Will the leader of this team please stand up

BigCountryVol

Aight...
I am no rocket scientist. But I’ve played enough ball to realize what I see when I watch this team. I’m sure most of y’all have seen it, so I apologize if I’m being captain obvious. There are no leaders on this team on either side of the ball. I’m not talking about coaches, I’m talking about players. It aggravates the hell out of me when I watch these kids play. I’m not gonna jump on the “bash JG” bandwagon....he just simply doesn’t need to be quarterbacking this team. On top of everything else people talk about, he’s not a leader. You don’t see him communicating with players on the sidelines.... he doesn’t fire people up... he doesn’t have any command whatsoever of this team. There HAS to be an alpha male on each side of the ball....one should be the QB for sure. There are so many things I could sit here and talk about.... coaching issues, the lack of tackling, lack of discipline, etc. But there’s just no fire on this ball team. There is no accountability from peers.
“Hey man what the f kind of tackle was that? You look like a Girl Scout. If you’re gonna start on this defense you better man up and hit somebody”..... this should be the captain of the defense calling people out. I guaran-damn-tee you a conversation of the sort took place when this was Al Wilson’s defense. I’m not gonna keep going on and on..... but somebody has got to step up on each side of the ball and say “this is my offense” or “this is my D”. I love the Vols and I always will.... but enough already. There has to be some pride on this team somewhere.

I'm just throwing crap at the wall here, but I bet it's because no one can lead by example. To'oTo'o may be the only one
Maybe so.... then he’s got to step up and be the man. Idk if it’s just me, but it felt like when Maurer entered the game there was a little bit of pep in their step......brought a little swag. He dang sure has more confidence than puss n boots.

I hope he’s right......but really......if it’s that simple.....why not do it before the Kentucky game.

Jauan Jennings was that alpha male last year and I agree someone like him is desperately needed to step up on this team but is nowhere to be found so far. JG is just not that type of personallity. I also agree it would be nice for QB to be that guy. Maurer showed some of that last year - fearless and provided spark the team needed few times he was in there before he got those concussions. Problem with Maurer is that it seems unlikely he has or will ever develop other necessary skills needed to lead the team against SEC level of competition.

Reactions: spyfish007
I'm with you OP, I expected to hear of an all player meeting on the Sunday after the KY loss but never did. That is just one more issue with this team. I totally agree that there is no fire on this team, I never see any player on the sideline call anyone out or firing anyone up.

Reactions: davethevol
Bryce needs to take that leadership role if no one else is going to do it. Trey Smith needs to be the vocal leader too.

The QB is suppose to be the leader. Over the past 10 quarters he has personally scored 2 TDs for us and 3 TDs for the opposing team. He shows great leadership.....for the opposing team’s defense.

Reactions: USMC-TNVOL
There is no leadership on this team. Its the new era, get use to it. Soy boy mentality. Al Wilsons are a thing of the past fyi....
Al Wilson types (alpha personalities) are not "PC" in this day and age. Tolerance (even of bad behavior, bad play), and a 'there are no losers, only winners' mentality are the order of the day.

Reactions: Mrgro
I’m really shocked that Trey Smith hasn’t stepped into that role. Aside from being huge, he’s pretty intelligent and articulate. He’s clearly not a leader though.

Reactions: orangemadam
I think that left when Butch got here. Dooley still had some of Fulmer's players that wanted to hit someone in the mouth. But it quickly left shortly after Butch showed up.

VN Store

Back