No reason to believe Jeremy Pruitt can fix Tennessee

The one point he got wrong is Pruitt getting rid of Cheney, I can't see him firing Cheney.

I would keep Chaney for the last year of his contract then let him retire, move Nieds to a noncoaching role ( recruiting coordinator), move Ainsley to DB coach, keep Graham, and fire everyone else

Reactions: ArdentVol
What Finebaum had to say about Pruitt:

“For all the things that Jeremy Pruitt has done well at Tennessee, and I’ll have to get back to you on what those are, his public relations has been abysmal, and that’s from the beginning,” Finebaum said. “I know people up in Tennessee who have offered to help him and counsel him and give him opportunities and I’ve been on the set with him in Knoxville and asked him just an underhanded layup on Phil Fulmer and he couldn’t even answer that correctly. He is still a high school football coach when it comes to public relations and I know that sounds like an insult to the great high school football coaches out there who are great communicators. What I mean by that is he will not communicate in an appropriate way, he doesn’t understand that the fan base until recently was rooting for him and wants him to succeed, and his press conferences are usually a disaster as a result, going back to the Alabama game, this game, countless other times.

Finally, the co-hosts asked Finebaum if Pruitt had the support of Athletics Director Phil Fulmer.

“Back to Fulmer, I suppose Fulmer is supporting him because he has to,” Finebaum said. “Phil Fulmer has dug in and this was his guy and we all remember the circumstances a couple years ago with (Greg) Schiano and then Fulmer took over and then (Mike) Leach was passed on and then it was ultimately going to be Jeremy Pruitt. He also gave him the extension, the administration at Tennessee has done everything to support Jeremy Pruitt and I mean everything. They’ve gotten in line, they stood up for him, they gave him the extension, they rallied around him, and what are they going to do now as we head into the offseason, I have no earthly idea.”

The one point he got wrong is Pruitt getting rid of Cheney, I can't see him firing Cheney.

Author was right about most of it, but I agree no OC worth a dadgum is going to come in here for just 1 year. Only move I could see in that arena is a Chaney firing and a Tee promotion to OC......maybe solidify himself enough that he'll be a holdover in some capacity with Freeze or a new coach for a few years.

Author was right about most of it, but I agree no OC worth a dadgum is going to come in here for just 1 year. Only move I could see in that arena is a Chaney firing and a Tee promotion to OC......maybe solidify himself enough that he'll be a holdover in some capacity with Freeze or a new coach for a few years.

Yes, and it is exactly why you rip off the scab now.

What Finebaum had to say about Pruitt:

“For all the things that Jeremy Pruitt has done well at Tennessee, and I’ll have to get back to you on what those are, his public relations has been abysmal, and that’s from the beginning,” Finebaum said. “I know people up in Tennessee who have offered to help him and counsel him and give him opportunities and I’ve been on the set with him in Knoxville and asked him just an underhanded layup on Phil Fulmer and he couldn’t even answer that correctly. He is still a high school football coach when it comes to public relations and I know that sounds like an insult to the great high school football coaches out there who are great communicators. What I mean by that is he will not communicate in an appropriate way, he doesn’t understand that the fan base until recently was rooting for him and wants him to succeed, and his press conferences are usually a disaster as a result, going back to the Alabama game, this game, countless other times.

Finally, the co-hosts asked Finebaum if Pruitt had the support of Athletics Director Phil Fulmer.

“Back to Fulmer, I suppose Fulmer is supporting him because he has to,” Finebaum said. “Phil Fulmer has dug in and this was his guy and we all remember the circumstances a couple years ago with (Greg) Schiano and then Fulmer took over and then (Mike) Leach was passed on and then it was ultimately going to be Jeremy Pruitt. He also gave him the extension, the administration at Tennessee has done everything to support Jeremy Pruitt and I mean everything. They’ve gotten in line, they stood up for him, they gave him the extension, they rallied around him, and what are they going to do now as we head into the offseason, I have no earthly idea.”

Ouch...that is as unvarnished as you will ever see. PF obviously sees Pruitt as a complete dunce.

Pruitt is either the dumbest coach we’ve ever had OR he’s an extremely smart guy looking to get paid. There is no way in hell I would invest more into this buffoon. At this point, get through the recruiting cycle, fire him and promote Chaney if you’re not going to go out and hire a coach. Give your best man on this staff a chance bc Pruitt is completely incompetent.

I would keep Chaney for the last year of his contract then let him retire, move Nieds to a noncoaching role ( recruiting coordinator), move Ainsley to DB coach, keep Graham, and fire everyone else

I expect to see some coaches jump to other programs, even for lateral moves because they can see the writing on the wall. I can't see firing Cheney, paying his buyout then having to overpay to lure a decent OC in. Then paying that guy's buyout after the staff is fired next season.

Promoting Tee would be a catastrophe and Fulmer making his retention mandatory for a new coach would be the same.

I doubt Chaney cares either way. Fire him, and he retires early with a golden parachute into retirement, keep him, and he gets to be interim coach for the last 6 games of the 2022 season and then retire when he gets let go with the rest of the coaching staff after we replace Pruitt.

He wins regardless of the outcome.

I expect to see some coaches jump to other programs, even for lateral moves because they can see the writing on the wall. I can't see firing Cheney, paying his buyout then having to overpay to lure a decent OC in. Then paying that guy's buyout after the staff is fired next season.
Exactly what happened with Dooley’s staff after the 2011 season. Seven of them left because they could see the writing on the wall.

Tee Martin sucked as offensive coordinator at USC.

Tee couldn't find success as an OC at USC, why in the world would you think he'd suddenly get it together at UT?

He's only at UT because no one else would hire him, because he's not a very good coach.

Tee couldn't find success as an OC at USC, why in the world would you think he'd suddenly get it together at UT?

He's only at UT because no one else would hire him, because he's not a very good coach.

No I'm saying its really the only move you could make if Pruitt is going to blame Chaney and try and stay on another year. I actually am still under the impression that Chaney isn't that bad (yes, probably a little outdated) but he is being handcuffed and micromanaged by Pruitt

Ouch...that is as unvarnished as you will ever see. PF obviously sees Pruitt as a complete dunce.
So now we're taking anything Finebaum says as Gospel. Nothing but a sports directed Jerry Springer.

So now we're taking anything Finebaum says as Gospel. Nothing but a sports directed Jerry Springer.

You kinda jumped the shark there, skippy.... There is nothing in my post to suggest that.

Anyhow, I don’t need for PF or anyone else to tell me that Pruitt is a dunce. I can see that for myself.

Reactions: mpfvol
So an Alabama football blog/magazine, Alabama homer and Tennessee graduate Finebaum can see the Pruitt is an absolute failure as a head coach. Can Fulmer and the rest of those that have to make change happen see it?

So an Alabama football blog/magazine, Alabama homer and Tennessee graduate Finebaum can see the Pruitt is an absolute failure as a head coach. Can Fulmer and the rest of those that have to make change happen see it?
Is Fulmer even involved right now? I'm asking because I don't know. Has he had discussions about expectations at all with CJP?

VN Store

Back