Just hear me out on Pruitt.....

Orange931

I’m not taking sides with anybody on the issue, but the fact is the RESULTS are not looking good. Let’s say Pruitts hands were tied with JG and Bailey comes out breathing new life into the program. I know everyone else has dealt with Covid as well, but Bailey missed a lot of coaching and reps because of this crappy pandemic. I may be digging too deep but I honestly think when Pruitt kept saying “JG gives us the best chance to win”, I think he was saying that because Bailey hasn’t had the reps. I also agree that Bailey should’ve gotten more reps earlier, that’s the one part that upsets me the most. I want the results (wins) just as much as anybody and I’m mad as hell about how this program has seemed to go backwards after a somewhat positive year last year, but what will everyone’s reactions be if Bailey comes out on fire?

We should’ve had Shrout and Maurer better prepared too. Im sorry, but in the Mizzou game and Kentucky games we should’ve had HB in there a lot sooner. also Pruitt practically said he threw and kept Bailey on scout team until Kentucky game, which should not have happened. I hope Pruitt proves us all wrong and is able to turn it around, but its looking very unlikely

We should’ve had Shrout and Maurer better prepared too. Im sorry, but in the Mizzou game and Kentucky games we should’ve had HB in there a lot sooner. also Pruitt practically said he threw and kept Bailey on scout team until Kentucky game, which should not have happened. I hope Pruitt proves us all wrong and is able to turn it around, but its looking very unlikely

I can agree, but I’m just looking at it from another perspective. What if the pandemic never happened and he got his reps, would Pruitt have put him out there sooner considering he would have had a full offseason?

Reactions: ArdentVol
giphy.gif

I'll just say this. I'm super unhappy about the way that everything has turned out this year. BUT, if Pruitt's handling of Bailey to this point has been so that he would be truly ready, and he now has the reps and preparation to do well, and he comes out and does well against our last 1-3 opponents (depending on what games actually get played), and then he goes on to have a solid career here, then, okay.

At this point, no griping or complaining about Pruitt will change the fact that we are 2-5 right now. However, if he can figure out a way to stop the bleeding by providing a glimmer of hope, then alright. Bailey and Gray can be that glimmer of hope. I really think Bailey, Gray, Hyatt and Wideman are the future of the offense.

I don't believe or expect that we will beat Florida. We have not proven ourselves to be successful against the pass, which is Florida's strength. However, I do believe that we can have a solid, BALANCED offensive performance with Bailey at QB. And if that happens, I'll be excited for the future, and I'll still maintain hope that maybe Pruitt will get it done next year.

I'm sorry, but I am not one who perpetually promotes another coaching search. I think Pruitt and Co. are facing serious adversity and for a young head coach, I'm sure that this season has been more difficult than normal. I want to believe that given a competent quarterback that we can absolutely be the team that we all thought we would be.

Again, my name is TN Hopeful for a reason. I hate that we are 2-5. But I would much rather see Pruitt succeed than to blow it all up and drag our school through the mud again. I believe very strongly that he will get another year here, and I believe he should. I don't believe that one year of underperforming should get you canned, especially when Spring Practice is taken from you, summer conditioning is taken from you, and a lot of your squad is missing due to strict contact tracing in your state. I know every school had to deal with these things, I know. But I do believe that it puts an asterisk on a team who otherwise, had an 8 game win streak until Georgia this year.

Honestly, I am fully expecting to lose A&M and Florida. However, IF we can come out and put some solid drives together, making some splash plays and IF Bailey shows potential that can be built on, then I'm going to be super happy and excited for next year, when HOPEFULLY things are a little more back to normal.

I can agree, but I’m just looking at it from another perspective. What if the pandemic never happened and he got his reps, would Pruitt have put him out there sooner considering he would have had a full offseason?

so, looking at our original schedule, i feel like probably around the South Carolina game (October 10) would have been the time HB would've taken the reigns. I feel like JG would have played good against Charlotte, decent at best vs Oklahoma, good against Furman, bad against Florida, then Missouri week HB starts taking reps, plays some vs Mizzou, and likely fully takes reigns USCjr or Bama the next game.

I'll just say this. I'm super unhappy about the way that everything has turned out this year. BUT, if Pruitt's handling of Bailey to this point has been so that he would be truly ready, and he now has the reps and preparation to do well, and he comes out and does well against our last 1-3 opponents (depending on what games actually get played), and then he goes on to have a solid career here, then, okay.

At this point, no griping or complaining about Pruitt will change the fact that we are 2-5 right now. However, if he can figure out a way to stop the bleeding by providing a glimmer of hope, then alright. Bailey and Gray can be that glimmer of hope. I really think Bailey, Gray, Hyatt and Wideman are the future of the offense.

I don't believe or expect that we will beat Florida. We have not proven ourselves to be successful against the pass, which is Florida's strength. However, I do believe that we can have a solid, BALANCED offensive performance with Bailey at QB. And if that happens, I'll be excited for the future, and I'll still maintain hope that maybe Pruitt will get it done next year.

I'm sorry, but I am not one who perpetually promotes another coaching search. I think Pruitt and Co. are facing serious adversity and for a young head coach, I'm sure that this season has been more difficult than normal. I want to believe that given a competent quarterback that we can absolutely be the team that we all thought we would be.

Again, my name is TN Hopeful for a reason. I hate that we are 2-5. But I would much rather see Pruitt succeed than to blow it all up and drag our school through the mud again. I believe very strongly that he will get another year here, and I believe he should. I don't believe that one year of underperforming should get you canned, especially when Spring Practice is taken from you, summer conditioning is taken from you, and a lot of your squad is missing due to strict contact tracing in your state. I know every school had to deal with these things, I know. But I do believe that it puts an asterisk on a team who otherwise, had an 8 game win streak until Georgia this year.

Honestly, I am fully expecting to lose A&M and Florida. However, IF we can come out and put some solid drives together, making some splash plays and IF Bailey shows potential that can be built on, then I'm going to be super happy and excited for next year, when HOPEFULLY things are a little more back to normal.

I can agree here. It seems to me the team is just ready to move on. I haven’t looked forward to a game since Maurer started against Georgia in 2018. JG just doesn’t get me hyped, hell ive been more hyped during the bad crompdaddy days. Of course he got better under Kiffin, but you know what I mean.

Reactions: ArdentVol
I’m not taking sides with anybody on the issue, but the fact is the RESULTS are not looking good. Let’s say Pruitts hands were tied with JG and Bailey comes out breathing new life into the program. I know everyone else has dealt with Covid as well, but Bailey missed a lot of coaching and reps because of this crappy pandemic. I may be digging too deep but I honestly think when Pruitt kept saying “JG gives us the best chance to win”, I think he was saying that because Bailey hasn’t had the reps. I also agree that Bailey should’ve gotten more reps earlier, that’s the one part that upsets me the most. I want the results (wins) just as much as anybody and I’m mad as hell about how this program has seemed to go backwards after a somewhat positive year last year, but what will everyone’s reactions be if Bailey comes out on fire?

If Bailey lights it up and the team plays better, I will be pretty dang excited about it. That doesn’t change my opinion that Pruitt needs to go. QB management isn’t the only red flag IMO.

If Bailey lights it up and the team plays better, I will be pretty dang excited about it. That doesn’t change my opinion that Pruitt needs to go. QB management isn’t the only red flag IMO.

I think QB management will honestly change the mindset of the whole team. I truly believe that’s where we stand.

I think a lot of missed opportunities to get Bailey reps during our "stellar" 5 game skid are inexcusable.

I agree and I pointed that out. If Pruitt was using Covid to hold him back he definitely should have been getting him reps during earlier games.

Reactions: lifeVol

Look if we go out and beat #6 Florida and then # 5 Texas A&M, and beat another Bowl Game opponent, because of Bailey.

Then

1) Why didn't he start by Arkansas game?

2) You have to be optimistic about the potential moving forward.

3) He wins those 2 games, then Pruitt absolutely deserves another season. No question...

Look if we go out and beat #6 Florida and then # 5 Texas A&M, and beat another Bowl Game opponent, because of Bailey.

Then

1) Why didn't he start by Arkansas game?

2) You have to be optimistic about the potential moving forward.

3) He wins those 2 games, then Pruitt absolutely deserves another season. No question...

I honestly think people will be even more pi**ed if that happens.

Everyone will be more pissed than ever to find out Baily sat on the bench during all the games that JG through away!

I understand that and I agree. My point to this whole thing is what if Pruitt was making this a “throw away” year because of the pandemic.

How was HB going to get the reps?? If not to play him and provide starting reps in practice?

The man is simply too stubborn. To be a leader you HAVE to know, understand and change when your wrong.

Many great leaders will be wrong from time to time......heck......a lot of time.

However great leaders see this quickly and do something different.

Pruitt simply dig in his heals and kept saying and doing the same thing.

Even if the guy wasn’t ready......your losing ANYWAY. Try something......try anything!

Reactions: Kngsport VFL
This all traces back to last year, JG performed just as poorly, and that was an excuse to not get young guys into games. Therefore they got zero experience, etc etc etc. The team and QBs has been a merry go round of excuses. Meanwhile, other teams play guys not ready and let them sink or swim. Tennessee acts like they are fragile, have never played football before or need a certain number of practice hours before they can graduate to being able to play. While the team waits, the team loses and give up sets in.

I can agree here. It seems to me the team is just ready to move on. I haven’t looked forward to a game since Maurer started against Georgia in 2018. JG just doesn’t get me hyped, hell ive been more hyped during the bad crompdaddy days. Of course he got better under Kiffin, but you know what I mean.

I really think the problem is Guarantano, and please understand how much I hate to say that. I wanted that kid to succeed so badly. I remember the day that he released his commitment video and where I was when I saw it. I remember being excited that another highly ranked dual threat was going to follow up Dobbs and (hopefully) continue good things.

I remember when he was caught pouting on camera his first season, and then how he really rebounded and showed resilience during the last of the Butch years when he was getting absolutely destroyed by defenses because of a crap offensive line. I gained respect for the way he took hits and just kept coming back. I respect how he played through a broken hand, because it's what we needed him to do.

I like the kid. I really wanted him to be successful and have a great UT career. And he has been a great ambassador for the school. But he has gotten more opportunities to prove himself than he ever would have gotten at any other school. And there have been times where he has looked incredible. I remember feeling so happy for him after the Auburn win in Pruitt's first season, and thinking "Okay, maybe this kid and Pruitt are going to turn it around."

But he just hasn't proven himself as a reliable, consistent quarterback at the SEC level. And ultimately, that fact just is what it is. It's not that he is a bad kid, it's quite the opposite. He is a great kid. But that alone does not an SEC quarterback make.

I am sure that for whatever reason, it has been extremely difficult on Pruitt to pull the plug on Jarrett's career at Tennessee and most likely any pro aspirations he may have had. However, his failure to do so, I fear has caused a lot of heartache, and is likely why we are in this 2-5 hole we are in. I believe that Jeremy loves and cares for his players, and desires to reward those who do well in practice, and who work hard and study film, which, by all indications, Jarrett excels at. But, the results have not shown on the field. And I'm sure for someone like Pruitt who has been around nothing but State Championship teams like Hoover High School, and then National Championship/high level teams like Alabama, Florida State, and Georgia, that doesn't compute. I'm sure he scratches his head wondering how in the world JG can do so well at practice, know the game plan and playbook so well Sunday through Friday, and then turn around and be so singlehandedly destructive on gameday. I imagine it is similar to helping your child study for a test, quizzing him daily, and the night before the test, and even the morning of the test, he knows all of the answers, and is ready, and yet, still bombs it. It just doesn't make sense to anyone.

But I really do think that once we do move on from Jarrett, be it by Pruitt's choice (which would be the right decision) or COVID keeping him for participating (not ideal or desired), or by him just moving on, we can at least start to see where we are moving forward as a program. And when you're 2-5, likely to be 3-7 (or God forbid, 2-8), with a coach who is almost certainly going to be retained, the only thing you CAN do at this point is give your fans (and recruits who are committed and watching) reason to believe that you haven't thrown the towel in, and that there is still something to believe in.

I HOPE that we will see some of that on Saturday if it is true that Bailey is starting/playing the whole game.

VN Store

Back