Gotta love Uros for this...

We sometimes forget these athletes are young men and women sometimes overcoming a lot of obstacles to compete. Wish Uros the best in whatever he ends up doing. I do think he can be a good player for us but like others have said probably not this year. The extra year of eligibility could really help players like him, Ticket and ON.

Great link. Here's the part that hit me the hardest:

"What I don’t think people in America realize is how different everything is overseas. In the States, parents will have scheduled play dates for their kids. We don’t do that back home. You go outside after breakfast, and you don’t come back until you hear your mom yelling from the balcony to come back home to eat dinner and go to sleep. That was my life."

Damn if he didn't just describe life in the USA back in the day. We had no "play dates" as a kid. The most organized thing we had (beside school, of course) was sports. But mostly we had the great big wild outdoors. Sometimes I was so far from home, even my mom's bellow couldn't reach, and I had to follow my stomach and the street lights back to the house.

Or sometimes we'd be playing pickup ball somewhere, and I remember holding my hand in the air, and as long as I could still see my fingers against the clouds when night was falling, we were good to go. We crawled up storm drains and burrowed along the banks of creeks through the stickers, invaded abandoned sharecropper cabins, and made bike trails with "jumps" that would put you in the hospital if you didn't make it all the way across the gully. It will be hard to ever believe growing up that way wasn't better.

(I know, I know, OK Boomer....).

"What I don’t think people in America realize is how different everything is overseas. In the States, parents will have scheduled play dates for their kids. We don’t do that back home. You go outside after breakfast, and you don’t come back until you hear your mom yelling from the balcony to come back home to eat dinner and go to sleep. That was my life."

Damn if he didn't just describe life in the USA back in the day. We had no "play dates" as a kid. The most organized thing we had (beside school, of course) was sports. But mostly we had the great big wild outdoors. Sometimes I was so far from home, even my mom's bellow couldn't reach, and I had to follow my stomach and the street lights back to the house.

Or sometimes we'd be playing pickup ball somewhere, and I remember holding my hand in the air, and as long as I could still see my fingers against the clouds when night was falling, we were good to go. We crawled up storm drains and burrowed along the banks of creeks through the stickers, invaded abandoned sharecropper cabins, and made bike trails with "jumps" that would put you in the hospital if you didn't make it all the way across the gully. It will be hard to ever believe growing up that way wasn't better.

I can relate to everything you said. That was my childhood as well.

I can relate to everything you said. That was my childhood as well.

I grew up in the 90s. We had a great combination of freedom and structure. I spent most of my time outdoors playing sports with neighborhood kids; playing video games with friends required you to be in one another's homes, so even that was still personable.

I feel as though the balance has shifted too far towards indoor time. My kids play a lot of sports, so they spend a lot of time outside, but most kids I know that don't play organized sports spend all of their time indoors.

Same here. My mom had a cow bell that she would ring to call us home for supper.
I grew up on a farm and when the duties were caught up you had no choice but to stay outside and “play”. And mom never worried about us even if we were gone the entire day playing, exploring, etc. Man I miss those days!

I grew up in the 90s. We had a great combination of freedom and structure. I spent most of my time outdoors playing sports with neighborhood kids; playing video games with friends required you to be in one another's homes, so even that was still personable.

I feel as though the balance has shifted too far towards indoor time. My kids play a lot of sports, so they spend a lot of time outside, but most kids I know that don't play organized sports spend all of their time indoors.

I was born in the mid-90s and I feel like people my age were really the last ones to get even some of that experience of freedom. Even my sister who is only 4 years younger than me had a vastly different experience growing up. When I was in elementary/middle school, I spent a good amount of time playing outside with neighborhood kids. My sister on the other hand, scheduled play dates with kids her age mostly. Crazy how fast things changed.

It seemed that right as cell phones became a thing that every kid had, the amount of control from parents and time spent indoors sky-rocketed, and I do think this is a big factor.

Yeah, I was 5 in '76, so my childhood was very similar, although I usually had to come back and check in around lunchtime, then I was back outside, usually playing ball or riding my bike, until the street lights came on. In the early 80s, I had an Atari and an Odyssey 2, but that was only played at night or when it was too cold or rainy to go outside. Of course, I was sports nut even in single digits, so I watched every boxing match, tennis, basketball, football and baseball game on TV, even tho I would go outside and play during commercials

And really soak the statement in below for a moment. I know when I was growing up, even in a small town, this is the way kids thought. Not in today's America. There is a large segment that sells it's bad place for certain people. How did the country get so twisted over the last decade or so?

In Uros own words:
"Back home we always say that America is the land of opportunity. And I got my opportunity, and that’s all I needed."

Wow. Great post and 100% spot on. We're watching the demise of a generation happening. 😒

Reactions: ClockworkOrange

VN Store

Back