Guess our 1st Starting Lineup

PulaskiVolFan

I think we'll have several different lineups throughout the year but here's how I think our 1st game starting five will be:

Vescovi-PG/SG
Keon - SG/SF
JJJ - SF/PG
Pons - PF
Fulkerson - C

I know it's not a popular opinion but I think Springer replaces SV in the starting lineup by league play. What's everybodies starting lineup for the 1st game?

I think we'll have several different lineups throughout the year but here's how I think our 1st game starting five will be:

Vescovi-PG/SG
Keon - SG/SF
JJJ - SF/PG
Pons - PF
Fulkerson - C

I know it's not a popular opinion but I think Springer replaces SV in the starting lineup by league play. What's everybodies starting lineup for the 1st game?
Pretty much agree with this lineup. Springer is the only question mark. He could bump Keon or Vescovi but I don’t think he will. I think he will be the 6th man getting a lot of minutes at the 1 and 2.

Pretty much agree with this lineup. Springer is the only question mark. He could bump Keon or Vescovi but I don’t think he will. I think he will be the 6th man getting a lot of minutes at the 1 and 2.
Agree.

If SV has improved the things he's talked about working on (driving to his right, defensive quickness) then I can't see him not starting.

I'm more curious who finishes games. Hopefully we have the lead in most of them so the most sound with the bball and best FT shooter imo would be:

Vescovi
Springer
JJJ
Anosiki
Fulky

or

Vescovi
Springer
Johnson
JJJ
Fulky

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I'm more curious who finishes games. Hopefully we have the lead in most of them so the most sound with the bball and best FT shooter imo would be:

Vescovi
Springer
JJJ
Anosiki
Fulky

or

Vescovi
Springer
Johnson
JJJ
Fulky
It will depend on the game situations but I think you're going to see our best defensive team on the court the majority of the time.

Reactions: Vols All Day
It will depend on the game situations but I think you're going to see our best defensive team on the court the majority of the time.
Agree.

It's almost like clockwork watching Barnes's substitution pattern. If a player gets beat defensively, you will typically see someone trotting to the table to check in. Also the same outcome if you see someone take a quick/poor shot on the offensive end.

Agree on those 5...but I think Springer will still get similar minutes to the starters at guard. Bailey and Anosike getting 7&8 most minutes imo.

I think one of Vescovi or JJJ will move to the bench to function as a backup primary ball handler. Both star freshmen start. Bigs are Pons and Fulky just like last year. Something like:

PG: Vescovi
SG: Springer
SF: Keon
PF: Pons
C: Fulky

JJJ (or Vescovi) and Anosike probably still get starter-level minutes off the bench (maybe Bailey too). This lineup could also be a little fluid based on matchups. In general, I think it’s smart to mostly have only one of Springer/Bailey on the floor at a time as primary offensive options and one of Vescovi or JJJ at a time as both are best as offense initiators on the ball. That’s not to say there won’t be lineups with either combo on the floor together, I would just generally limit it.

I think one of Vescovi or JJJ will move to the bench to function as a backup primary ball handler. Both star freshmen start. Bigs are Pons and Fulky just like last year. Something like:

PG: Vescovi
SG: Springer
SF: Keon
PF: Pons
C: Fulky

JJJ (or Vescovi) and Anosike probably still get starter-level minutes off the bench (maybe Bailey too). This lineup could also be a little fluid based on matchups. In general, I think it’s smart to mostly have only one of Springer/Bailey on the floor at a time as primary offensive options and one of Vescovi or JJJ at a time as both are best as offense initiators on the ball. That’s not to say there won’t be lineups with either combo on the floor together, I would just generally limit it.
You give up a bunch on defense and rebounding with this starting lineup.

You give up a bunch on defense and rebounding with this starting lineup.

This is really just swapping JJJ for Springer. I’d prefer the primary scoring presence over the wing defense, especially when Pons can cover the toughest guy. I also like the pairing of JJJ and Bailey on the second unit better than Vescovi/Bailey or Springer/Bailey. Ideally you have an offense initiator and a bucket getter on each unit, and I think this is the most sensical way to get there. I also can see this being a bit more fluid where JJJ plays more minutes when the opponent has a strong scoring presence on the wing, and Vescovi playing more when that isn’t the case.

This is really just swapping JJJ for Springer. I’d prefer the primary scoring presence over the wing defense, especially when Pons can cover the toughest guy. I also like the pairing of JJJ and Bailey on the second unit better than Vescovi/Bailey or Springer/Bailey. Ideally you have an offense initiator and a bucket getter on each unit, and I think this is the most sensical way to get there. I also can see this being a bit more fluid where JJJ plays more minutes when the opponent has a strong scoring presence on the wing, and Vescovi playing more when that isn’t the case.
Our team weakness is rebounding and JJJ is our most consistent rebounder, I don't see any way he's not in the starting lineup.

Vescovi
Johnson
JJJ
Pons
Fulky

I’d say Springer is the first off the bench, taking over for whoever is struggling or even a breather between Vescovi and Johnson.

Bailey and Anosike will be the next two and I’d say their minutes will be identical around 10-15, more depending on how well they are playing, but that can be said for everyone.

Going to be a fun year, if played.

Our team weakness is rebounding and JJJ is our most consistent rebounder, I don't see any way he's not in the starting lineup.

If he’s there he should be lead ball handler in place of Vescovi. Whether they call him the PG or just play him as a point forward probably doesn’t matter. Springer should still start.

If he’s there he should be lead ball handler in place of Vescovi. Whether they call him the PG or just play him as a point forward probably doesn’t matter. Springer should still start.
If Springer starts I think that means Vescovi will be coming off the bench. I think Barnes will reward Vescovi with the start but I believe it's going to be tough to keep Springer out of the starting lineup as the season goes. If Springer can play the 3 some I could see him on the floor with Vescovi but I think we're going to see JJJames/Pons get most of the time at small forward. Springer is more suited at the 1 and 2 guard spots as is Vescovi yet I don't think either are as good as Keon at 2 guard. If history serves correct then Barnes is going to play our best defensive lineup the majority of the time.

If Springer starts I think that means Vescovi will be coming off the bench. I think Barnes will reward Vescovi with the start but I believe it's going to be tough to keep Springer out of the starting lineup as the season goes. If Springer can play the 3 some I could see him on the floor with Vescovi but I think we're going to see JJJames/Pons get most of the time at small forward. Springer is more suited at the 1 and 2 guard spots as is Vescovi yet I don't think either are as good as Keon at 2 guard. If history serves correct then Barnes is going to play our best defensive lineup the majority of the time.

I mean, maybe. A chunk of that history had our best defensive lineup include our best offensive players. It’ll be interesting to see how he handles an offensive talent like Springer.

Vescovi-PG/SG
Keon - SG/SF
JJJ - SF/PG
Pons - PF
Fulkerson - C

If Springer and Johnson are both first rounder like everyone is pointing out then they will both start and play at least 30 minutes a game eventually. Maybe not right away but Barnes isn't going home from the NCAA Tournament with his most talented players sitting on the bench. I don't care how deep we are.

If Springer and Johnson are both first rounder like everyone is pointing out then they will both start and play at least 30 minutes a game eventually. Maybe not right away but Barnes isn't going home from the NCAA Tournament with his most talented players sitting on the bench. I don't care how deep we are.
I agree with all of that and think that's how it will play out.

Yeah Springer and Johnson are the starters come post season.

Let next season be
KC/Vescovi
Bailey/Mashack
JJJ
Anosike
Fulky (if he comes back)

VN Store

Back