Timing & Fit Are Everything.

vegasvolfan

Marketing Professional With 25 Years of Experience
When things do not work out people freak out. This entire site is full of examples. Our program history is full of examples. I get that we all want an answer, but it is simple. We suck and we are paying three coaches right now. We do not want to be paying three that are not our head coaches. We are stuck with Pruitt for the next couple of years.

That said, I am growing a little tired of Pruitt’s responses to questions. I do not care about his player experiences, He was not that good of a player. I also find his pointing to other players’ mistakes when JG takes heat to be repetitive and reflective of a coach that lacks the intelligence necessary to compete as a power 5 HC. Yes, every player costs their team with a mistake, but you cannot compare most positions (if any at all) with the QB position. The QB typically touches the ball on every play.

When it comes to JG’s performance and Pruitt’s decision to name him the starter, Pruitt’s previous case was that he didn’t make mistakes. That was a good reason, but lately, we have been watching one of the worst QB performances in my lifetime (45) occur before our eyes during a year when our QB was supposed to be at his best. Yet Pruitt continues to start him while we have Harrison Bailey on our roster.

The only argument for this baffling decision is that Bailey missed all of spring camp and a lot of summer camp. That is a lot of time that Bailey did not have to learn an offense. That time was also typical for Freshman QBs who have performed well at other schools in the past. Still, we have a room full of QBs that deserve a shot. A REAL shot. If we were close in these games, it would be one thing, but we are not.

Pruitt’s excuse is that the other players are not ready. That, then, points to coaching. I am not sure how much influence Pruitt has over the development of our QBs, but as the HC, he should understand there are some glaring issues when it comes to the development of our QBs. He should understand that his team is running out of gas because they lack the stamina they had with Fitz. He should understand that it is indeed his job to address fans and the media. He is the HEAD COACH. Not a position coach. No one position or side of the ball should be his focus. If he wants that to be the case, he needs to resign and go back to being a position coach or a coordinator. He won’t though, so we are stuck paying a man that seems to understand less about being a head coach than I ever could have imagined.

That said, I am beginning to question his coaching abilities altogether and can’t help but wonder if a lot of his coaching successes as a coordinator have more to do with the teams he coached for. A lot of coaches succeed because of their situations. Football is also very political. So, Pruitt has also benefitted from relationship building in the past. Still, none of that has anything to do with one’s ability to take players and make them better. I will side with the argument that when he can focus on a few, he is actually the coach many of his former players say he is, but that seems (so far) to be at best what he is.

What we needed, however, is a coach that can rebuild a program. He has never held a position where he has even been a part of a rebuild—let alone holding a position where he is leading the entire rebuild in the SEC. Maybe he will figure it out on our dime, but so far... he hasn’t. We have gotten worse. Not better.

Regardless of how poorly he does, we should not fire him until we know who his replacement is going to be. We will need a coach that has rebuilt a program before—someone who has been able to do more with less against power 5 teams. If we fire him without knowing who our next coach is only to replace him with a coach who has shown merely signs of progress in different situations, we will repeat the cycle we started when we fired Fulmer all over again. Yep, this all started when we fired a HOF coach with zero idea of who we were going to replace him with.

I respect that our boosters want to get our program into better financial shape by ending the cycle of firing coaches while we still owe money only to hire coaches that are not what we want only to fire them and owe them money too. I also would respect someone, or a group of someones with a lot of money coming in and saying, look, we are a part of the reason we are at where we are at, so we are just going to go ahead and go after Hugh Freeze. No fan out there should expect that Boosters should spend their millions like that. To hold those expectations is selfish and ungrateful IMO. We are blessed to have the boosters we have.

So, there it is. We should be and more likely will be stuck with Pruitt unless our boosters do something we should not expect them to do. We in fact should hold onto him, not only until Dooley and Butch and whoever else are paid off, but also until we find the right person to lead our program back to glory.

I will leave it with this, however. Timing and fit are everything and the right coaches are few and far in between. You can, however, buy the right timing if you have the money. Again, noone should expect this of anyone, but it may be worth it for someone to think about.

On that note, Freeze is the sexiest hire, but I see him going to Michigan or somewhere else—mainly because of how much he will cost Tennessee on top of our buyouts and the fact the more traditional influencers at Tennessee will lack the excitement of bringing a guy with stains on his resume to Knoxville. However, if Fitzgerald (NW) and Tom Allen (Indiana) continue to perform this year, they will end up looking to be the type of coach that we need. They would have a lot more to work with than they did at their other stops.

It seems as though it is likely, however, that we will watch a handful of coaches go buy and stick with Pruitt. I am preparing for some boring years of football. I usually say, I hope Pruitt does it, but as he continues to make dismissive comments amd excuses while insulting our intelligence by claiming that we are improving, I continue to care less about him as our coach. I am sure he is a good man, but why should we care about a guy who makes excuses and undervalues the fans when he knows he is not getting the job done?

Last edited:
Reactions: lifeVol
How do you decide who your next coach is going to be when you already have a coach under contract? How exactly would that work? Who has done that?

Reactions: vegasvolfan
I agree with the OP, we cannot fire another coach without the perfect replacement in hand. That is what got us in this mess. Hopefully we have learned that painful lesson.

Regardless of how well he does, we should not fire him until we know who his replacement is going to be. We will need a coach that has rebuilt a program before—someone who has been able to do more with less against power 5 teams. If we fire him without knowing who our next coach is only to replace him with a coach who has shown signs of progress in different situations, we will repeat the cycle we started when we fired Fulmer all over again. Yep, this all started when we fired a HOF coach with zero idea of who we were going to replace him with.

Regardless of how well he does, we should not fire him until we know who his replacement is going to be. We will need a coach that has rebuilt a program before—someone who has been able to do more with less against power 5 teams. If we fire him without knowing who our next coach is only to replace him with a coach who has shown signs of progress in different situations, we will repeat the cycle we started when we fired Fulmer all over again. Yep, this all started when we fired a HOF coach with zero idea of who we were going to replace him with.

Your way is the way it is done by competent administrations.

I’ve defended Pruitt for a long time. This year proved he ain’t fit for a HC position. I believe he is a great defensive coordinator... but the crown lays heavy. He makes a fine general, but not a king.

The rigors and responsibility of being the head honcho have gotten to him. He looks exhausted and his comments have gotten shorter and more abrasive. I honestly don’t think Pruitt would mind going back to bama as the D coordinator at this point. He has even said that before (which was telling and stupid). The man just looks in over his head.

We can’t take another gamble on unproven, bargain bin coaches. We HAVE to go get a winner and soon. I fear for our recruiting if we don’t. When everyone sees the writing on the wall, so do the croots. Some players will jump ship as well. We have yet to hit rock bottom with Pruitt at the helm I’m afraid.

All I know is if we slack and lose another pretty big time hire to another SEC school I will be fully convinced that no one there cares about the future of this program.

Reactions: De La Cloobs
How do you decide who your next coach is going to be when you already have a coach under contract? How exactly would that work? Who has done that?
I honestly can’t speak to that and you could be absolutely spot on.

***Regardless of how poorly he does, we should not fire him until we know who his replacement is going to be. We will need a coach that has rebuilt a program before—someone who has been able to do more with less against power 5 teams. If we fire him without knowing who our next coach is only to replace him with a coach who has shown merely signs of progress in different situations, we will repeat the cycle we started when we fired Fulmer all over again. Yep, this all started when we fired a HOF coach with zero idea of who we were going to replace him with.

I really want Pruitt to succeed. Vol Nation NEEDs him to succeed. But I am totally baffled by his dogged insistence on starting JG. Even if JG does give us the best chance to win this year (something I highly doubt), what about next year? Why not let the super-talented freshman get as many reps as possible?

I really want Pruitt to succeed. Vol Nation NEEDs him to succeed. But I am totally baffled by his dogged insistence on starting JG. Even if JG does give us the best chance to win this year (something I highly doubt), what about next year? Why not let the super-talented freshman get as many reps as possible?
How can you STILL have hope he's going to work out? How? Being an optimist is one thing, but being an absolute glutton for punishment is another.

VN Store

Back