Lady Vols Win - 24 Turnovers

Spook1

Ancient Vol
The Lady Vols won, but 24 turnovers in the game is absolutely not good,,,ETSU had 22. The LV improved on free throws from the last game. An encouraging part of the game was the 16 steals by the LV. This is early in the season and we should make some improvements for the next games.

LOL because we know 24 turnover game so well, I also felt this was not a bad 24 turnover game.. Whatever that means.

Reactions: madtownvol
Marta was to casual with ball tonight. Walker was as well but not as bad as Marta though. If what others were saying that Coach had 2 tough practices leading into game explains the play of the newcomers. Green was only one that improved from first game. Other 3 took step back.

Reactions: sccshortstop
Marta was to casual with ball tonight. Walker was as well but not as bad as Marta though. If what others were saying that Coach had 2 tough practices leading into game explains the play of the newcomers. Green was only one that improved from first game. Other 3 took step back.

I thought walker was causal that one time but the rest was solid in a limited number of minutes. i want to see her have an upward number of 25-27 i also think in a game she needs to she can put pressure on the others team pg to keep her from scoring.

Reactions: glv98
ETSU had weak ballhandling guards who would sometimes lose the ball just dribbling without any contact. But still, in previous years, the Lady Vols would struggle with teams like that. I believe those days are over. Burrell did look like the best player on the floor. I think in time they will be a top 20 team, maybe even higher.

The Lady Vols won, but 24 turnovers in the game is absolutely not good,,,ETSU had 22. The LV improved on free throws from the last game. An encouraging part of the game was the 16 steals by the LV. This is early in the season and we should make some improvements for the next games.
First I am and have been a Lady Vol for Many Many years. The team looked worse in this game than they did in the first game. The offense did move a little better, but not much. Jordan Horstan needs to stop putting on a clinic dribbling and playing out of control, and she will be the best and most athletic player on the team. Tamara Key looks like she doesn't even want to be on the court. The girls need to play with more passion and stop being so selfish. Putting up a 3 pointer with only 10 or 12 seconds gone in the shot clock is ridiculous because they could get those shots most anytime. The defense needs to be in the face of the opposing player instead of standing back and making eye contact. Can you imagine the look and the speech the girls would have gotten from Pat on their way to the end of the bench. The last thing I wish we had a coach that would realize that timeouts are there for a reason, and there is no penalty to use some of them in a game. We will certainly loose to the first good team we play if Kelly does not require more and become more strict. We have so much talent but the shots will not always fall, so we need to play as a TEAM. I do love the Lady Vols but this is what I have seen so far from the first two games

First I am and have been a Lady Vol for Many Many years. The team looked worse in this game than they did in the first game. The offense did move a little better, but not much. Jordan Horstan needs to stop putting on a clinic dribbling and playing out of control, and she will be the best and most athletic player on the team. Tamara Key looks like she doesn't even want to be on the court. The girls need to play with more passion and stop being so selfish. Putting up a 3 pointer with only 10 or 12 seconds gone in the shot clock is ridiculous because they could get those shots most anytime. The defense needs to be in the face of the opposing player instead of standing back and making eye contact. Can you imagine the look and the speech the girls would have gotten from Pat on their way to the end of the bench. The last thing I wish we had a coach that would realize that timeouts are there for a reason, and there is no penalty to use some of them in a game. We will certainly loose to the first good team we play if Kelly does not require more and become more strict. We have so much talent but the shots will not always fall, so we need to play as a TEAM. I do love the Lady Vols but this is what I have seen so far from the first two games

See and i want Rennia to be more selfish that’s it that’s the post because we don’t see the best players in the country deferring to their teammates while they help make them better they know what time it is and that they are on the court to make their presence known.

That might be one of my major issues with Kellie. Vic let Charlie Collier get 44 points/15 rebounds and she played 34 min in a blow out! He let her feel good and continue to play good.

I think Kellie has to be ok with letting Rae stay in the game when she is hot. I have seen Rennia do the same thing the kids get going then they are on the bench to let someone else play. the heck with that get yours as long as it’s benefitting the team!

is Tamara, Tamari's sister?

Coach, everybody likes a little ass, but nobody likes a smart ass...
(From your friend)
81w3WXAyktL.jpg

See and i want Rennia to be more selfish that’s it that’s the post because we don’t see the best players in the country deferring to their teammates while they help make them better they know what time it is and that they are on the court to make their presence known.

That might be one of my major issues with Kellie. Vic let Charlie Collier get 44 points/15 rebounds and she played 34 min in a blow out! He let her feel good and continue to play good.

I think Kellie has to be ok with letting Rae stay in the game when she is hot. I have seen Rennia do the same thing the kids get going then they are on the bench to let someone else play. the heck with that get yours as long as it’s benefitting the team!

I cringed when Coach K took Rae out,,she was 2 pts off of her career high

Well, Horston had a nice bounce back game. She still forced some passes but did well, when she was essentially playing in Rennia's slot.

Burrell had another good game; comparable or better than against WK.

Marta struggled a bit more but I noticed some subtle things she did at times. Like very automatic behind the back dribbles to break pressure; knowing when to speed up or slow down the game. She and Walker sometimes looked bad on a play because the offense was stagnant and so any pass was forced. Movement off the ball is an area where the LVs need to get more consistency. They look good on every odd possession but most of the time, there is a lot of standing around and on and one isolation play.
She is a player who can take pressure of the PG and I think she will be a great press breaker as the season goes on.

Rennia did well in adjusting to her foul trouble.

The LVs have not gelled yet but the squad rotation strategy makes that kind of team cohesion more difficult to attain. I am not convinced that this approach is sustainable against higher caliber teams but time will tell.

Last edited:

I really don't see a selfish team at all. The game has changed. 3pt shooting is a big part of winning. The old school view is that 3pt shots are lazy and selfish where passing the ball around and trying to get points in the paint is "virtuous," team ball. But teams pack the paint against the LVs and the LVs have to be able to shoot them out of those kind of defensive strategies. The LVs shot 4 for 14 from outseid; that is actually a low number of threes and the % needs to go up a bit. 33% from behind the arc is equivalent to 50% for 2 pointers. So, they need to get better and more comfortable from shooting outside and also have better movement off the ball because too often, their half court sets wind up as TOs. In the imperfect world that is LV basketball, I take a missed trey over a forced passed to a double-teamed post player.

On Tamari (like Rennia) that is just her demeanor. Some players are rah rah types and other are poker faced.

“....On Tamari (like Rennia) that is just her demeanor. Some players are rah rah types and other are poker faced.

I actually agree with your entire post, but that right there calls for a resounding AMEN!
Tiger Woods is arguably the greatest golfer ever. If it’s even arguable (I know less then nothing about golf). He’s also a fist-pumper. If pumping your fist, high-fiving, spiking the ball, etc., is your thing, then have at it. There are too many amazing athletes, however ...who just don’t need that “something extra.” This doesn’t mean that they “don’t want it.” And yet they’re criticized for their “casualness.” So, a-thousand times, Thanks!

There’s so much that, well, the rest of you have already covered. I can only add, we are better - as a TEAM. I’m not sure how many, if any more wins this might translate to - several of those other teams are also pretty good - but our girls look like they’re starting to “git it!”

However, I must correct you, and others, on your favorable comparison(s) (from another thread) of Marta Suárez ...to Williams, Doncic, and some other greats. Perhaps you’re much younger than I recall, because, if you watch Marta play, and your mind doesn’t immediately time-travel to the mid-seventies - and Ernie Grunfeld, well, then, I can’t help you. (A little bait here for our friend, Darth).

But, most importantly, did your sons get to Soccer this fall, or is that a Spring thing? I obviously don’t know much about Soccer either.

Cheers!

....On Tamari (like Rennia) that is just her demeanor. Some players are rah rah types and other are poker faced.

Agree as well...I have had teams where every personality showd up..
3 sitting in a group talking about school or boyfriends
2 stretching and getting physically ready
1 doing her hair and checking her makeup
1 sitting alone, staring at the court going into a "mindset"
etc
and it perplexed me as to how once they hit the floor, there was no division or faction between them

Tamari is not the type of player to "bow-up" or intimidate, she just goes to work and does her job

I really don't see a selfish team at all. The game has changed. 3pt shooting is a big part of winning. The old school view is that 3pt shots are lazy and selfish where passing the ball around and trying to get points in the paint is "virtuous," team ball. But teams pack the paint against the LVs and the LVs have to be able to shoot them out of those kind of defensive strategies. The LVs shot 4 for 14 from outseid; that is actually a low number of threes and the % needs to go up a bit. 33% from behind the arc is equivalent to 50% for 2 pointers. So, they need to get better and more comfortable from shooting outside and also have better movement off the ball because too often, their half court sets wind up as TOs. In the imperfect world that is LV basketball, I take a missed trey over a forced passed to a double-teamed post player.

On Tamari (like Rennia) that is just her demeanor. Some players are rah rah types and other are poker faced.
I was able to see the press conference a minute or two ago, even I saw it a day late Kelly addressed every single thing that I stated above, and stated that it would be corrected. i still do not think that she holds the girls accountable in a live game. Sometimes they do need a pat on the back but a seat on the bench and you will see who wants to play TEAM Basketball

VN Store

Back