Hiring and Firing coaches

VolJarhead

We are good at hiring and firing new coaches. We may be the best in the country at the process of hiring and firing. We have a lot of practice. I think hiring a coach for less than 5 years is pretty silly when you hire one with no experience. You have to know that they are going to make mistakes and need to learn from them. I honestly think if Dooley were still here we would be in better shape than we are now. I'm not saying that there aren't coaches that can do better faster. I'm saying you can't hire a coach with no experience and assume that he will have all the answers right off the bat. I'm not excited about Pruitt, but what coaches want to come here knowing they have 3 years before they are fired if the fans aren't happy with what they see? The only ones that would want the job would be coordinators. That is how I see it, but that is just one man's opinion.

Only thing I disagree with on your post is saying TN is good at hiring coaches. They are clearly very bad at hiring FB coaches. Got lucky with Fulmer, had no HC experience, and have bombed with every hire since.
Only thing I disagree with on your post is saying TN is good at hiring coaches. They are clearly very bad at hiring FB coaches. Got lucky with Fulmer, had no HC experience, and have bombed with every hire since.
I never said good at hiring "good" coaches.

Reactions: OrangeBeachVol
We are good at hiring and firing new coaches. We may be the best in the country at the process of hiring and firing. We have a lot of practice. I think hiring a coach for less than 5 years is pretty silly when you hire one with no experience. You have to know that they are going to make mistakes and need to learn from them. I honestly think if Dooley were still here we would be in better shape than we are now. I'm not saying that there aren't coaches that can do better faster. I'm saying you can't hire a coach with no experience and assume that he will have all the answers right off the bat. I'm not excited about Pruitt, but what coaches want to come here knowing they have 3 years before they are fired if the fans aren't happy with what they see? The only ones that would want the job would be coordinators. That is how I see it, but that is just one man's opinion.
The problem is not hiring coaches. The problem is shopping at Walmart. You get what you pay for but have different expectations with the results.

The most unfortunate thing is that after Kiffin we had the best chance to hire a proven winner and we blew it. Then came failure after failure causing the university to look like reject U. How could we expect any return on our investment when we were bargin bin shopping due to the incompetence of the administration. No one wanted to come into this dumpster fire. I can barely remember when UT was a solid program as the years of frustration have thrown log after log on that burial pyre.

Reactions: OEF VOL
We're not good at hiring or firing. We are good at hiring bad coaches and firing them too late though.

Reactions: GVol1966
Just because you're experienced at something doesn't mean that you're good at it.

I agree - there are so many people who forget that when Pruitt was hired no one else wanted the job or was available to pursue the job and fulmer hired the best available at the time - just because people think you can put out 6 million dollar out there - that does not guarantee a big name - successful coach - it does not apply here. It might hurt but Tennessee is NOT a top 7 football school - just ask Michigan/Harbaugh . People are already talking about firing Edgeron after winning it all last year. Stop talking about firing coaches - your not helping the program!

I agree - there are so many people who forget that when Pruitt was hired no one else wanted the job or was available to pursue the job and fulmer hired the best available at the time - just because people think you can put out 6 million dollar out there - that does not guarantee a big name - successful coach - it does not apply here. It might hurt but Tennessee is NOT a top 7 football school - just ask Michigan/Harbaugh . People are already talking about firing Edgeron after winning it all last year. Stop talking about firing coaches - your not helping the program!
Yes, because that last year really helped Butch get the program moving in the right direction. Pruitt needs to be fired. Fulmer needs to be fired. Chaney needs to be fired. The firing is not the problem. Hiring incompetence is the problem and it starts at the top.

Reactions: Godfatha
Hindsight is always 20/20 but I'll always believe that Dooley should have never been hired here. Losing Kiffin as late as we did they should have placed the interim tag on a coach and waited until the end of the following season to announce a new coach. They rushed way too fast into hiring someone after Kiffin left them and made a disastrous hire. Of course, it might not have changed things but I think having an interim coach for the season would have stabilized things and left the administration with time to go through the hiring process and finding a better choice.

I just want to be able to start posting „Freeze Warning for Knoxville“ memes. Come on Fulmer, help a wise guy out here 😂

Hindsight is always 20/20 but I'll always believe that Dooley should have never been hired here. Losing Kiffin as late as we did they should have placed the interim tag on a coach and waited until the end of the following season to announce a new coach. They rushed way too fast into hiring someone after Kiffin left them and made a disastrous hire. Of course, it might not have changed things but I think having an interim coach for the season would have stabilized things and left the administration with time to go through the hiring process and finding a better choice.
I agree wholeheartedly. Very wise post.

You can’t hire proven coaches these days. You just get them bigger raises at their current programs. Freeze was fired for cheating + other embarrassing issues. None of the high profile guys during the previous search have proven they are worth $7M per. Tenn is a historical 70% winner.
Go get Stoops or at least Richt. They know how to run a big program..Be nice to win 9 or 10 every year.

I don't care if you're Vince Lombardi reincarnated, if you're in year three, sitting on a very possible 2-8 record, five straight double digit losses, a serious lack of awareness/development of the QB position and topped off with numerous questionable/stupid decisions............

You should be fired.

VN Store

Back