Here is what I want in a coach.

TheFlash1971

This is what I want our next coach to be like, as in expectations.
1. Can beat Florida at least every other year.
2. Beat Georgia 2 out of every 3 years.
3. Play in the SEC championship 1 out of every 4 years.
4. Be in play off 1 out of every 4 years.
5. Make Tennessee Football a national staple for good.

Final thought would be when a good coach leaves for whatever reason we never settle for a dollar store coach again. Hire another good coach.
Hate to say this but make us like Ohio State, as in always replacing coaches with more good coaches. That place will never be down for as long as weve been down.
Just tired of this when their is no reason we should not have a good coach.

Go VOLS!!!

Freeze I don’t think could even do ALL of that and he’s who I want the most. None of the typical names thrown around lately (Campbell, Fickell, Napier, Chadwell, Holiday, Edwards, Marrone, on and on and on) could sniff that kind of success.

it’d take an Urban Myer or Bob Stoop level hire to get that level of success with UT.

Everybody wants that. The qualifications that turns into that coach is the hard part - hard to identify.

Final thought would be when a good coach leaves for whatever reason we never settle for a dollar store coach again. Hire another good coach.
Hate to say this but make us like Ohio State, as in always replacing coaches with more good coaches. That place will never be down for as long as weve been down.

Go VOLS!!!
That’s what every team other than bama, Clemson and Ohio state want.

Hell, it would be a drastic improvement if we beat Georgia and Florida 1 out of every 3 years. The reality is, unless demographics change or one of those programs hires a really crappy coach they are probably going to beat us more often than not. They have a natural advantage over us in recruiting, anyway before we start dominating those schools, we've got to figure out how not to lose 34-7 to Kentucky at home, win lay up non conference games like Georgia State and not lose to first year head coaches at places like Arkansas.

Reactions: turnuptheVOLtage
If CLEMSON can get to that level.... I can guarandamntee you that UT can get there. WTF are ya'll taking about?

Reactions: lewis co vol
You achieve your goals by:
Hiring a coach who recruits AND develops players.
Installs a winning culture that lasts beyond his tenure at the helm.
Is able to make adjustments on the fly during the game.
Is not so stubborn as to shy away from making player changes if a guy is not performing.
Gets the absolute most out of the guys on his team regardless of who recruited them.
Hires really good assistants and lets them do their job.
This coach would also have a passion for study of his team and opponents.

Go VOLS!!!
And then when that happens we will be complaining why can't we get more out of the coach!

I know all these coach related threads are fun and speculative but I'm wondering if there are a lot of fans actually expecting that Tennessee will make a coaching change. Are there? It seems obviously not possible to me given the 40 million dollar revenue shortfall this year. That being the case, I say keep pulling for Pruitt to figure things out. He probably won't. But, as a fan, that's an easier posture for me to take at this point.

Go VOLS!!!
You left the most important off the list, at least for me.
Beat the Crimson Tide. Let the rest fall where it may.

Go VOLS!!!

Here's where college football administrators would reject your list: It's based on results. Performance. You know, like any other business.

However, college football administrators craft contracts for themselves and their coaches that guarantee money and require zero performance metrics. There's zero accountability in the contract of a coach. And although they hypocritically demand and preach accountability at their subordinates, coaches are the last people on earth who actually want to have any of it.

Go VOLS!!!
I agree entirely. Would add one more line, and amend a line you already have:

6. Man of character, who can instill positive values in our lads and will demand them of his assistant coaches.

And the amendment:

1. Can beat Florida and Bama at least every other year.

Go Vols!

VN Store

Back