from the SEC has reached out to ask us to meet with Cade Mays. It was submitted to the NCAA and they felt like he needed to play this year. Based on the NCAA's decision, I don't know how they would keep him from playing unless they say it's a rule we voted on. Our first priority has to be our student athletes. In my opinion, we have to sit back and look and see what really is the right thing to do here.

>We have to play aggressive and with confidence. Don't turn the ball over, get turnovers -- all the coach speak -- create explosive plays, gang tackle, score touchdowns in the red area and keep them from doing it. That's what wins games. We have 60 minutes to prove we're the best team on Saturday.

>On special teams... we got to do a lot of walk throughs in July but there's nothing like live reps on special teams. Just getting the guys in there and getting as many opportunities as we can, that's what we're focusing on.

>On the secondary... we do have some guys with experience, but last year has no effect on this year. How we play Saturday, that will be who we are so far this season so we want to be at our best.

>Joy Doyle wanted the opportunity to earn a scholarship and he had plenty of opportunities at other schools. We supported him. Because of COVID some of the conferences didn't play so he elected to come back and we were very happy to have him back.

>Robert Muschamp does a really nice job. Very had worker, very knowledgeable. One day he'll have a chance to be a coordinator or head coach. We're very excited to have him.

>Trey Smith stayed positive and thought about others instead of himself. A time when he couldn't do what he loves, he looked for a way that he could have a positive impact on others. He's really been a fantastic leader and one of my favorite guys I've had a chance to be around and coach over the years.

>On Mike Bobo you look at his entire body of work. People can change but when you've done it as well as he's done it over the years, I don't expect he'll change a whole lot. Mike is one of the best coaches in the country, great competitor. I love working with him. We'll get after each other on Saturday and probably talk a little trash during the summer time.

>At running back we will play young guys. We need depth. Our numbers have been down.

/the end

[edit: replaced old video link]

Last edited:
Does this mean "Vol Calls" is almost here?

I'll hang up and listen.

Reactions: FïreBall
"I've said numerous times what a great job Greg Sankey has done leading us through this time."

Lmao, he can't be serious.

Don't see it in the transcript but He intimated he expected Cade to play. He said ncaa said he was eligible to play immediately and sec has not reached out to Cade so Pruitt didn't see how they could keep him from playing. Very interesting.

Don't see it in the transcript but He intimated he expected Cade to play. He said ncaa said he was eligible to play immediately and sec has not reached out to Cade so Pruitt didn't see how they could keep him from playing. Very interesting.
It sounded like from Sankey, that he would not vote on anything AND a committee would have to...ratify Cade NOT playing. As in the NCAA gave thumbs up, and the SEC HASN'T said no. Its as if people are trying to look the other on all sides and Jeremy is trying to give the SEC the excuses to let it be.

Reactions: volmoon
It sounded like from Sankey, that he would not vote on anything AND a committee would have to...ratify Cade NOT playing. As in the NCAA gave thumbs up, and the SEC HASN'T said no. Its as if people are trying to look the other on all sides and Jeremy is trying to give the SEC the excuses to let it be.
Huh? What Stankey said was the conference voted to not allow intra-conference transfers without siting a year, and if we don't like it, then just wait until Saban or Smart needs an immediate transfer. Then, we can change the rule.

The O-line is fine without Cade, although we all want him to be eligible. Hopefully he comes back next year, but I'm ok with Wright and Carven, and happy we have Calbert to back up either position. I hope Cade and Cooper keep that dream alive to play together on the college level at UT, and make it happen next year. Who knows, maybe Smith and Kennedy come back, and if not, move Carven to Center, plug Calbert in at RG, keep Wright at RT, slide Mays in for Smith and Morris at LT, the O-line has built up the Oline so well that we don't need the officials or Sankey to make it easy for us. Nothing comes easy for Tennessee, we're used to this.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan

VN Store

Back