Vicious Cycle

jcvol87

Observed this site for years, but only commented a few times. That being said, I want to discuss all of the negative regarding our coaches, past to present. Fulmer was behind the times in philosophy, Kiffin bailed, Dooley made a very poor decision in Sal Sunseri hire that cost him, Butch was incompetent, and now Pruitt is struggling in his first HC gig . We demand so much as fans which is understandable. All of the options, suggestions, and opinions had me wondering. If Saban, Meyer, Gruden, Cowher, or any other top names imaginable were the present coach with the same results, would you still be saying they are lost, in over their head, need to be fired, ect.??? The program has been in shambles long before the nose dive in 2008 and until we have 5 years minimum of consistency in recruiting and philosophy it's destined for failure. I agree with JG needing to be benched. I agree offensive play calling is vanilla and predictable, and I agree our defense is suspect, but the program needs a strong foundation and stability. If we continue with changes every 2-3 years in coaching we will remain the laughing stock.
The last 12 years of UT football has sucked and not sure if it ever gets back to the late 90's dominance, but I will continue to support the orange and white! What do the rest of volnation think?

I couldn't agree more. I am no fan of JG's on field play. However, I admire the way Pruitt sticks to his guns. Building a foundation has to start somewhere. Bottom line is this is the coach we have. If he thinks this is way to build a program we should stick with him. Sooner or later something will give one way or the other.

I’ve always been a Tennessee fan and always will be....regardless.

However I’m not going to keep calling bad good. I’m done with that and have been. When it’s bad.....I’ll call it bad.

When “I” feel the coaching sucks.....I’ll say it. Heck “this” is the place where we should be doing this. I’m not going on Twitter trying to tear down all the players and coaches.....and hoping they’ll see it.

I feel (just my opinion) as a fan.....a real, life long fan, I should be real, and I shouldn’t always try and find an imaginary silver lining......if I don’t see one.

I’m always hopeful. I want better. When I see good things I’ll acknowledge it.....and have....heck I want things to be good....but for right now their simply not.

And I’m calling out the one person who “should” be and on a site where it “should” be done and most likely none of the current players or coaches even see it......and if they do....then their certainly looking for it.

I was on Google today and a lot of the writers that follow UT were blasting JP and Chaney. One point a lot of them made was that it appeared that UT was not trying to win game. Down a bunch and still running the ball. Not enough deep throws when that looked like an area that was a Bama weakness. Chaney's overall play calling and JPs defensive line that he took over was a point. One sack. poor tackling and DBs that can't cover.

I was on Google today and a lot of the writers that follow UT were blasting JP and Chaney. One point a lot of them made was that it appeared that UT was not trying to win game. Down a bunch and still running the ball. Not enough deep throws when that looked like an area that was a Bama weakness. Chaney's overall play calling and JPs defensive line that he took over was a point. One sack. poor tackling and DBs that can't cover.

I think Pruitt is looking to get the overall 1st draft pick.

Pruitt will be here another two years because Fulmer stupidly gave him an extension, and the athletic program will be in shambles due to COVID.

He will be gone after that. He is a 7-5 coach without absolute ELITE talent, which he can’t get enough of, because he’s a 7-5 coach.

To put it simply, we are a mid-tier program in perpetuity.

OP not throwing shade on your post, but I have read that same argument in year 3 of the last three coaches on this site...and during Fulmer’s last three years. Each time the hope that they will improve has not panned out. And history has shown that those coaches were not up to snuff as none of them ever ended up as a head coach after their departure. The product on the field and the decision making in each case showed that something was severely lacking. We all have seen it before and see no reason to believe things will get better.

Observed this site for years, but only commented a few times. That being said, I want to discuss all of the negative regarding our coaches, past to present. Fulmer was behind the times in philosophy, Kiffin bailed, Dooley made a very poor decision in Sal Sunseri hire that cost him, Butch was incompetent, and now Pruitt is struggling in his first HC gig . We demand so much as fans which is understandable. All of the options, suggestions, and opinions had me wondering. If Saban, Meyer, Gruden, Cowher, or any other top names imaginable were the present coach with the same results, would you still be saying they are lost, in over their head, need to be fired, ect.??? The program has been in shambles long before the nose dive in 2008 and until we have 5 years minimum of consistency in recruiting and philosophy it's destined for failure. I agree with JG needing to be benched. I agree offensive play calling is vanilla and predictable, and I agree our defense is suspect, but the program needs a strong foundation and stability. If we continue with changes every 2-3 years in coaching we will remain the laughing stock.
The last 12 years of UT football has sucked and not sure if it ever gets back to the late 90's dominance, but I will continue to support the orange and white! What do the rest of volnation think?
Those coaches wouldn’t have the same results...

I’ve always been a Tennessee fan and always will be....regardless.

However I’m not going to keep calling bad good. I’m done with that and have been. When it’s bad.....I’ll call it bad.

When “I” feel the coaching sucks.....I’ll say it. Heck “this” is the place where we should be doing this. I’m not going on Twitter trying to tear down all the players and coaches.....and hoping they’ll see it.

I feel (just my opinion) as a fan.....a real, life long fan, I should be real, and I shouldn’t always try and find an imaginary silver lining......if I don’t see one.

I’m always hopeful. I want better. When I see good things I’ll acknowledge it.....and have....heck I want things to be good....but for right now their simply not.

And I’m calling out the one person who “should” be and on a site where it “should” be done and most likely none of the current players or coaches even see it......and if they do....then their certainly looking for it.
At this point, Tennessee is what it is. A middle of the road team. Likely won’t be any better outside a year or two here or there. Just enjoy (as much as you can) the ride.

I’m a recovering fanatic, it’ll be ok.

OP not throwing shade on your post, but I have read that same argument in year 3 of the last three coaches on this site...and during Fulmer’s last three years. Each time the hope that they will improve has not panned out. And history has shown that those coaches were not up to snuff as none of them ever ended up as a head coach after their departure. The product on the field and the decision making in each case showed that something was severely lacking. We all have seen it before and see no reason to believe things will get better.
I do agree with what you are saying, not sure we ever get the proper solution. To an extent I am starting to believe the era I was privileged to witness was a flash in the pan regarding success and may never be again for this program, but every game since Dooley seems like this forum overall has become a broken record.

Reactions: N.ohio vol
It's like listening to the same crappy song on repeat. Seems like there was a thread titled something like that.

At this point, Tennessee is what it is. A middle of the road team. Likely won’t be any better outside a year or two here or there. Just enjoy (as much as you can) the ride.

I’m a recovering fanatic, it’ll be ok.

Our run in the 90s was luck. We stumbled into CPF.
Other than that.....this is who we are.

Reactions: YankeeVol
Pruitt will be here another two years because Fulmer stupidly gave him an extension, and the athletic program will be in shambles due to COVID.

He will be gone after that. He is a 7-5 coach without absolute ELITE talent, which he can’t get enough of, because he’s a 7-5 coach.

To put it simply, we are a mid-tier program in perpetuity.
You are correct. Can't afford these buyouts and firing JP would make PF look more of a fool that he already is.

Our run in the 90s was luck. We stumbled into CPF.
Other than that.....this is who we are.
Seems some are remembering only the positives from Fulmer's time. It was definitely better than the current situation but not without issues. The almost guaranteed annual choke job vs Spurrier and Florida, a loss to Memphis inspite of an overwhelming edge in talent, blowing the SEC title game vs Saban and LSU, a total of 2 conference championships in 17 seasons, etc.

Reactions: finn and igotworms
Seems some are remembering only the positives from Fulmer's time. It was definitely better than the current situation but not without issues. The almost guaranteed annual choke job vs Spurrier and Florida, a loss to Memphis inspite of an overwhelming edge in talent, blowing the SEC title game vs Saban and LSU, a total of 2 conference championships in 17 seasons, etc.
And that’s the bright spots of the last 45 years

Reactions: SpookyAction
This has every bit as much logic and intelligence to it as saying, "What if you hired one of the top heart surgeons in the world to do your surgery and he suddenly forgot how to hold a scalpel and killed you on the operating table?" Neither Saban nor Meyer nor Gruden has ever taken a HC job where they did not demonstrably and dramatically improve the team within two years, usually less. Your question makes as much sense as asking what one would do if he bought a goldfish at the pet store and it forgot how to breathe through its gills on the way home and drowned.

I would agree with you exceyfor the one unarguable fact that in year three there is still not a serviceable quarterback on Tennessee’s roster. That is nothing but base and gross incompetence. You could argue last year that Pruitt was blindsided by Guaranatano’s shortcomings. He has no such excuse this year and appears to have twiddled his thumbs and done nothing to remedy that situation in the off-season. We are talking offensive hemorrhage here and Pruitt didn’t even perform basic triage.

Tennessee fans expect more from the program as the athletic department continually expects more from them to attend games, participate in the program, the costs continue to escalate and the financial commitment continually goes up, while the on the field product is not competitive in a conference that was organized in Knoxville and in which Tennessee was a founding member, this is the premier college football conference in the country and Tennessee continues to fiddle and phaurt around with mediocrity, rather than expecting a level of performance that they continue to demand from their boosters, donors and season ticket holders, Tennessee doesn't have to win every game, but they do need to be competitive 8n conference play, not getting blown out week in and week out,

Fulmer took the program to the top when the conference was dow, the SEC west was inept, devoid of talent, top tier coaches and facilities to build championship

Reactions: Proud Army Wife

VN Store

Back